WW "airlines to go bust"

Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC
This will really hit LGW hard and I think it foreshadows the closure of the South terminal for S21. Since the last full season (S19), Gatwick have lost Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Cathay Pacific, Norwegian Long Haul and most likely BA Short Haul. Plus a fair few airlines have consolidated at LHR for now (Emirates, Air Malta etc)

It also means that LGW now has no service to JFK.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
I wonder what will happen to their 787s? Presumably back to the lessors?

Norwegian Air moves Dreamliners to Ireland ahead good-bye
Norwegian Air moves some of its aircraft, among which is at least six Boeing 787 Dreamliners, to Shannon airport ahead of repossession by Irish lessors. The air carrier has begun cutting its fleet ahead of the restructuring process under Norwegian law in order to enhance the Irish examinership.

Since mid-December 2020, Norwegian Air has been moving aircraft to Shannon Airport (SNN) with an aim to prepare the aircraft for returning them back to its Irish lessors that supply the majority of the fleet. The ongoing plane relocation comes as a part of Norwegian Air's restructuring process.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Perhaps the thread could be renamed as WW has also been "rehomed" !
and bmibaby didnt go bust, it was closed down by BA.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by TravelNew
I think "put out of it's misery" would be a better description.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
Instead of relying on the "slot remedy" pre Covid one of the regulators set a minimum number of annual seats on a particular route - to avoid joint venture airlines cutting capacity and driving up prices.

I think it was an EU-US route, but I can't remember which one. It seemed like a good way of avoiding pice gouging by the airlines involved.
This is part of the CMA deal with BA and AA to allow the JV to continue.

London to Dallas - AA and BA must operate a minimum of 870,000 seats per year on the route

London to Philadelphia - until a rival airline agrees to operate this service, AA and BA must operate a minimum of 635,300 seats per year on the route

See (my article) https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...ets-authority/
fartoomanyusers and TravelNew like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:23 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I think this may threaten LGW quite significantly now. When furlough runs out in April (may be extended of course) and unless the vaccination is recognised by countries as not needing to test or isolate when flying then I have serious doubts about LGW's ability to keep trading.

The problem at the moment is many destinations require a pre-flight test, an after landing test in the destination and the same on the return journey now....and many still need the isolation period too. Totally unsustainable!
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I think "put out of it's misery" would be a better description.
if you wanted to enjoy the misery a little longer, I think Jet2 acquired some former bmibaby B737s for their flights from EMA.
Mr Huzar probably wears the crown for Jet2 misery though, and subsequently saved some passengers from EC261 2004 misery.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by TravelNew
I dont think Baby was included in the airline Lufthansa sold to BA
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Prospero
I dont think Baby was included in the airline Lufthansa sold to BA
Correct. By the time of the sale of the parent company, bmibaby was such a basket case that it didnt attract a buyer, and closed down.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Correct. By the time of the sale of the parent company, bmibaby was such a basket case that it didnt attract a buyer, and closed down.
BA-owner IAG completes BMI takeover http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17786998 refers to bmibaby.

There have been reports that BA agreed to pay EU 261:2004 compensation claims with regard to bmibaby flights.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/59379029/#Comment_59379029

Last edited by TravelNew; Jan 14, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I wonder what will happen to their 787s? Presumably back to the lessors?
They're about 5-6 787's frames sitting at Prestwick receiving upgrade work with Chevron Technical. I guess they'll be back to the lessor
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
I think this may threaten LGW quite significantly now. When furlough runs out in April (may be extended of course) and unless the vaccination is recognised by countries as not needing to test or isolate when flying then I have serious doubts about LGW's ability to keep trading.
It’s probably as much of a risk to LTN to be honest, as given the right offer Wizz would likely move their operations south.

I think there’s a lot of companies in the travel industry that are putting all their eggs into the H2/2021 basket, and are assuming that a big-bang reopening is on the way which will release an explosion of pent-up demand. I think that’s why there’s currently little in the way of competitive pricing, as market confidence is low and airlines especially don’t see much need to get early bookings. If they’re right, LGW will be fine. But it’s a big gamble - how many times have we heard ‘the end is near’ only for the road to turn out to have more and more bends...
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by BAeuro
It also means that LGW now has no service to JFK.
Although that is only temporary, as Jet Blue have been awarded slots for a daily LGW-JFK. Due to start at some point this year, but given the pandemic when is anyones guess. Most likely w21.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:41 pm

I wouldn't worry about LGW, I'd worry about STN and LTN - I'm sure the low cost airlines would dump those two airports in a heartbeat in favor of LGW. I know I'd consider flying FR if I didn't have to trek out to STN. As it is, 2+ hours on the train just isn't feasible for a weekend break.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Akoz
Although that is only temporary, as Jet Blue have been awarded slots for a daily LGW-JFK. Due to start at some point this year, but given the pandemic when is anyones guess. Most likely w21.
Indeed. This is arguably the best time for JetBlue to start the route, given theyll face no direct competition and may pick up the UKs South Coast travellers bound for NYC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.