Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do you fly BA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
BA I love you, I really do, BUT on An EK 2 hr flight I get a suite, while BA, I get a regular seat.... Can you at least make the seat a bit larger and more comfy?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
BA I love you, I really do, BUT on An EK 2 hr flight I get a suite, while BA, I get a regular seat.... Can you at least make the seat a bit larger and more comfy?
How about getting rid of at least 5 seats from the 744 F cabin.
Fourteen pax in 744 First is not First Class.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by m3red
My experience was in j and the guy was just a but rude. On ek they ask you but don't seem overly fussed. I'm guilty of putting them down then when they take their seats putting my music back on! In j or f it's impossible for them to see.
No surprise you get told more than once and might find it rude, then.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
How about getting rid of at least 5 seats from the 744 F cabin.
Fourteen pax in 744 First is not First Class.
Noooooooo nooooo noooooo. I am a last minute booker, then I can't find a seat.

You see we just proved that each one would like something and BA tries to reach the middle to satisfy everyone.

I if can't find my seat after a few times, then I might think of moving somewhere else... And BA would lose me as a client eventually.

A middle ground is what they try to do.

For example today's flight was booked yesterday and luckily I got the seat that I wanted, the return.... Well I will have a suite, so I can close the door and not notice anything or anyone...same with the hotel reservations.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
My Flying with BA started years ago when i was a teenager and my parents would only fly BA and i am the same! to fly with another Airline would just feel wrong! There British and i am British and Proud! and every time i board the plane and see that Union Jack Tail Fin I feel like i am already Home!

I do have my first Emirates flight coming up in a few weeks though in J and i am not looking forward to it at all, but it was a Bargain price and their picking me up from home with their Chauffeur service that they offer! But in all honesty when i think of Emirates three words come to mind!

TACKY GOLD BLING
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
I Fly BA because as a UK resident, the number of Avios earning opportunities is countless. I have never paid to fly (other than taxes or charges) and can fly worldwide in F and J for a pittance. With the AMex 241 I can fly in F to places that would cost me £10k plus (for 2) for less than £1500 and I have loads of fun collecting the points to do so. Averaging 400k avios collected per quarter for less than £500 I could not afford to fly with any other airline. As for the manners of the staff, after flying budget for 10 years, I find them to be most pleasant.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Padmeister
I do have my first Emirates flight coming up in a few weeks though in J and i am not looking forward to it at all, but it was a Bargain price and their picking me up from home with their Chauffeur service that they offer! But in all honesty when i think of Emirates three words come to mind!

TACKY GOLD BLING
It seems like you have written EK off before even trying them, which is a shame. It's good to see what else is out there versus BA's distinctly mid-market offering.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
It seems like you have written EK off before even trying them, which is a shame. It's good to see what else is out there versus BA's distinctly mid-market offering.
I have not written them off i just know i won't like them as much as BA.

Class is something you can't buy and tacky gold bling and fake wood is not my style! But it was half the price of what BA wanted at the time so i would of been mad not to go with them, I will get on the flight with an open mind but they would have to blow me away to take me away from flying BA.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Originally Posted by Lite
When it comes to safety, I will admit to being pretty uptight, well, direct might be the term I'd prefer to use. I will always phrase what is essentially a command as a question or a request, but if a customer chooses not to comply, then the slightly more direct approach needs to be used.Some people find being told what to do the equivalent of being spoken to rudely.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
And I for one like them to be that way.
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Me too.
And I third that. ^

If electronic devices were really a safety issue they would not be allowed to be used at all.
That discussion has been had here over and over again, many a horse got flogged while long deceased over it. However, that is not at all the point. The point is that those are the rules and while they are the rules you should abide by them.

My experience was in j and the guy was just a but rude.
As I said before, I've never found CC to be rude about it. I think Lite's observation is likely to apply:

Originally Posted by Lite
Some people find being told what to do the equivalent of being spoken to rudely.
I'm guilty of putting them down then when they take their seats putting my music back on! In j or f it's impossible for them to see.
In that case I consider that you are the rude party here. An immature and obnoxious attitude in my books.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
I think you need to get out a little more if you think BA is the second best airline.
Like most things, its down to personal preference. I don't think much of any of the Middle Eastern airlines (not tried QR), BA are the best in Europe and don't get started on America's offerings.

Im sure some of the Asian airlines are better, but as I'm HKG based i have absolutely no reason to leave probably the best of the lot to try anyone else.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
This question comes up every few months.

I started flying BA properly when I got a bonus (I miss being a banker occasionally) and decided to go to Oz in J. Had planned to go LH and SQ but one of the six segments would not give me availability in the necessary bucket due to LH playing married segments games. I ended up on BA and QF, both of which were quite agreeable. And by then I was silver, so I kept flying BA. And I tried this First thing, which wasn't bad either. Now I'm chasing the silver renewal...

Prior to this, I had been comped BD Silver through a corporate deal and flew mostly Star. Ironically, had my booking to Oz gone through as planned, I would have made BD Gold which would have been matched to BA Gold and EI Elite and TK Gold. Can't win em all, I suppose.

Now I'm surprised nobody's been called an apologist yet...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My Flying with BA started years ago when i was a teenager and my parents would only fly BA and i am the same! to fly with another Airline would just feel wrong! There British and i am British and Proud! and every time i board the plane and see that Union Jack Tail Fin I feel like i am already Home!

TACKY GOLD BLING
I am sure that you are not alone in the first paragraph - however I would reserve judgement on Emirates until you have tried them. Give them a chance at least. It's probably like Marmite, one loves it or loathes it. i wouldn't mind trying it.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not written them off i just know i won't like them as much as BA.

Class is something you can't buy and tacky gold bling and fake wood is not my style! But it was half the price of what BA wanted at the time so i would of been mad not to go with them, I will get on the flight with an open mind but they would have to blow me away to take me away from flying BA.
A Brit friend flying in to Dubai on EK texted me..... Still prefer BA.

When he went to the bathrooms and went into his private enclave... Texted me saying.... They'll have to drag me out of here.

Too bad he is flying back to LHR on BA 777, the flying dorm. The he is going to cry for EK.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phol
BA are the best in Europe and don't get started on America's offerings.
ROTFLMAO. Sorry but I've around the block and don't waive the flag.
From a First Class perspective, BA isn't even in the same league as LX or LH. Any airline that crams 14 pax in the front of a 744 in substandard (even new F) seats is not offering a true F product. Compound that disadvantage by making your F pax hike to and take a train, then serve generally inferior food and wines, and BA is nothing more than a mid-tier airline.

As for American airlines, at least they don't try to pass off coach seats with an open middle as Business Class on domestic flights.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: DL DM
A mixture of alot of the reasons mentioned for me:

- Am an ex-pat and it is a taste of home and like transiting through LHR
- I do feel safer on BA than some other airlines
- I feel that I am well looked after by the BAEC and have reasonable opportunities to spend my avios
- I feel that the airline is large enough that they can shift planes over, etc in the case of anything going wrong.
- It is a known quantity for me and I know I will get a similar type of product with no huge variations, just a better or a worse crew

I have had some less than fun experiences including flying a family of 5 in F and being refused a bassinet (despite having booked 10 months in advance) and delays, etc - BUT, overall work best for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.