Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by SHaseley
  • Your Avis status: Preferred
  • Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve): Minivan
  • Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays: April 18, 2019 - April 29, 2019 (Easter)
Hi all - first post. I booked a Priceline hot rate deal that was super cheap and wound up with Avis. After that I signed up with Avis, not sure if that will make a difference. Couple questions:
- what is the most likely minivan I'll receive with this reservation?
- I don't believe there is a way to add this reservation to my Avis account since it was booked through a 3rd party. I'd like to do this so i can use the app, and possibly see what vehicle I am being assigned before I arrive there...if that is even an option at BUF. Anyone have any info on that?
- Anyone have direct experience with Avis at BUF? I have seen a few that mention long wait times...

Thanks!
Chrysler Pacifica or Dodge Grand Caravan almost guaranteed, though there's a chance of a Kia Sedona or Toyota Sienna.
Joonydell and SHaseley like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
// 10char

Last edited by Flyertalker1; Dec 24, 2019 at 11:26 am
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Flyertalker1
Am preferred plus. Weekend rental from Ohio airport.

was assigned a +20k mileage Ford Escape after booking full size sedan.

ok to request a car below 10k mileage? Or 15k?

typically use national and have never been given a car this high mileage before.
The logical upgrade from full size is premium sedan. Many people think any SUV > any sedan but I disagree. You'd be plenty reasonable to turn it down and ask for a sedan.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flyertalker1
Am preferred plus. Weekend rental from Ohio airport.

was assigned a +20k mileage Ford Escape after booking full size sedan.

ok to request a car below 10k mileage? Or 15k?

typically use national and have never been given a car this high mileage before.
Depends on what is available. Avis vehicles tend to have higher mileage in my experience. If you don't like what you get, just ask the counter for a different vehicle.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kxc262
Depends on what is available. Avis vehicles tend to have higher mileage in my experience.
I got the crappiest rental car in recent memory today from Avis at a non-airport location here in Houston. 30k miles on it with a bunch of dings, smells terrible inside from the cleaning products - yet isn't clean!, and for some unknown reason there was a spare windshield wiper arm in the back seat... Definitely took a bunch of pics and will be sending to Avis via twitter.

On the plus side it was an upgrade from a midsize to a full size, so there's that!
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I got the crappiest rental car in recent memory today from Avis at a non-airport location here in Houston. 30k miles on it with a bunch of dings, smells terrible inside from the cleaning products - yet isn't clean!, and for some unknown reason there was a spare windshield wiper arm in the back seat... Definitely took a bunch of pics and will be sending to Avis via twitter.

On the plus side it was an upgrade from a midsize to a full size, so there's that!
what kind of car did you get?
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:01 am

• Your Avis Status: Preferred Plus
  • Car Class Reserved: Intermediate (Cruze or similar)
  • Timing: Friday night (tonight) to Monday morning.
My status match to Preferred Plus just cleared this morning. If I'm eligible for an upgrade, will that clear automatically if I try to use Select and Go through the app? Or do I have to go to the counter to try my luck.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:53 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thexcguy
My status match to Preferred Plus just cleared this morning. If I'm eligible for an upgrade, will that clear automatically if I try to use Select and Go through the app? Or do I have to go to the counter to try my luck.
*should* be automatic. However, the IT at Avis isn't wonderful, so no guarantees. If you don't see something full-size in the S&G app, just go in and ask Being a Friday night going into a holiday weekend, though, their selection might not be great.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
SJC is pretty stingy on upgrades and sticks to the rules. Check the app to see if there is anything better or ask counter agents to see if they are willing to upgrade you.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:13 am

• Preferred
  • Class W, booked via one of the German tour operators
  • YVR
  • 2 weeks in July
What should I expect? Avis.ca says Grand Cherokee.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:07 pm

Follow-up here: I was only offered Intermediate cars for free through the app, and agents simply pointed me towards the exchange aisle--which had a selection of compact sedans (Corolla, Elantra, Sentra, maybe one or two more) and a Fusion hybrid. I ended up sticking with the 2019 Forte that I was assigned, as it seemed at least marginally nicer than what I was expecting.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:53 pm

• Preferred
  • Class L, booked via avis.co.uk
  • LAX Airport
  • 3 weeks in September, starting saturday evening
  • can i use select and go? i have avis.co.uk account and cant log in to .com site
What should I expect in this class? thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:27 am

Upgrades for long term rental

• Preferred
  • Full Size Hybrid/ Full size; full size hybrid are like 100 bucks pricier than full size on monthly rental
  • Booking via my company travel portal (business)
  • SEATac
  • 50 days rental
    In which categories these FS hybrid falls into? Is it above premium or on par?
    Can I expect upgrades into the luxury categories? Like A4/A5/ Mustang/3/5series

Last edited by vishu4u; Jan 23, 2019 at 12:58 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vishu4u
  • Preferred
  • Full Size Hybrid/ Full size; full size hybrid are like 100 bucks pricier than full size on monthly rental
  • Booking via my company travel portal (business)
  • SEATac
  • 50 days rental
    In which categories these FS hybrid falls into? Is it above premium or on par?
    Can I expect upgrades into the luxury categories? Like A4/A5/ Mustang/3/5series
On such a long rental, I think it'd be nearly impossible to get a Specialty category on a full size reservation. Even as a Chairman, I think this is a tough one. *IF* you're lucky, you might get upgraded to a premium or maybe a hybrid but I wouldn't count on it.

As for the category order, I don't know that anyone has this answer, definitively. Going from smaller to larger within Sedans or SUVs is clear. But between different types (Specialty, Hybrid, Sedan->SUV) hasn't been defined by anyone with certainty.
vishu4u likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
On such a long rental, I think it'd be nearly impossible to get a Specialty category on a full size reservation. Even as a Chairman, I think this is a tough one. *IF* you're lucky, you might get upgraded to a premium or maybe a hybrid but I wouldn't count on it.

As for the category order, I don't know that anyone has this answer, definitively. Going from smaller to larger within Sedans or SUVs is clear. But between different types (Specialty, Hybrid, Sedan->SUV) hasn't been defined by anyone with certainty.

Thanks for the reply;
The reason I am trying to book FS hybrid is just to get close to the luxury band price; the FS price is still lower as compared to FS hybrid;
Dont they have any upgrades for such a long term rentals;
I know they have AVIS flexi where they give 10% discount on base fare plus vehicle swap ( I doubt I would swap unless they swap with specialty/ luxury)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.