Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do you fly BA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: Meh
BA provide direct links to where I need to go.
I am Gold and enjoy the use of good lounges globally.
The J product is solid.
In my experience I can use Avios to upgrade for me and my family. They are useful and of value, not like Hilton for example.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Firstly it is not the cabin crew who make the rules and secondly if we make an announcement asking you to comply with the rules and you ignore it we have to make our requests more of a command and I am sure some do not like this.
Another ^
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:20 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Firstly it is not the cabin crew who make the rules and secondly if we make an announcement asking you to comply with the rules and you ignore it we have to make our requests more of a command and I am sure some do not like this.
Well said! Try ignoring them on a US carrier! I am not one of these "I am here for your safety" people who use that catch-all for offhand service but ultimately we are there for that very reason. I'm afraid that debates over whether the rules are correct or not can take place here where I can ignore them. On board I am not allowed to ignore them whether I agree with them or not. It's interesting how many people seem to question our implementation of rules. Were we to know that they do for a living I wonder with how many rules they have to comply.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:34 am

They fly to more destinations I need than anyone else. I need Jersey but also Edinburgh and Denver.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: BA, UA Silver
Originally Posted by m3red

2. The cabin crew. In my experiences they are pretty uptight. For example, the whole headphones issue and electronic devices thing...one time in j the steward was outright rude. In y they are very rude. My general y experience on ba has been poor with service. I do find the seat ok though.
I flew BA for the first time in 10 years just last week, from Chennai to Heathrow, economy. It was comfortable (breakfast aside!), and I too liked the seat ... not much back support though! I was struck by the cabin crew not collecting headphones in the last 20 minutes before touchdown. You were allowed to use the entertainment provided you used BA headphones right until landing. It was relaxed end to an 11 hour flight.

I don't know if this is the norm - I last flew BA from London to Tokyo in 2003 which was also very comfortable, but since I got burnt with the cabin strikes in February 2007 to the tune of $1000+ on a trip to Newark - BA were certainly not my 1st choice either!

I suppose the point I'm making, is 2nd chances can help change your view, and BA have gone up in my estimation
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:59 am

Compared to many airlines, Emirates included, its the consistency of product. There's no angle lie flats or 10 abreast 777 economy seats to catch you out for example. If im in CW i know what seat i'll get, and so on. I like understatement in all forms, so the OTT fake friendliness of Arabic airline cabin crew puts me off, as does the lashings of gold all over Bling Air.

Cathay get the bulk of my business as they are simply the best i've flown with, but BA are a definitely second overall.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
BA flies from an airport that is convenient for me (LHR) to places I need or want to go to.

The FF Programme works for me (most of the time).
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by phol
so the OTT fake friendliness of Arabic airline cabin crew puts me off, as does the lashings of gold all over Bling Air.
^

The EK crew are never even Arabic and I too dislike the OTT ostentatious designs
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I like BA, feel comfy on it and like the seat that I get. Like LHR T5.

I take BA when flying to-from the US, as I can't imagine being in a US airline for a long time, even in F.

Now that I took the plunge and took EK and Gulf to the ME I do like them. I have been enjoying them. Like the service, like lounges, that there is someone who will carry my stuff from the lounge to the plane. Like the car service. Like that the toilets are larger than BA's, I don't have to touch anything accidentally, and on certain flights/planes they are cleaned after every passenger.

So I guess now my loyalty is divided.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Feb 23, 2013 at 6:14 am
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
^

The EK crew are never even Arabic and I too dislike the OTT ostentatious designs
Arab... the nationality is Arab, the language is Arabic.

And they have to have some Arabs, for the pax who don't speak other languages. As I have had Arabic speaking crew on BA going to the ME.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I like BA, feel comfy on it and like the seat that I get. Like LHR T5.

I take BA when flying to-from the US, as I can't imagine being in a US airline for a long time, even in F.

Now that I took the plunge and took EK and Gulf to the ME I do like them. I have been enjoying them. Like the service, like lounges, that there is someone who will carry my stuff from the lounge to the plane. Like the car service.

So I guess now my loyalty is divided.
A balanced and fair assessment.

There is life outside of BA, although I have still not been brave enough to try it. "Gold" handcuffs are the main reason, but I am generally very happy with the product.

I did try CX J last year from HKG to SYD and it was pretty good, but on balance, I would have preferred to be on a BA flight, IMHO. I know many will disagree. YMMV.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I like the BA CW product, comfy seat and very private if you have a window seat. The crew are usually very professional (yes i've experienced bad uninterested crew, but you get those on any airline). I have a BA/Amex card
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:20 am

1. Have a lot of confidence in their safety record
2. Generally good crews
3. Good short-haul network
4. Quite good FFP
5. Like LHR T5, which is quite convenient for me
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
A balanced and fair assessment.

There is life outside of BA, although I have still not been brave enough to try it. "Gold" handcuffs are the main reason, but I am generally very happy with the product.

I did try CX J last year from HKG to SYD and it was pretty good, but on balance, I would have preferred to be on a BA flight, IMHO. I know many will disagree. YMMV.
If we all liked the same think life will be way too boring.

Some like the bling, some don't. Some like other stuff. It doesn't make it any better or worse.

This is what makes interesting, is the multitude of tastes.
I personally didn't like the bling at first, but then was able to over look it, because the land service is just great. I mean.. a friend is flying on EK, he has a broken arm, EK is providing him with a cart that will transport him from the plane to immigration then onward. That is service that I can appreciate.

Then BA provides different services to their good clients.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
7. I am patriotic and like flying with my national carrier
Usted es español, ¿verdad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.