Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I've never gone down from SUV to sedan, but I would say around half the time I get upgraded from a sedan to a SUV (and not just small upgrades, I mean booking a compact and walking up to a Ford Explorer). On occasion I've had to ask for something smaller.

-J.
Chairman’s Club?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: AAA,AARP, COSTCO, SAMS CLUB
Go easy on me guys, this i my first post, long time lurker but first post.

Situation: already booked with Costco's AWD: A108335 and am happy with the price I got for a Standard Elite SUV for 14 days (June1st to 15th) . I'm renting from the chicago suburbs and the example vehicle is a Nissan Pathfinder but keep hitting roadblocks when trying to find out what the other possibilities for this class of vehicle would be. I konw there are classification codes for vehicles but this is my first time renting with AVIS, I used to use enterprise but they're basically charging more than triple for similar class vehicles.
My question is, what vehicles are the fleet for a Standard Elite SUV? Many of the SUV's have gone through a major revision for 2022. Does Avis geenrally have newer years or hold onto vehicles for a few years? I looked at their car sales website and they looked decent meaning whatever they have in their fleet must be newer or better?

Once your'e assigned a vehicle, are you stuck with it or can I switch out if there is a better vehicle or ask for a larger or better SUV. I'm renting for a 6000 mile road trip with 4 people so comfort and amenities are key and wondering if anyone has any idea of whats in Avis' fleet in this class. And whats likely the best vehicle in the class based on what I explained. Im a "preffered member" just had to sign up. Is there anyway to switch out if another branch has a better vehicle or any tricks or tips on upgrades or suggesting a specificic vehicle at avis?

I know theres a lot of unknowns and logistically its impossible to know what would be on the lot that day. But if anyone for the chicagoland area has any idea of AVIS' fleet for this class or any suggestions to make the road trip comfy, i'd appreciate it.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spaidak2
My question is, what vehicles are the fleet for a Standard Elite SUV? Many of the SUV's have gone through a major revision for 2022. Does Avis geenrally have newer years or hold onto vehicles for a few years? I looked at their car sales website and they looked decent meaning whatever they have in their fleet must be newer or better?
Once your'e assigned a vehicle, are you stuck with it or can I switch out if there is a better vehicle or ask for a larger or better SUV.
Within the Standard Elite SUV category, I'd say most likely an Explorer (which are all well equipped from what I've seen/rented) or a Pathfinder (which often are basic). That is an odd category, though [why is a Buick Enclave a Premium SUV, and CX-9 is a Standard SUV, while Explorers/Pathfinders are Standard Elite?). Personally, from all I listed in the last 2 sentences, I'd go for an Explorer any day! Suggest you walk the lot and ask for what you want (even if it's a higher category). The worst they can say is no.

I'd also look at minivans if they let you take one for free. Sure, there's a stigma, but they usually have great comfort and plenty of storage space. The Chrysler options usually are well equipped and nice. The Siennas are cloth/basic but are all hybrid (I've averaged 35-40MPG every time I had one). All Toyotas have the standard safety gear on all models (lane departure, distance based cruise, etc). The Kias are usually newer at this point, and they're comfy, but relatively basic as well. If it were me, I'd ask for the Sienna over any SUV/van if you're going to put a lot of miles on it over 2 weeks since they're comfy and the fuel economy is amazing compared to the size.

And the vehicles are usually relatively new at Avis. There have been reports of some 30-50k vehicles since COVID hit, but most are still well under 30k and within 1-2 years old. I did get a 2018 Genesis recently, but it only had 8000 miles on it.

As for swapping at other locations - you'll likely get grief/rejected unless there's a mechanical/other issue with the vehicle. And if they let you swap it, they'll likely put you in the same vehicle or as close as possible to what you're in so they don't give away a better vehicle that's not getting returned there.

Good luck and have fun!
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Spaidak2
Go easy on me guys, this i my first post, long time lurker but first post.

Situation: already booked with Costco's AWD: A108335 and am happy with the price I got for a Standard Elite SUV for 14 days (June1st to 15th) . I'm renting from the chicago suburbs and the example vehicle is a Nissan Pathfinder but keep hitting roadblocks when trying to find out what the other possibilities for this class of vehicle would be. I konw there are classification codes for vehicles but this is my first time renting with AVIS, I used to use enterprise but they're basically charging more than triple for similar class vehicles.

Once your'e assigned a vehicle, are you stuck with it or can I switch out if there is a better vehicle or ask for a larger or better SUV. I'm renting for a 6000 mile road trip with 4 people so comfort and amenities are key and wondering if anyone has any idea of whats in Avis' fleet in this class. And whats likely the best vehicle in the class based on what I explained. Im a "preffered member" just had to sign up. Is there anyway to switch out if another branch has a better vehicle or any tricks or tips on upgrades or suggesting a specificic vehicle at avis?
In Avis parlance, standard elite just means a 7-passenger SUV. That said, their 7-passenger SUVs are usually decently equipped. I don't know about Chicago specifically but I'd expect something like a Ford Explorer Limited, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Highlander, etc. Usually those have at least a couple options like leather seats.

I second IAHtraveler on the minivan. Unless you are hoping to do go off road or do anything remotely sporty, it's hard to beat the space, comfort, low load floor, etc. of a minivan like the Chrysler Pacifica when you're going to be driving that much with a bunch of people. Otherwise, I also agree that the Explorer Limited is a great ride. As a unibody SUV it's a good mix of comfort and utility, and it's RWD-based, which I prefer.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I've rented two or three Ford Explorers in the last year and both were Limiteds; one was brand new and I was the first renter.

