Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:53 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Starting a new thread for 2018. Please include the following in your post:
  • Your Avis status
  • Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve)
  • Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:01 am

Preferred plus
Standard Elite SUV
BOS
January 23rd in the morning

I'm curious what possible cars can I get in this class and perhaps what would I be upgraded to if they decide to?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Preferred plus
Standard Elite SUV
BOS
January 23rd in the morning

I'm curious what possible cars can I get in this class and perhaps what would I be upgraded to if they decide to?
Don't know about BOS specifically, but my guess would be a Ford Explorer Limited or a GMC Acadia or a Chevy Traverse.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Don't know about BOS specifically, but my guess would be a Ford Explorer Limited or a GMC Acadia or a Chevy Traverse.

Is the new Acadia better inside then the Terrain? Rented a Terrain late 2016 and was a 2016 model and hated it. Never driven an Arcadia or even the Traverse. I do like the Explorers. Don't think I'll get upgraded since it's a One way to New York City but who knows. Got upgraded to a 3 series on a one way lux Res from Pittsburgh

Also what trims is normally available for the Arcadia and traverse with Avis?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:07 pm

Presidents Club
Full Size
MCI
January 16th in the afternoon - 1 day rental

Any idea what I might expect to be upgraded to?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Is the new Acadia better inside then the Terrain? Rented a Terrain late 2016 and was a 2016 model and hated it. Never driven an Arcadia or even the Traverse. I do like the Explorers. Don't think I'll get upgraded since it's a One way to New York City but who knows. Got upgraded to a 3 series on a one way lux Res from Pittsburgh

Also what trims is normally available for the Arcadia and traverse with Avis?
The old Terrain is so ugly. The new one is unrecognizable.

The Acadia I had from Avis was quite nice inside, leather with nav and Bose audio and a more modern GM feel to it. I have not rented the new Traverse but when I rented the old one it was decent, with leather and such, but felt very dated.

What you get depends on what they have and your status but Standard Elite will most likely get you a higher trim. Although I've had Avis tell me that Standard Elite just means a 7-passenger and they can give me a barebones Pathfinder if they want.
Closingracer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Standard elite does indeed only mean that it will be a 7 passenger. Also dont expect to fit 7 people in one. The back seat is basically useless for all but small children, and with it up, there is little to no cargo room. The Explorers tend to be the nicest spec in this group, normally Limited trim. The Traverses that i have had have been the mid range LT trim, and the Pathfinder/Sorrento/Highlander's have been bare bones. I've never gotten an Acadia so i cant comment on those.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by mmoser2
Standard elite does indeed only mean that it will be a 7 passenger. Also dont expect to fit 7 people in one. The back seat is basically useless for all but small children, and with it up, there is little to no cargo room. The Explorers tend to be the nicest spec in this group, normally Limited trim. The Traverses that i have had have been the mid range LT trim, and the Pathfinder/Sorrento/Highlander's have been bare bones. I've never gotten an Acadia so i cant comment on those.

I know all this crap already lol. Just don't rent a lot with Avis and typically with National. Standard Elite SUV happens to be the cheapest rate for what I need that isn't a econ box or compact. As far as explorers goes I was curious because I've seen a lot if the XLT trim in avis at JFK
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brfilora
Presidents Club
Full Size
MCI
January 16th in the afternoon - 1 day rental

Any idea what I might expect to be upgraded to?
What do you want? They gave me a orange Mustang hard top on a full size once if that suits your needs. I would stop by the counter and ask about upgrades.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: too many
on a one-day rental you can push for a nice car (at least in the EU, not sure in the US) and end up with a vehicle a few categories higher
(current record on a one-day rental is from Mini - group A, got a MB C220 in the Large group F category 5 classes up)
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:16 am
CGR

Preferred (First rental)
Mercedes E-Klasse (GPS) or similar
HAZ
20th Feb - 5 days rental and leave at MUC

I'm guessing no upgrades, but wonder which car they can give "similar to E Klasse"...
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by CGR
Preferred (First rental)
Mercedes E-Klasse (GPS) or similar
HAZ
20th Feb - 5 days rental and leave at MUC

I'm guessing no upgrades, but wonder which car they can give "similar to E Klasse"...
5-series, S90 , XC90, A6 could be a few options
PS: I assume a typo, since HAZ is an airport in Papua New Guinea :-)
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:49 am
CGR

Originally Posted by ng1265
5-series, S90 , XC90, A6 could be a few options
PS: I assume a typo, since HAZ is an airport in Papua New Guinea :-)
Thank you very much,

I am fine with this lot, just asked if there might be something... unusual...

Actually I was trying to write the code for a Hamburg Avis dealership.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by CGR
Thank you very much,

I am fine with this lot, just asked if there might be something... unusual...

Actually I was trying to write the code for a Hamburg Avis dealership.
well, in terms of "unusual" I saw a couple of Jags once in that category in France. They might also have the new Alfa romeo Stelvio, but I think it is in a specific group
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:30 am

QUESTION ON LIKELINESS OF UPGRADE AT SMALL AVIS LOCATION:

I'm renting a Full-Size car at the "Charleston Cruise Ship Port" for one full day (Saturday) in May. I'm a President's Club member but don't usually rent from smaller locations like these.

Does anyone have any experience getting upgraded at locations like this? Anything I can do to increase my chances?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.