Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by jonas123
It's really quite a sensible (and normal) thing to do right now, easy way to get cash through the door. In reality, it looks like these are 2 new dreamliners, so it means that VS doesn't have to find the cash to pay the final delivery payments plus will get some money as they will have paid pre-delivery payments leading up to receiving the aircraft.
VS's last 787-9 was delivered in 2018, so will be two 'old' ones.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Following the Irish part of Norwegian going into "examinership" a few weeks ago, they are now putting the main Norwegian part into bankruptcy protection in Norway:

https://www.thelocal.dk/20201208/nor...tion-in-norway
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Looks like a sad end of the road for Norwegian - at least for long-haul

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/...rk/ar-BB1cK7SJ

"The Oslo-based airline is to abandon its transatlantic and Asian network of long-haul flights – many of them based at the Sussex airport.

"Around 1,100 UK crew will be made redundant, along with a similar number in France, Italy, Spain and the US."
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Hydebear
Looks like a sad end of the road for Norwegian - at least for long-haul

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/...rk/ar-BB1cK7SJ

"The Oslo-based airline is to abandon its transatlantic and Asian network of long-haul flights – many of them based at the Sussex airport.

"Around 1,100 UK crew will be made redundant, along with a similar number in France, Italy, Spain and the US."
It does now seem that IAG dogged a bullet when their offer to buy Norwegian was turned down.
Dan72 and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:56 am

I wonder what will happen to their 787s? Presumably back to the lessors?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
According to London Air Travel, there are 37 787s to be rehomed. They also note that it might be a blow to BA's joint business on transatlantic flights, since it's still under review by the CMA.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Perhaps the thread could be renamed as WW has also been "rehomed" !
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Not really a surprise, unfortunately - they've had some number of escapes and the luck was always going to run out.

Bad news for consumers as that's a competitor gone (granted their pricing was not sustainable) and bad news for Gatwick as well. Hopefully the short haul can make it through.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Perhaps the thread could be renamed as WW has also been "rehomed" !
I always took this as Worldwide, did I miss a reference?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:32 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by alex67500
Willie Walsh
alex67500 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Walsh, Willie.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:34 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Airprox
Walsh, Willie.
Walsh, Willie, airline failure, comments regarding.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
Willie Walsh
I know It was more a question of whether the thread was started because of one of his comments, or if it did mean worldwide.

I've gone back to the start of the thread, now I get it, sorry!
krispy84 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
According to London Air Travel, there are 37 787s to be rehomed. They also note that it might be a blow to BA's joint business on transatlantic flights, since it's still under review by the CMA.
I think the competitive landscape will be so utterly changed by COVID-19 that the CMA will have little to do except sit back. Their main tool seems to be making slots available on a remedy basis. Slots will be plentiful at most, if not all major airports in the coming years - unless IAG commits to burning money at LHR. The industry has been virtually shut-down for a year now and we have seen remarkably few failures. Schemes like furlough, business loans, rate rebates must have helped and the lessors seem to have resisted repossessing aircraft they cannot remarket. It can only be a matter of time for many, many airlines once operations restart and the operating costs come in.

The fate of these 787s will be interesting, Im sure they wont be scrapped but might hasten the scrapping of 767s and even early A330s and 777s as most airlines have more than enough 787s and A350s on order and little demand to fill the aircraft they have got. I wonder if an airline like Jet2 might see an opportunity to introduce modern, high capacity jets at a good price - possibly even power by the hour. They could offer increased capacity on some European routes and launch the likes of Orlando, which would fit their model well. Im not sure many other long-haul destinations would though. I could see them having use for 6-12 for that kind of work. There are plenty of A330s around too, which they have leased-in previously.
FamilyOf6 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
I think the competitive landscape will be so utterly changed by COVID-19 that the CMA will have little to do except sit back. Their main tool seems to be making slots available on a remedy basis. Slots will be plentiful at most, if not all major airports in the coming years - unless IAG commits to burning money at LHR.
Instead of relying on the "slot remedy" pre Covid one of the regulators set a minimum number of annual seats on a particular route - to avoid joint venture airlines cutting capacity and driving up prices.

I think it was an EU-US route, but I can't remember which one. It seemed like a good way of avoiding pice gouging by the airlines involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.