Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Old Jan 3, 19, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by SHaseley View Post
  • Your Avis status: Preferred
  • Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve): Minivan
  • Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays: April 18, 2019 - April 29, 2019 (Easter)
Hi all - first post. I booked a Priceline hot rate deal that was super cheap and wound up with Avis. After that I signed up with Avis, not sure if that will make a difference. Couple questions:
- what is the most likely minivan I'll receive with this reservation?
- I don't believe there is a way to add this reservation to my Avis account since it was booked through a 3rd party. I'd like to do this so i can use the app, and possibly see what vehicle I am being assigned before I arrive there...if that is even an option at BUF. Anyone have any info on that?
- Anyone have direct experience with Avis at BUF? I have seen a few that mention long wait times...

Thanks!
Chrysler Pacifica or Dodge Grand Caravan almost guaranteed, though there's a chance of a Kia Sedona or Toyota Sienna.
Joonydell and SHaseley like this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 2:27 pm

Am preferred plus. Weekend rental from Ohio airport.

was assigned a +20k mileage Ford Escape after booking full size sedan.

ok to request a car below 10k mileage? Or 15k?

typically use national and have never been given a car this high mileage before.
Old Jan 11, 19, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Flyertalker1 View Post

typically use national and have never been given a car this high mileage before.
The logical upgrade from full size is premium sedan. Many people think any SUV > any sedan but I disagree. You'd be plenty reasonable to turn it down and ask for a sedan.
Old Jan 11, 19, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flyertalker1 View Post

Depends on what is available. Avis vehicles tend to have higher mileage in my experience. If you don't like what you get, just ask the counter for a different vehicle.
Old Jan 18, 19, 12:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL/UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Plat, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by kxc262 View Post
Depends on what is available. Avis vehicles tend to have higher mileage in my experience.
I got the crappiest rental car in recent memory today from Avis at a non-airport location here in Houston. 30k miles on it with a bunch of dings, smells terrible inside from the cleaning products - yet isn't clean!, and for some unknown reason there was a spare windshield wiper arm in the back seat... Definitely took a bunch of pics and will be sending to Avis via twitter.

On the plus side it was an upgrade from a midsize to a full size, so there's that!
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:01 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
I got the crappiest rental car in recent memory today from Avis at a non-airport location here in Houston. 30k miles on it with a bunch of dings, smells terrible inside from the cleaning products - yet isn't clean!, and for some unknown reason there was a spare windshield wiper arm in the back seat... Definitely took a bunch of pics and will be sending to Avis via twitter.

On the plus side it was an upgrade from a midsize to a full size, so there's that!
what kind of car did you get?
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 8:01 am

• Your Avis Status: Preferred Plus
  • Car Class Reserved: Intermediate (Cruze or similar)
  • Timing: Friday night (tonight) to Monday morning.
My status match to Preferred Plus just cleared this morning. If I'm eligible for an upgrade, will that clear automatically if I try to use Select and Go through the app? Or do I have to go to the counter to try my luck.
Old Jan 18, 19, 8:53 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thexcguy View Post
My status match to Preferred Plus just cleared this morning. If I'm eligible for an upgrade, will that clear automatically if I try to use Select and Go through the app? Or do I have to go to the counter to try my luck.
*should* be automatic. However, the IT at Avis isn't wonderful, so no guarantees. If you don't see something full-size in the S&G app, just go in and ask Being a Friday night going into a holiday weekend, though, their selection might not be great.
Old Jan 18, 19, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thexcguy View Post
SJC is pretty stingy on upgrades and sticks to the rules. Check the app to see if there is anything better or ask counter agents to see if they are willing to upgrade you.
Old Today, 9:13 am

• Preferred
  • Class W, booked via one of the German tour operators
  • YVR
  • 2 weeks in July
What should I expect? Avis.ca says Grand Cherokee.