Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do you fly BA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Because they had great sales in C and F last year.

Since I pay for all of my tickets myself, I'm an opportunistic customers with very little "loyalty" to any particular airline.

Last edited by Maluku_Flyer; Feb 24, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Why do you fly BA?

The last time I looked the registered office was in the UK, IAG I agree is listed in Spain. I also do not recall stating that BA did not employ people from outside the UK only that it employs British people. BTW, I had assumed we are talking about the same airline as I am not familiar with London Airways.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
As a blind person who travels regularly, I found BA to be the best airline for me. this is mainly due to the cabin crew being extremely helpful and attentive. I keep hearing a lot about how great Emirates is but if you are a blind person travelling alone in EK, it is a nightmare. They plonk me down in my seat and forget me for the rest of the flight. Did you ever try pressing the call button in Emirates? They don't even look at it during the flight.

on the contrary, when I get into a plane with BA, they always make sure I know where the toilets and nearest exits are. The CSD usually makes sure that the crew in the cabin I am in are aware of my disability so that they don't wonder why the guy in seat 22B with his noise cancelling headphones isn't responding when asked if he wanted any drinks! they always keep an eye on my call button. Always handy on a long flight especially since I usually can't sleep when flying and get thursty often. even the ground staff and lounge personnel are extremely helpful and appear to be well trained. BA staff have always been very curteous to me. I haven't come across any rude or abrupt crew members. So I am always surprised when people complain about this.

Anyway, I always fly BA if they serve a particular route. It doesn't matter if it costs me more or that the timings are not very convenient. not everything is perfect with BA but overall, it is a far superior product for me.

But I positively hate Emirates. I once did LHR-DXB-DEL and both legs were hellish flights. couldn't even get a glass of water because they wouldn't look at the call button. Pacs in the next seat didn't speak any English. finally had to resort to asking everyone passing by in the isle if they were a crew member. DXB-DEL was an overnight flight and there weren't too many passengers moving around as well. It was one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life. Thinking about it makes me shudder even after 3 years. I would never ever go near EK again unless it is a life and death situation and I have absolutely no other alternative. But that experience has taught me to appreciate BA more. I say this again, the BA cabin crew are *fantastic*.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Because they had great sales in C and F last year.

Since I pay for all of my tickets myself, I'm an opportunistic customers with very little "loyalty" to any particular airline.
My partner took advantage of one of those great F sales last year (SYD-LHR return) - however despite the phenomenal savings (and also being British) will not consider flying them again due to appalling treatment by the cabin crew. First time in First was a really disappointing experience, sadly, and I feel a little responsible for finding the fare and offering considerable encouragement to travel to Blighty in luxury. We both favour Asian airlines, particularly Malaysian, for a variety of reasons.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / TK e+
1. Because they fly from NCL near where i live.
2. Because I have status with them.

However, I now have status with KLM so I will probably be flying less with BA, as the connections to a lot of my regular destinations are much shorter with KLM/AF and at better times of day.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Originally Posted by HMPS
What I glean here is BA crew " makes you feel at home...". What of other nationalities that flies BA, how long will they be able to feel " part of " this population segments. Yes difficult to be all things to all people's, but the ones who can deliver on the most common denominators will win in the long run.
Don't underestimate the power of a clearly differentiated product and - like it or not - the soft power that all things British still enjoy with a lot of non-Brits. This isn't about feeling "part of it", it's about enjoying a consistenly delivered brand promise and style.

On where delivering on the most common denominators takes you in the long run, just take a look at the example you mention earlier in your own post, GM...

Last edited by KIXJNB; Feb 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by KIXJNB
Don't underestimate the power of a clearly differentiated product and - like it or not - the soft power that all things British still enjoy with a lot of non-Brits. This isn't about feeling "part of it", it's about enjoying a consistenly delivered brand promise and style.

On where delivering on the most common denominators takes you in the long run, just take a look at the example you mention earlier in your own post, GM...
Please let me know which airline this is that consistently delivers brand promise and style!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
ROTFLMAO. Sorry but I've around the block and don't waive the flag.
From a First Class perspective, BA isn't even in the same league as LX or LH. Any airline that crams 14 pax in the front of a 744 in substandard (even new F) seats is not offering a true F product. Compound that disadvantage by making your F pax hike to and take a train, then serve generally inferior food and wines, and BA is nothing more than a mid-tier airline.

As for American airlines, at least they don't try to pass off coach seats with an open middle as Business Class on domestic flights.
F represent less than 5% of seats on most aircraft, yet you seem to think thats all that matters. Your problem there, not mine.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by KIXJNB

A matter of opinion and you have EVERY right to have your own. Re my example of GM, yes that happened because they put out some shoddy product and some very loyal CUSTOMERS continued to accept bad product. Had a front row seat.

The competitors gave the CUSTMERS what they wanted...price, fuel efficiency, quality, and service facilities.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by blindy
As a blind person who travels regularly,

But I positively hate Emirates. I once did LHR-DXB-DEL and both legs were hellish flights. couldn't even get a glass of water because they wouldn't look at the call button. Pacs in the next seat didn't speak any English. finally had to resort to asking everyone passing by in the isle if they were a crew member. DXB-DEL was an overnight flight and there weren't too many passengers moving around as well. It was one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life. Thinking about it makes me shudder even after 3 years. I would never ever go near EK again unless it is a life and death situation and I have absolutely no other alternative. But that experience has taught me to appreciate BA more. I say this again, the BA cabin crew are *fantastic*.
This is really awful, really awful for any airlines to give such service. I do hope that you brought it up to EK.. And I do hope that you post this on the EK forum. I myself will bring it up to EK today and every time I fly them. They need to have better training, please do send them an email. I urge you, they need to train and train their employees.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, I'm back!
I like BA, they fly where I want to go and are great value in my eyes.
I've collected enough miles/Avios over the years to make premium travel available to me (whereas pre FT/BAEC this was a pipe dream)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by blindy
As a blind person who travels regularly, I found BA to be the best airline for me. this is mainly due to the cabin crew being extremely helpful and attentive. I keep hearing a lot about how great Emirates is but if you are a blind person travelling alone in EK, it is a nightmare. They plonk me down in my seat and forget me for the rest of the flight. Did you ever try pressing the call button in Emirates? They don't even look at it during the flight.
I had never considered this, but I'm glad BA staff have! Thank you for posting it. I would have thought it important to raise it with EK, not least because people with disabilities have purchasing power and increasingly good networking abilities, so getting this right helps their bottom line. I think is fair to comment that some countries don't put so much stress on personal independence for people with special needs.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
... I am not familiar with London Airways.
There is a formula to help your understanding of how people see the difference between the two airlines:

Home less than 25 miles from LHR/LGW BA=BA
Home more than 25 miles from LHR/LGW BA=LA

Where BA is British Airways and LA is London Airways.

Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by ronin98syu
... 7. Love the sound of British English
Jolly good choice old bean! Tootle pip and ta ta for now.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Jolly good choice old bean! Tootle pip and ta ta for now.
But how long will this last ?

Ever hear Spanglish or Hingish?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.