-J.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
In Avis parlance, standard elite just means a 7-passenger SUV. That said, their 7-passenger SUVs are usually decently equipped. I don't know about Chicago specifically but I'd expect something like a Ford Explorer Limited, Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Highlander, etc. Usually those have at least a couple options like leather seats.

I second IAHtraveler on the minivan. Unless you are hoping to do go off road or do anything remotely sporty, it's hard to beat the space, comfort, low load floor, etc. of a minivan like the Chrysler Pacifica when you're going to be driving that much with a bunch of people. Otherwise, I also agree that the Explorer Limited is a great ride. As a unibody SUV it's a good mix of comfort and utility, and it's RWD-based, which I prefer.
I've rented two or three Ford Explorers in the last year and both were Limiteds; one was brand new and I was the first renter.

-J.
Whoa, we all agree on the Explorer! Seems convincing for anyone looking for something of this size in the Avis fleet! My experience on the Pathfinders has been that they are all very basic (cloth/non-heated seats, no power lift gate, no distance based cruise or blind spot monitors), but they've also all been the prior generation Pathfinder; I haven't seen one of the new ones on an Avis lot yet.
GW McLintock and m907 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Whoa, we all agree on the Explorer! Seems convincing for anyone looking for something of this size in the Avis fleet! My experience on the Pathfinders has been that they are all very basic (cloth/non-heated seats, no power lift gate, no distance based cruise or blind spot monitors), but they've also all been the prior generation Pathfinder; I haven't seen one of the new ones on an Avis lot yet.
I agree completely. I've rented Pathfinders from Hertz and Avis in the past and hated them all between the base spec and the awful CVT transmission.

My biggest complaint about the Explorer is the 2.3L EcoBoost -- tiny engine for such a hefty SUV -- and the 10-speed isn't the smoothest. But it does well on gas and cruises comfortably at higher speeds so it is what it is. But I would take a V6 Enclave over it every time (rented one from Enterprise last year so that's currently my favorite 7-pax SUV).

-J.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:13 am
Original Poster

But I would take a V6 Enclave over it every time (rented one from Enterprise last year so that's currently my favorite 7-pax SUV).
Found out somewhere we disagree I've had the Enclave a few times, but am not a big fan. The seats seemed uncomfortable and I like the interior on the Explorer much better. However, do NOT EVER buy a Ford that I've had the pleasure of renting... I can't tell you how many times I'm trying to park or change gears quickly and accidentally spin the gear shifter counter-clockwise trying to go from R to D, while the vehicle slams into P. I'd much rather the push-button transmission (Acura, Honda, Lincoln and others) or the column-mounted stick that MB uses. Now that I've ventured way off topic, back to do some real work...
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Found out somewhere we disagree I've had the Enclave a few times, but am not a big fan. The seats seemed uncomfortable and I like the interior on the Explorer much better. However, do NOT EVER buy a Ford that I've had the pleasure of renting... I can't tell you how many times I'm trying to park or change gears quickly and accidentally spin the gear shifter counter-clockwise trying to go from R to D, while the vehicle slams into P. I'd much rather the push-button transmission (Acura, Honda, Lincoln and others) or the column-mounted stick that MB uses. Now that I've ventured way off topic, back to do some real work...
I've really fallen for the push-button ones. Reminds me of a couple of buses I've driven. There's no mistakes ever and it's just wild to me that it's only now starting to become popular. Lincoln does a very nice job with it.

-J.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:44 am

I've really fallen for the push-button ones. Reminds me of a couple of buses I've driven. There's no mistakes ever and it's just wild to me that it's only now starting to become popular. Lincoln does a very nice job with it.

-J.
Give me a real shifter every day of the week. I'll always blame Jaguar for bringing the awful electronic trend upon us.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m907
Give me a real shifter every day of the week. I'll always blame Jaguar for bringing the awful electronic trend upon us.
They're all shift-by-wire anyway these days... I would rather reclaim the space.

-J.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 5:21 am

Hello all,

If I'm looking to rent a V8 convertible, should I be renting from Group K, or are all the convertibles going to be the 4 cylinders?
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chumbucket
Hello all,

If I'm looking to rent a V8 convertible, should I be renting from Group K, or are all the convertibles going to be the 4 cylinders?
Chance of a V8 in Group K is very low. Likely a Mustang with the smaller engines. You *might* come across a GT but not likely. If you want a greater chance, you need to find a location with a location with a Signature Series available so you get a specific vehicle. The Jag F-Pace might be the only V8 convertible might be the only one in the fleet, but they are rare.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chumbucket
Hello all,

Chance of a V8 in Group K is very low. Likely a Mustang with the smaller engines. You *might* come across a GT but not likely. If you want a greater chance, you need to find a location with a location with a Signature Series available so you get a specific vehicle. The Jag F-Pace might be the only V8 convertible in the Sig Series fleet, but they are rare.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:42 am
Rax

Programs: NWA
My experience on the Pathfinders has been that they are all very basic (cloth/non-heated seats, no power lift gate, no distance based cruise or blind spot monitors), but they've also all been the prior generation Pathfinder; I haven't seen one of the new ones on an Avis lot yet.
This post stood out to me because I have a Pathfinder from Avis right now which is loaded. It has all the things you mentioned. It's a 2020 with a bunch of miles but I chose it over the other options because it fit my need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.