Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Schwann
A shame. The RJ was always an interesting and now rare type to fly on.
+1, if it wasn't for this plane, there would be no LCY.
alex67500 and Delboy65 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
BBC News - Flybe: Regional carrier ceases trading and cancels all flights
Old Jan 28, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Theoretically, this means BA will get 7x daily slots back at Heathrow. I guess this means some more domestic frequencies will be added, and maybe even a new route.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Theoretically, this means BA will get 7x daily slots back at Heathrow. I guess this means some more domestic frequencies will be added, and maybe even a new route.
Wasn't the destination restriction only for a limited period?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

On ba.com

Special fares for Flybe customers

We're offering special fares on selected routes Find out more

Summary

Following the suspension of Flybe services, British Airways is supporting affected customers by offering them discounted one-way fares of 50/€60 plus taxes, fees and charges. This special fare includes one piece of hold luggage of 23kg.

More information
We are offering discounted one-way fares of 50/€60 plus taxes, fees and charges between London and the following cities:

• Belfast
• Newcastle
• Amsterdam

Customers who previously held a confirmed booking for Flybe to or from the above cities who wish to take advantage of the special fare should contact our customer service team quoting their Flybe booking reference. The rescue fares are available for travel up to and including 08 February 2023.

We will help as much as we can in the coming days, but please bear with us as we are experiencing a high volume of calls.
HIDDY and KARFA like this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Surprised they went so quick, is the domestic market that bad......

I helped a friend get from Bristol to Stornoway for a funeral last week....Logan Air with a stop 1400, BA from LHR then Logan Air 1360.....they're obviously selling seats.

In the end Bristol to Inverness on EZY, car rental and ferry - 500.

I had reason to travel from Lancashire to Norwich last week, trains awful (if not on strike), driving a pain, the Mancheater to Norwich flight was ideal for this kind of cross country journey.

Can't see BA adding much to the domestic market beyond more connections to LHR sadly.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by tuonopepper

I helped a friend get from Bristol to Stornoway for a funeral last week....Logan Air with a stop 1400, BA from LHR then Logan Air 1360.....they're obviously selling seats.

In the end Bristol to Inverness on EZY, car rental and ferry - 500.

I had reason to travel from Lancashire to Norwich last week, trains awful (if not on strike), driving a pain, the Mancheater to Norwich flight was ideal for this kind of cross country journey.

Can't see BA adding much to the domestic market beyond more connections to LHR sadly.
Flew BRS-AMS-NWI-AMS-BRS last week with KLM. AMS noticeable for the sheer number of City Hoppers ( all Embraers it seemed) feeding into long haul and other City Hopper flights. Great service, no need to take out electronics or liquids at AMS, cheap, quick trains to and from Amsterdam....looking forward to LHR at the end of Feb.
marconess and tuonopepper like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
Desperately sorry , particularly for the staff ,to see FLY BE 2 go , if they could have held on a few more months things might have worked out : Loganair aside. It has the support of the Scottish Government with its AD Scheme ,but domestic business travell looks like being slow to recover , I suspect many people are using the roads because it is seen as less disreputable Across the Irish sea , usually a busy routes for business people things have not recovered , On Thursday flew BHD - GLA on Emerald uk , prime time , an ATR -72 , 60% capacity , I paid 40 for a single at short notice , before lock down FLYBE did this service at least 4 a day and charge minimum 100 , , the market is not there yet ,
Old Jan 29, 2023, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by 47Aitken
if they could have held on a few more months things might have worked out
This is pie in the sky. Theres very little to suggest this airline really had a viable long term business model.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 7:17 am

Given the title of the thread, here are Willie Walsh's comments on the grounding of Flybe Mark I in March 2020. The definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I've absolutely no doubt that you know, there are airlines out there that just can't survive this. And, you know, I feel sorry for some of them. Others I don't. Like, I can have no sympathy for the likes of Flybe, you know, in an environment like this. You know, that's a business model that doesn't work with shareholders that have suddenly cottoned on that they've bought a dog. And you know, the idea that the British government is going to bail them out in this environment I think is madness. So, you know, I have no hesitation in saying that I don't see governments coming to the rescue of weak airlines. They don't need to. There are plenty of airlines out there that are in a healthy position who will provide the capacity that is required.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
No, but they really didn't help themselves.
They were 95% of Southampton airport in Flybe V1 days. Since then, Eastern Airways took up the Southampton - Belfast City route and then Aer Lingus Regional came in as well. It's a fairly popular route, quietest I recall would be over 50% of the ATRs seats filled and occasionally Eastern would deploy their E190.

Guess who decided they'd also like to try and get back in on the action... Three separate regional carriers going from small regional airport to small regional airport. Given the choice between ATR or Dash 8, I know which one I'd pick. Let alone the higher pricing, utterly poor reliability and awful customer service. No thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I only ever looked at AMS-BHX for FlyBe2, but they listed KLM-level prices in a market that now has U2 service - with the added danger that they'd go bust before your flight. There's a decent market - pretty sure KL and BE were routinely full before the pandemic - and U2's price advantage is illusory if you [think you] need to take a rollaboard, but three carriers in that market seemed bullish.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 8:50 pm

Norwegian airline Flyr has joined the list filing for bankruptcy. Their intended OSL-LGW service will not now be starting.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:20 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Air Belgium has asked the courts for insolvency protection against creditors.
They will stop / have stopped all scheduled passenger flights but want to continue with charter and cargo.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by AAtticus
Air Belgium has asked the courts for insolvency protection...
Source / link? I knew they were struggling but can search up nothing to support this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.