Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do you fly BA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I prefer to fly BA and a few other carriers because I prefer to be parting with my money to airlines which I feel have the system that impose certain flying and other standards on their pilots and maintenance.

I don't mind BA long haul J and F seats.

BA actually look after me very well. They have done even when I was a non-BA OWE.

I like the cabin crew too. A lot of them make me feel confident (hardly a nervous flyer, mind) that they will be able to perform well if there is an emergency. I also like being able to have a chat with them without the foreign language awkwardness, especially after spending time in a foreign country. I find BA cabin crew members to be generally very good to talk to.

I also fly BA because it's not Air France, it's not Garuda, it's not Turkish Airlines, etc etc etc...

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 23, 2013 at 3:59 pm
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
I use BA to get away from the pikies.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:11 am

Of course one of the other reasons is that its solvent
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I like BA, feel comfy on it and like the seat that I get. Like LHR T5.

I take BA when flying to-from the US, as I can't imagine being in a US airline for a long time, even in F.

Now that I took the plunge and took EK and Gulf to the ME I do like them. I have been enjoying them. Like the service, like lounges, that there is someone who will carry my stuff from the lounge to the plane. Like the car service.

So I guess now my loyalty is divided.
I prefer ek by a long way but this is not a ba v ek debate.

How does ba new first compare to its competitors?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:26 am

95% of the flying I do is to/from the US.

I'd love it if JL/CX/SQ/LH/LX flew non-stop from London to the US, but they don't.

Of the non-stop options to the US left coast - AA/UA/VS - BA is the clear winner. I've tried all three in F (J on VS) and found all to be less good than BA. If I had to pick a second, it'd be UA. VS J is not nice.

As with voting in elections, it's about picking your least worst option. You're never going to get exactly what you want. If my life took me east rather than west then the options would almost certainly be different.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Key reasons for me to fly BA:
- Excellent safety track record and reputation
- I am well looked after by them, without any hyperbole.
- LHR is my home airport and BA's offering there is the best
- Part of One World with all the connections, options and avios earning/burning that brings
- I normally travel in J and I love the CW product, especially its privacy

I can't stand the kitschy "coolness" of VS or the bling of EK and the like, I am allergic to that sort of thing. Give me understatement any time.

Originally Posted by m3red
1. Paying for extra bags and the 23kg limits (I get 30kg as standard on EK and 62 if I'm in F)
What are you talking about? BA has a very generous baggage offering and a very easy-going hand luggage approach. You get two bags of 23kg in WT+ and even on a full fare Y ticket! In CW you get 2x32kg, and 3x32kg in F.
If you are a loyal BA customer and have at least a Silver card, it's at least 2 bags in any cabin on any ticket.

2. The cabin crew. In my experiences they are pretty uptight. For example, the whole headphones issue and electronic devices thing...one time in j the steward was outright rude. In y they are very rude. My general y experience on ba has been poor with service. I do find the seat ok though.
Most BA CC are excellent. On the use of headphones/devices you should simply follow instructions. It's rather boorish to not do so and then complain you're being told off.

3. J seat. I m just not a fan compared with the 380 or 777 on ek. Sitting rear facing in the middle means when the divider comes down you get to eyeball the front facing pax! Service has been ok but nothing amazing. I also have mixed service ok ek j so that's a crew dependent issue I guess.
The divider is up pretty much all the time and in the end CW offers much greater privacy than other J seats on other airlines.

I love the A380 and BA is bringing them into play.

4. Customer service. This is my biggest issue! Extortionate charges to move a flight then on check in in the states they did it free....seems so rigid and unreasonable.
This has been discussed endlessly elsewhere, but I find the BA fares both competitive and reasonable. If you buy an inflexible ticket, well then don't moan if it costs money to change it. Some people want it both ways: cheap tickets, yet the flexibility of a full fare flexible ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phol
Cathay get the bulk of my business as they are simply the best i've flown with, but BA are a definitely second overall.
I think you need to get out a little more if you think BA is the second best airline.

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I take BA when flying to-from the US, as I can't imagine being in a US airline for a long time, even in F.
AA midcon domestic meals are better than the crud that BA tried to pass off as a First Class meal on my LHR-LAX flight last week.
In fact that flight in old First was so bad that I'll be on AA next time. It couldn't be any worse.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I prefer ek by a long way but this is not a ba v ek debate.

How does ba new first compare to its competitors?
You are correct, I thought about it after I posted my reply. As for the F factor, I like both. But can't stand and avoid F on BA's 777. Though F on EK, you get the suites.

Originally Posted by SFO777
I think you need to get out a little more if you think BA is the second best airline.

AA midcon domestic meals are better than the crud that BA tried to pass off as a First Class meal on my LHR-LAX flight last week.
In fact that flight in old First was so bad that I'll be on AA next time. It couldn't be any worse.
I rarely eat on a flight. Maybe a salad if I feel hungry. Like my food to be freshly done..So can't compare the food.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
To answer the OP and to echo Yahillwe - quite simply I like BA. I feel comfortable on board and that has a lot to do with the service I receive. The cabin crew very often gets that difficult balance between efficient and friendly just right.
They are not perfect and they are not the only airline I fly but on the whole they are one of the airlines I prefer to fly if I can.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by SFO777

Funny that this runs along with a Foie Gras thread.

I respectfully agree with you - if it's that bad don't fly it. I wouldn't. For years I have flown both and still do on LAX-HNL as it keeps my points and tiers up. I would not give my money if I did not like the product.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you aren't into acquiring status or collecting miles and don't have LHR as your home airport then the reasons for flying BA over any other airline aren't as obvious.
However the extra cabin baggage allowance comes in handy and I've always found BA cabin crew to be on the same wavelength as me when it comes to having a little natter.....I do feel more relaxed with BA crew. Air France crew for instance are rather a sour faced bunch and put me on edge.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you aren't into acquiring status or collecting miles and don't have LHR as your home airport then the reasons for flying BA over any other airline aren't as obvious.
However the extra cabin baggage allowance comes in handy and I've always found BA cabin crew to be on the same wavelength as me when it comes to having a little natter.....I do feel more relaxed with BA crew. Air France crew for instance are rather a sour faced bunch and put me on edge.
How's your French, HIDDY?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:51 am

I switched to BA for a couple of reasons. First, LH annoyed me - they didn't up me to Senator despite being just 3,000 short of the 100,000 status miles needed - 1500 of those I had, but they had never posted. So then I wanted to look around for a new airline to go backwards and forwards to Germany. All of this coincided pretty much with a move to Manchester.

From MAN I could then fly to Germany on a LCC, and for the longhauls the money saved paid for flights in premium economy - so I looked for a carrier with premium economy to my destinations (asia and the US). So, I started flying BA. Pretty pleased so far.

As for AF - mother in law asked me what they were like, as has booked a longhaul with them. Told her that their safety record isn't that great compared to other European carriers, but that if there were no frequent flyer considerations for me, and their price was right, I wouldn't hesitate booking them.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by MNManInKen
[...] Give me understatement any time.
How very British
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pianoamit
How's your French, HIDDY?
"Ooh la la" is about as good as it gets.

Must say even though AF crews lacked charm their long haul Y product was superior to BA's back then when I flew with them. They were always £150-200 cheaper as well which was the clincher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.