Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: too many
Class reserved : Mercedes C-class or similar
Location NTE airport (France)
Mid-November for 3-4 days

Can do a status match to PC (switching from Hertz for this location following two bad consecutive rentals) if this helps the chances of upgrading?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by ng1265
Class reserved : Mercedes C-class or similar
Location NTE airport (France)
Mid-November for 3-4 days

Can do a status match to PC (switching from Hertz for this location following two bad consecutive rentals) if this helps the chances of upgrading?
I don't know how your elite experience will be at a small French airport, but to answer your other question, many people have been successful in matching status from other companies. Check out this article for some good information. My upgrades haven't been great with Avis (admittedly all in the USA), but once in a while you get a gem. I like National much better but they tend to be more expensive.

-J.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: too many
Thanks a lot!
I sent them a mail (to the eu adress since I'm on the UK version), and within a couple of days was upgraded to Presidents Club!
It says one-class upgrade, so hopeful to take the E-class or similar
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
First time renting with Avis due to a great deal with SAS. What are your thoughts on chances of getting an expedition at LAX? Otherwise I would be happy with a Tahoe or Yukon. Trying to avoid the Armada and Sequoia at all costs.

Preferred
Class Z: Full Size SUV (Tahoe or similar)
LAX
3/11
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Oflyt
First time renting with Avis due to a great deal with SAS. What are your thoughts on chances of getting an expedition at LAX? Otherwise I would be happy with a Tahoe or Yukon. Trying to avoid the Armada and Sequoia at all costs.

Preferred
Class Z: Full Size SUV (Tahoe or similar)
LAX
3/11
You'll probably get a Tahoe or Yukon, possibly an Expedition. If you get one of the other two, just ask and I'm sure they can switch you.

-J.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
You'll probably get a Tahoe or Yukon, possibly an Expedition. If you get one of the other two, just ask and I'm sure they can switch you.

-J.
So basically a Tahoe or similar?

It's nice of you to try to help but I question the usefulness of this thread. Nobody can predict what car someone is going to get. The closest you can get is to list what's in the fleet, and there's already a fleet thread.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:46 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
It's nice of you to try to help but I question the usefulness of this thread. Nobody can predict what car someone is going to get. The closest you can get is to list what's in the fleet, and there's already a fleet thread.
My apologies as I was on my phone and misread the posters' handles.

Regarding the usefulness of this thread: Those of us are on here to help when we can, but there's no exact answer, not even if you book a Signature Series car. However, plenty of others have found the thread useful. Many vehicles in the fleet list here aren't common, or aren't common in any specific location, so we will advise when we can to be somewhat beneficial.

Also, some locations are significantly more/less likely to give an upgrade, so the specific car questions can be useful for folks who don't frequent a specific location.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Oct 27, 2019 at 8:50 pm
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
m907 I am very happy with the reply from GW McLintock . I know it's impossible to predict of course but getting an idea of what is in the fleet I find very helpful personally. I gather from the reply that I might able to leave with a car that I would be happy with. Thanks for the reply GW!

IAHtraveler I am the one that asked the original question.

Last edited by Oflyt; Oct 25, 2019 at 8:16 am
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
  • Preferred
  • Standard SUV (Ford Edge or similar)
  • MIA
  • 5th September 2020
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AC SE. Hilton Diamond, Marriot TI, Avis PC. Hertz PC.
Avis Presiden'ts Club
Full Size (Impala or Similar)
YVR
Nov 16, 2019
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:12 am

MXP Avis

Avis President's Club
MXP Malpensa Airport
Ocy 15
Booked: Full Size (BMW 318 or similar)
Received: Mercedes E200d Station Wagon.

I'd consider that a class upgrade
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:14 am

MXP Avis Select

Avis President's Club
MXP Malpensa Airport Avis
Requested : Mercedes G Wagon
Received : Merceses G350d

Was offered Maserati Levante as well but all the cara were Diesel, so opted to stay with G Wagon.

which was a hell of a car to enjoy on way to Florence
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by handuk
Avis Presiden'ts Club
Full Size (Impala or Similar)
YVR
Nov 16, 2019
Was offered 2019 Subaru Legacy base model.
I saw bunch of better cars in lot but they said only available upgrade even if i wanted to pay was dodge challenger (V6). for extra 20$/day. So i took it...

Im back at YVR on 21st with anothet Full Size request... so let's see if I do better.

Legacy is not bad at all especially with wet surfaces here and with safety featurws that come standard, but I am used to Dodge/Chrysler UI and heated/ventilated leather seats appeal to me over cloth seats.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:41 pm

Preferred
Mercedes E-Klasse (GPS) or similar
Munich Hbf
22nd Feb - 8 days

also wondering (as I only rent about once a year), as an Avis Preferred am I correct to assume that I don't need to go to the counter and can go straight to the car lot? If so, anyone ever been to the Munich Central Station car lot?

Thank you
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: *G
Presidents Club
MXP
Considering:
1: P (IWAR, intermediate stationwagon) Peugeout 3008 or similar
2: G (IWMR, intermediate stationwagon) Jeep Compass or similar
3: I (DDAR, compact elite) Audi A3 or similar

Any ideas what to expect in either group? going to 4 people with at least 1 sets of skis, so hoping for a 40/20/40 split rear seat but maybe that's optimistic.... 40/60 will do. >100€ upcharge for G->P, but if I'm more likely to end up in a bigger car that'd be OK.... Full size is too pricy.

Also, on the link below it says group N (Fiat 500L or similar) includes winter tires? Any experience with this? Seems quite extreme to put a fiat 500 and Volvo XC90 in the same group as well... I'm guessing I'll end up having to rent chains, but I'd be happy to hear any experiences...
https://www.avisautonoleggio.it/guid...nvernali-auto#

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.