Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
The latest version (2010) of the First cabin (termed "Prime" internally by British Airways, or "New First") is available on all 4-class 777s and all 747s.

An newer evolution (2013) of the First seat (Prime+) is found on all A380s, and a newer version still (2015) is available on all 787-9s.

The older version of the First cabin (termed "Classic" internally by British Airways, or "Old First") has now been withdrawn.

747 information updated to 31 March 2016. Last change: withdrawal of G-BNLF, the last OF aircraft
Print Wikipost

Tracking NF [New First]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
At the time of the re-jig following LL's accident, it was said here that LE went in for some work to be done to extend her life to September 2014, and LF went in for work to extend her life by 3-4 years (presumably a D-check that hadn't been scheduled for her). I've been told that this was definitely the plan as recently as May 2014. My lists are based on that information.

However, Jethro's says that it's LF that is due to be withdrawn in September 2014, with LE to soldier on. As Jethro's has a track record of being reliable, I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand.

I think that if LE is withdrawn next month, her NF cabin is expected to go into VC. If LF is withdrawn, though, that's simply one more OF cabin out of the fleet.
I agree that Jethro's is an excellent and usually reliable site, it has however had a couple of stabs at the LGW A320 registrations before settling down so is not infallible. As you stated, the times that the 2 frames have spent in CWL seem to lead to LE going before LF thereby benefiting VC (a much newer frame) with NF. In addition, the number of OF frames left covering the new 3 class routes for W15 onwards seems about right, with these being eventually being replaced by a mix of 787-9s from next September and 777s moved around from other routes.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by escape2sun
On the BA59 tonight, originally had 5E/F booked, now old first. 5F is broken, so moved to 2K, and told at bag drop that they have known for a while the seat is broken on 5F but they won't fix it
Which aircraft are you on? G-BNLF? Or G-BNLW? Or another one?
Originally Posted by escape2sun
It was a late switch to CIVL, when we got on the route map was to Kuwait. My original seat, 5F was fine.
Indeed - so it might have been instructive to find out which aircraft it was!
The OP by escape2sun was on Thu at 20:23, when BNLF was already on its way to LAS . Similarly, BNLW was already on its way to YVR .

Maybe we got the hint from escape2sun's comment about the route map: BNLZ left for KWI at 22:45, giving BA about an hour more preparation time than for the CPT flight. This would suggest that BNLZ was originally due to take escape2sun to CPT.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ftdashboard
This would suggest that BNLZ was originally due to take escape2sun to CPT.
That makes sense. I imagine, then, that the seat will be fixed in due course, given that LZ's planned to be in the fleet for another 18 months or so.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Was considering upgrading from CW to F for my flight to Miami on Saturday. However, on MMB it is showing as a mid-J 747 when it has been predominantly high-J on this route in the past month.

And when it has been mid-J looking back at the history in around half of cases it has been OF.

Is it worth taking the risk as I really would rather NF if I was to upgrade?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Upgrade and if it is old first then claim 50,000 avios per person
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:52 am

checked flight radar and it says G-BLNY for inbound. IS this definitely OF?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by off2rome
checked flight radar and it says G-BLNY for inbound. IS this definitely OF?
If you mean G-BNLY then it's a mid-J fitted with old first. If that's the one that operates on your flight then yes.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
I would agree with this.
The schedule and retirements for the 5 remaining OF 747-400's is probably a bit fluid. As more 747-400's get retired I would expect for NF to be retrofitted onto these few remaining birds unless they are due to be retired soon as it improves operational flexibility of the fleet which of course will now continually shrink.
There are 2 retirement schedules anyway - a slower one to achieve growth and then this retirement schedule can be accelerated if demand slows and I think we've seen a bit of this anyway.
I somehow think that the schedule for OF for NS15 will be modified nearer the time and increasingly NF planes will operate the routes... Of curse the issue is that First doesn't make much money on most routes....

FD.
Thinking about Jan 2015, from reading the last 50 posts or so it seems that OF on 747 will be limited to certain routes... does this imply the LHR-SFO route will be exclusively NF from Jan 2015 on?

Currently it seems the 284/285 are .NF about half the time and the 286/287 are 99% NF.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It does but subject to last minute operational requirements.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It does but subject to last minute operational requirements.
Thank you so much. I was looking at ExpertFlyer and it seems that J is showing 70 seats on every 285 after Nov 1st.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: American, BA, United,Marriott
Does anyone know what is going on with G-CIVD? It was out for 8 days at beginning of August, then back in service for 5 days and now has been out since the 18th of August and still out. It hasn't been withdrawn has it?

Also, does anyone know where the BNLU NF cabin will go?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 1stClassFan
Does anyone know what is going on with G-CIVD? It was out for 8 days at beginning of August, then back in service for 5 days and now has been out since the 18th of August and still out. It hasn't been withdrawn has it?
CIVD hasn't appeared as a candidate for withdrawal in any of the lists or discussions that I've seen.

Her current long stay at CWL might be consistent with a D check. Recent 744 withdrawals have stayed at CWL for a much shorter period before being ferried to VCV.
Originally Posted by 1stClassFan
Also, does anyone know where the BNLU NF cabin will go?
CIVC has been mooted (here, unofficially) as a possible recipient of any recovered NF cabin, so might conceivably get BNLU's.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
I have for the first time booked a BA flight and am a bit confused by the whole New First / Old First...

We will fly on a 747-400 from LHR-YYZ and on a 777-200 from YYZ-LHR in First. The flight dates are September 7 and 14, 2015.

Any idea on whether we will have the old or new F ?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by huegli
I have for the first time booked a BA flight and am a bit confused by the whole New First / Old First...

We will fly on a 747-400 from LHR-YYZ and on a 777-200 from YYZ-LHR in First. The flight dates are September 7 and 14, 2015.

EDIT: Just realised your flight dates!! By that time old first won't be sold anymore so you'll have new first on both flights if it's a 4-class service.

Last edited by golfmad; Oct 27, 2014 at 8:28 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:35 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by huegli

The only aircraft with Old First cabins are a few remaining mid-J 744's which now only operates on select routes with no F cabin sold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.