Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by vishu4u
Thanks for the reply;
The reason I am trying to book FS hybrid is just to get close to the luxury band price; the FS price is still lower as compared to FS hybrid;
Dont they have any upgrades for such a long term rentals;
I know they have AVIS flexi where they give 10% discount on base fare plus vehicle swap ( I doubt I would swap unless they swap with specialty/ luxury)
I don't think spending more makes any difference. Upgrades are based on what class you book, not how much you spend. You're better off booking a full-size or a premium and asking for something nicer.
IAHtraveler and vishu4u like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:56 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vishu4u
Dont they have any upgrades for such a long term rentals;
Rental cars, like hotels, are less likely to give out cheap/free upgrades for longer rentals. Why would they be inclined to give away a better car if they could try to sell that over the next month? For short rentals, they usually have a decent grasp of their inventory/needs to know whether or not they can give away a luxury car/SUV/suite/etc by the day you arrive. But for such long rentals, they can't predict and a cheap upgrade to a lux car could cost them thousands in lost rental fees if someone is looking for a nice car and willing to pay for it, but has to move to Hertz/other.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:33 pm

Preferred
Group S - Standard Elite SUV
MCO
March 2019

keen to avoid Nissan Pathfinder any ideas what I might get?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by shaunplym
Preferred
MCO
March 2019

Standard Elite just means 7-passenger SUV in Avis Parlance. That said, a Ford Explorer Limited is most likely. Maybe a Chevy Traverse.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
AVIS Liability Limits

Preferred plus
Intermediate
SEA
June

AVIS preferred plus status due to Chase Saphire Reserve perk.
Confirmed with AVIS international this allows FREE upgrade internationally on availability.

1. Do you know the liability limits for travel in Europe?
Ireland - AVIS has told me liability is unlimited.
2. Infinite VISA card holders with Chase CSR card get UPTO 30% with Avis Contract ID
Problem is Avis cannot identify anywhere in the world where a 30% discount exists.
Ideas?

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Feb 3, 2019 at 9:12 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
PP
Intermediate (booked direct through corporate booking tool)
PDX
Monday 10pm

I normally rent from National as an EE so from what I've read on here I need to significantly lower my expectations. I am hoping for at least a car/suv/truck with awd/4x4 in case the weather is bad.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:35 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyguy6
PP
Intermediate (booked direct through corporate booking tool)
PDX
Monday 10pm

I normally rent from National as an EE so from what I've read on here I need to significantly lower my expectations. I am hoping for at least a car/suv/truck with awd/4x4 in case the weather is bad.
I'd say your expectations are way too high, unfortunately. As a PP, you're entitled to a one-class upgrade when available. The when available is very discretionary. Also, as an intermediate (Cruze or similar) would be an upgrade to standard (Jetta, or similar). That's a long way off from an SUV/truck or anything with AWD/4x4. If you feel you need something more substantial, then you need to book it to be safe.
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by flyguy6
Reserve what you need and hope for what you want.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:56 pm

Mazda 6 Avis

Did anyone got Mazda 6 lately? Just wanted to check what trim n year they have with them? Airport Seatac
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:15 pm

Your Avis status - Preferred
Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve) - Intermediate with automatic transmission, booked at avis.com using my corporate rate (which I am allowed to use for personal travel)
Location - LHR Terminal 5
Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays) - pick up May 9, drop off May 10 at Avis in Oxford

and to a lesser extent:

Your Avis status - Preferred
Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve) - Intermediate with automatic transmission, booked at avis.com using my corporate rate (which I am allowed to use for personal travel)
Location - Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK
Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays) - pick up May 22, drop off May 23 at LHR T5
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:12 am
xsx

- Preferred
- Premium
- YYC
- May

I saw the Canada website lists Chrysler 300 limited as premium (and 300s as luxury). Wondering what cars similar to 300 limited we can get.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by shaunplym
Preferred
MCO
March 2019

Ford Explorer, Ford Flex, Dodge Durango.

Potentially a VW Atlas as well.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: FB Silver - STE, BAEC Bronze - OW Ruby
Hi guys!

Not a "what will I get" but "how did I get it" question:

Rented a group C car for this weekend at LAX. Booked through BAEC AWD and put my preferred number in (for the first time). Screens told me to go to the counter and the lady asked if a Mustang was fine. Got a premium specced 2.4L non-convertible.

Since I'm not from the US I'm not entirely familiar with the upgrade culture. Was I just lucky or was this maybe something like a preferred welcome gift?

I'm just curious

Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by tobitronics
Hi guys!

Not a "what will I get" but "how did I get it" question:

Rented a group C car for this weekend at LAX. Booked through BAEC AWD and put my preferred number in (for the first time). Screens told me to go to the counter and the lady asked if a Mustang was fine. Got a premium specced 2.4L non-convertible.

Since I'm not from the US I'm not entirely familiar with the upgrade culture. Was I just lucky or was this maybe something like a preferred welcome gift?

I'm just curious

Thanks!
If they were low on cars that may have been the closest match available. Or if you're a Preferred Plus member she was giving an extra upgrade. Maybe she just liked your accent.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: National EE, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Hilton Gold
President's Club (Status Match - First Time Use)
Standard Car
JAX
Tomorrow
Month long rental - fleet replacement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.