Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2010, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
spent my £500 already!
no sign yet of any double points but i sent a message asking them to check the set up which they have agreed to do.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC
I have double points on some stuff and not others. I have two purchases on the same day, both in Tescos, one has double the other not.

I am still expecting to have a where's my 20k MR phone call.

Given that I am averaging 1.5 points per pound, I can see this card getting cancelled soon after. I'm not even bothering to consolidate my online accounts to one log in.

Still, providing the 20k gets credited at some point it'll still be a good deal for not a huge amount of effort.
Old May 10, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Called them today to point out that I've not been set up as a 'Preferred' Gold Card, and the chap was extremely apologetic. Apparently Amex have now realised that a whole batch of cards got set up incorrectly and are going about rectifying the situation.

Sit tight and all will be resolved, apparently. Was tempted to ask for some bonus miles as compensation for my troubles(!), but couldn't pluck up the nerve!
Old May 10, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Have also spent my £500, and now waiting for my 20K bonus to show (and for Quidco to track).

Have managed to secure double Membership Reward points for all bar my first transaction (which was for airport parking booked through BAA). All subsequent purchases qualified in one of 3 categories:

- "Travel bonus" (purchase of rail tickets)
- "First year welcome bonus" (supermarket spend, including supermarket petrol)
- "Outbound spend bonus" (some overseas transactions, in US dollars)

So, am well up on my usual 1.5 BA Miles per pound (via BA Amex PPC), and will probably continue using the Gold card in preference thoughout this first year.
Old May 11, 2010, 2:05 am
JSC

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by Teefaf
Called them today to point out that I've not been set up as a 'Preferred' Gold Card, and the chap was extremely apologetic. Apparently Amex have now realised that a whole batch of cards got set up incorrectly and are going about rectifying the situation.

Sit tight and all will be resolved, apparently. Was tempted to ask for some bonus miles as compensation for my troubles(!), but couldn't pluck up the nerve!
Does it affect whether you get the bonus or not if your account does not say "preferred"?
Old May 11, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Do the MR points show up at the same time as the transaction posts or is there a delay between the two? My first transaction has finally posted but MR points total is still zero. Thanks.
Old May 11, 2010, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Does anyone know if tube tickets qualify for the travel bonus? No reason why they shouldn't right? Haven't had any bonuses for my supermarket or tube spend though.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:01 am

Hi - firstly, an overdue thanks for spotting this offer - signed up 3 accounts in my household succesfully. Just got the 20k miles posted to my own MR account this morning - haven't checked the other 2, but fingers crossed!
Old May 11, 2010, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by timezonehopper
Do the MR points show up at the same time as the transaction posts or is there a delay between the two? My first transaction has finally posted but MR points total is still zero. Thanks.
There is a delay. It's been 2 or 3 days on my account.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by JSG31
Hi - firstly, an overdue thanks for spotting this offer - signed up 3 accounts in my household succesfully. Just got the 20k miles posted to my own MR account this morning - haven't checked the other 2, but fingers crossed!
Well thats a positive sign ^

Can I ask, did you're double points post without you having to give Amex a prod in the right direction and does your online account refer to the card as The Gold Card or Preferred Gold?
Old May 11, 2010, 4:29 am

Can I ask, did you're double points post without you having to give Amex a prod in the right direction and does your online account refer to the card as The Gold Card or Preferred Gold?
I 'spent' the £500 via the Paypal route, so don't think it qualifies for the double points. I called 3 times over the last 10 days, and each time told "we think the 20k points are loaded 4-6 weeks after the first 3 month period", but to be fair, the people I spoke to said that's what they had been communicated, and agreed the T&C's on the website weren't so clear. All 3 times, they told me they'd raised a 'back-office ticket' - so I presume one of those must have gotten actioned. It shows as "Gold Q2 2010 Acquisition Bonus"

My account shows as "The Gold Card(R)" online, but when I called up, the lady on the phone did refer to it as "Preferred Gold Card" - so perhaps it's an online presentation issue only?

Also - I've just check my dad's account that we applied for on the same days as mines, 'spent' £500 on the same day, and also paid off on the same day - and it doesn't have the 20k applied yet - so definitely feels like Amex are doing this reactively and manually (as opposed to some nightly automated batch job which figures out who is eligible and applies the 20k points) based on people calling in and shouting the loudest.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:54 am

Thanks for the info
Old May 11, 2010, 5:40 am

Does anyone know what sort of offers are available with the Gold Card Travel Service in the UK? I can only find information on international programmes.
Old May 11, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BMI Gold
Following advice on this Forum, I too spoke with Amex today, and was advised by the helpful agent that he was aware of the issues regarding Preferred Reward Gold Cards being incorrectly classified, and he would ensure their back office would remedy the situation so I would receive bonus points and the 20k bonus after a £500 spend.

I used Topcashback for my sign up, and to date it has also not tracked, so I suspect we are all in the same boat on that one.

As an aside, I took the opportunity whilst on the phone with Amex to raise the fact that I am a legacy holder of both the Platinum Card and BA Premium Plus Card, and enquired as to whether Amex would rebate my £150 Annual fee for the BA Premium Plus card as they did the previous year. I was passed to a different customer service department who were more than happy to not only tee up a rebate for this fee (which was charged back in October), but also recode my account so that I would not be charged the £150 Annual Fee in the future.

I thought it worth sharing as this benefit was the key attraction of the Platinum Card for me and I suspect many others in the days when it was standard.
Old May 11, 2010, 9:51 am

Question

Originally Posted by _nate
Does anyone know what sort of offers are available with the Gold Card Travel Service in the UK? I can only find information on international programmes.
I was trying to find out the same thing yesterday. Is there a special 'gold' number?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.