Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by miadeals
Ok, back to this. If they assign me a garbage car (do they assign at PIT?) I can swap it out in the app for whatever is available according to the app and they can't stop me from taking that to NYC can they? IE can one-ways use the app to swap?
I don't think the PIT location works with the app.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Yes. They did offer me a Crysler 300c to swap. I didn't take it because well its more of a premium car then a luxury car. If I wanted a 300 I could of also went with national using an aisle mid size rezoning and saved money. Only went with avis because the rate was good for a luxury car.

I got an email right before I left JFK and said I was assigned a MKT. Landed and another email stating I now was assigned the 328i
so this was all emails, you still had to go to the desk to swap and the app doesnt work there?

pit is so small im dreading this. Id go hertz and pick my own at midsize but rates are insane oneway with nyc drop, like triple!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by miadeals

so this was all emails, you still had to go to the desk to swap and the app doesnt work there?

pit is so small im dreading this. Id go hertz and pick my own at midsize but rates are insane oneway with nyc drop, like triple!

A swap was available on the App.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OWS, Alitalia Freccia Alata/ST Elite Plus, Avis, Hertz
Preferred Plus
Booked Standard SUV
YYC
May 2nd to 5th, picking up in the afternoon.
What kind of an SUV should I be expecting?

Cheers lads
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC & HH
Looking forward to a Standard Elite SUV in PHX mid-May taking advantage of the “get the cars out of Arizona” promotion.

Any ideas on my choices? Hoping for an Explorer.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Oapos
Looking forward to a Standard Elite SUV in PHX mid-May taking advantage of the “get the cars out of Arizona” promotion.

Any ideas on my choices? Hoping for an Explorer.
Avis defines Standard Elite as any 7-passenger SUV. Hopefully you can get an Explorer Limited but be prepared for a barebones Pathfinder.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:24 am

Avis at MCO

Hi there sorry posted in the old post also, travelling into MCO in August as a Prefered Avis holder. Booked a minivan 7 seater as there are 6 of us in the party, what can I expect to be assigned. Hoping for a Pacifica, whats my chances..

Thanks
Old May 27, 2018, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heppy69
Hi there sorry posted in the old post also, travelling into MCO in August as a Prefered Avis holder. Booked a minivan 7 seater as there are 6 of us in the party, what can I expect to be assigned. Hoping for a Pacifica, whats my chances..

Thanks
Fyi, I deleted your other post as cross-posting is prevented on FT.

As for your options, I'd say they are (based on most to least likely):
1. Pacifica. Lots of these on lots lately, but often bare bones.
2. Chrysler T&C. I had a GT (yes, there is such a thing as a GT minivan). All decked out, dual TV monitors, etc. Very nice minivan, which is usually an oxymoron.
3. Kia Sedona. These used to be very popular at avis but are disappearing. Most are very basic.
4. Toyota Sienna. Rare to find but a great van.

If you're lucky, maybe they won't have a van or you can sweet talk your way into a Tahoe or similar GM. They are amazing for a group of adults, if y'all fit with your luggage.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Any recent HNL renters know what they're offering for a Standard Elite SUV? I wouldn't mind either an Explorer or an Atlas.

PP status, if that helps.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by rflor
Any recent HNL renters know what they're offering for a Standard Elite SUV? I wouldn't mind either an Explorer or an Atlas.

PP status, if that helps.
Answering my own question...we received a loaded GMC Yukon (V8, Nav, driver assistance package, etc).

At first they offered me a Yukon XL, but I declined as I didn't feel like driving a school bus around Hawaii.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Answering my own question...we received a loaded GMC Yukon (V8, Nav, driver assistance package, etc).
Nice! As I've said in many places, the large GM SUVs (Tahoe/Yukon/suburban) are amazing! Good on gas, for their size, lots of amenities, and very nice to drive. In a city, they're not great, but otherwise, I often choose them.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Nice! As I've said in many places, the large GM SUVs (Tahoe/Yukon/suburban) are amazing! Good on gas, for their size, lots of amenities, and very nice to drive. In a city, they're not great, but otherwise, I often choose them.
I'm not so sure on the "good on gas" part just yet. After 2 days of light driving, we're averaging 14 MPG.

The V8 can move, though, and the cooled seats are excellent on high. Far better than my wife's Grand Cherokee.

We're headed to the east side of Oahu tomorrow, so I'll get a better feel for some moderate highway gas mileage.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in my last post...they also had a MB GLC 300 in the garage....which I would've really preferred over the Yukon However, I was told the upgrade charge would be $150 PER DAY. The Avis Preferred rep chuckled at my dumbfounded look.

Last edited by rflor; Jun 2, 2018 at 9:14 pm Reason: Edited to include other SUV optoons.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:53 am

I'm not so sure on the "good on gas" part just yet. After 2 days of light driving, we're averaging 14 MPG.

The V8 can move, though, and the cooled seats are excellent on high. Far better than my wife's Grand Cherokee.

We're headed to the east side of Oahu tomorrow, so I'll get a better feel for some moderate highway gas mileage.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in my last post...they also had a MB GLC 300 in the garage....which I would've really preferred over the Yukon However, I was told the upgrade charge would be $150 PER DAY. The Avis Preferred rep chuckled at my dumbfounded look.
Wow, the GLC 300 is an entry level compact crossover, not like its a Corvette or something. That's an absurd upcharge.
IAHtraveler, rflor and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
  • President's Club
  • Convertible, booked directly with Avis
  • Los Angeles Airport (LAX)
  • 23 June and 2 weeks forward
Booked a convertible in LAX for end of June. Presidents Club. What kind of car to expect?

if you get an 'old' mustang, can you convince them to give you one of the newer ones?

Last edited by brokenwindow; Jun 3, 2018 at 3:14 am
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Well, "good" in the grand scheme for its size, IMO. For example, in multiple rentals with plenty of miles, similar vehicles are much worse: Armada/QX80 and Sequoia in the 14 mpg range, GL450 amd Expedition 16, and even the Edge/MKX 18. However, with the GMs, I usually get in the 20mpg range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.