Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Old May 14, 2010, 1:14 am

Thumbs up

Logged into AmEx this morning - and finally my 20k MR points have been posted!!

Shows up as Gold Q2 2010 Acquisition Bonus. Very happy to finally see them!

Now to get on the case with QuidCo....
Old May 14, 2010, 1:24 am

Anyone know if you can use the card to purchase BA miles?
Old May 14, 2010, 1:31 am

Smile

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Anyone know if you can use the card to purchase BA miles?
Can't see why not - you can use the BA Amex so I assume this card will work as well.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Well my replacement card turned up today on headed paper statign it was the Gold Preferred Rewards Card.
Loffed into MR and my bonus points for spend still haven't been added and needless to say nor have the 20k points, god knows how some of you are getting them so quickly, I spent over 2k in a matter of days on this card.
I won;t mind if it gets sorted in the end, it's just taking some time.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by stujmac
Gold Q2 2010 Acquisition Bonus
A phrase which implies that this 20k promo may indeed be a one-off and not carried on after 8th June (or whatever the stated date was)
Old May 14, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Private Pyle
Well my replacement card turned up today on headed paper statign it was the Gold Preferred Rewards Card.
Loffed into MR and my bonus points for spend still haven't been added and needless to say nor have the 20k points, god knows how some of you are getting them so quickly, I spent over 2k in a matter of days on this card.
I won;t mind if it gets sorted in the end, it's just taking some time.
They told me it woud be up to 1 month for the 20k bonus points - though the relevant double points do show up at the moment.

In terms of spending limits I'm using this card instead of my Amex CC as so far I've put on several K which is more than they'll give me (indirectly through Lloyds) on a CC - madness!
Old May 14, 2010, 11:01 am

Thanks to Roger and Raffles, have been away from here for a while and just came across this.

As I’ve only taken this card out to get the bonus points I plan on cancelling it before the first year is up.

Whilst searching for a free card that award’s MR points (to keep the account active without paying the annual fee) came across this “The Express Rewards Credit Card” Benefits below:

Key Details
o 3 points for every full £1 you spend in major Supermarkets up to £500 per month1.
o 2 points for every full £1 you spend in leading Department Stores.
o 1 point for every full £1 you spend everywhere else.
o Collect £30 (6000 points) worth of extra points when you spend £500 in your first 3 months of Cardmembership2.

Seems a great way of keeping your MR account active together with another 6000 miles for signing up and for the first £500 spend at supermarkets every month your getting 3miles per £ spent (better than BA Premier Plus)

Oh and there is £5 cash back through topcashback.co.uk and prob the other cashback sites…

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...00d0faad94RCRD
Old May 14, 2010, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Be careful with the Express Rewards card. The rewards you get are called Membership Rewards Express and are NOT AFAIK redeemable for anything except a very narrow range of store vouchers. I'm pretty sure you cannot combine them with existing MR points. I had a look at the T&C's when it was launched.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beansprout
In terms of spending limits I'm using this card instead of my Amex CC as so far I've put on several K which is more than they'll give me (indirectly through Lloyds) on a CC - madness!
It is not 'indirectly' through Lloyds. If you have a Lloyds Amex (eg Air Miles one) it is Lloyd's money you are borrowing - Amex simply provides the back office processing for the card and acts like Mastercard or Visa. Credit decision is 100% Lloyds. With this Amex, it is Amex's money you are borrowing.

The question is whether Lloyds or Amex made the smartest credit decision!
Old May 14, 2010, 11:37 am

Oh I see Raffles has poked his head above the parapet again after all this agro that he and Roger have caused us

I'm actually getting a certain amount of perverse pleasure logging on in the morning and seeing how many points i've been credited for any given purchase. It's a tad random to say the least.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:48 am

Ohh I see the "express" added to the MR now.. will have to find another way to keep the account active or transfer all the points before the end of the year.

Thanks once again raffles
Old May 14, 2010, 1:19 pm

Was on the phone to Membership Rewards earlier on another matter, and mentioned that I was awaiting the 20K bonus. Apparently there's been a mass coding cock-up, and as a result, Amex's back office team are going through to manually add the points. Was told if they've not showed by next month, to call back...
Old May 14, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Catchthepidgeon, I bought miles with my card no problem. Was on the phone to Amex today as my 20,000 is still not showing on account and i was assured it would be by the 2nd June.
Old May 14, 2010, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
It is not 'indirectly' through Lloyds. If you have a Lloyds Amex (eg Air Miles one) it is Lloyd's money you are borrowing - Amex simply provides the back office processing for the card and acts like Mastercard or Visa. Credit decision is 100% Lloyds. With this Amex, it is Amex's money you are borrowing.

The question is whether Lloyds or Amex made the smartest credit decision!
I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure, thanks. I suspect Lloyds are more generous to me as they've been my bank forever (and presumably would steal money from my account if I refused to pay the card off!)
Old May 16, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: WestJet Dollars, BAEC, Aeroplan, AirMiles, IHG, BW and others
Originally Posted by stujmac
Logged into AmEx this morning - and finally my 20k MR points have been posted!!

Shows up as Gold Q2 2010 Acquisition Bonus. Very happy to finally see them!

Now to get on the case with QuidCo....

What date did you 'spend' your £500?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.