Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:14 am

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis

• Preffered Plus
  • Minivan (group v)
  • Miami
  • June 24 (sunday)
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blaa1
  • Preffered Plus
  • Mustang convertible
  • Fort lauderdale airport
  • 17 June
Can i count on a convertible or do i get an upgrade in another car group?
Count on the convertible. Might be able to talk your way into a premium, but I couldn't hold your breath.

Originally Posted by Blaa1
  • Preffered Plus
  • Minivan (group v)
  • Miami
  • June 24 (sunday)
Grand Caravan most likely. Or possibly a Sedona or Pacifica.
Blaa1 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Presidents club
Group K
London Heathrow T5
April 2nd (Sunday)

I've requested continental cover which I believe Avis UK policy rules out BMW and Mercedes. They've given me continental cover on Audi A1 and Audi A5 models before, but they were both "select" bookings where the model of car is guaranteed, whereas this booking isn't.

Last edited by Mackle; Mar 15, 2018 at 6:19 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:26 am

What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis?

• President's Club (European Preferred account)
  • Intermediate SUV
  • LGA
  • Wednesday May 16 (2 days)
  • One way to Boston (downtown)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by Mackle
Presidents club
Group K
London Heathrow T5
April 2nd (Sunday)

I've requested continental cover which I believe Avis UK policy rules out BMW and Mercedes. They've given me continental cover on Audi A1 and Audi A5 models before, but they were both "select" bookings where the model of car is guaranteed, whereas this booking isn't.
Non-Merc or BMW cars in this range (C-class or equivalent) could be like Audi A4 avant, Volvo XC60, VW Passat auto, Alfa Romeo Giulia
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Closingracer
The MKZ . Smaller car so better gas mileage ( also an inline 4 vs the 300 V6) and I am not one to call a crysler a luxury car. More like a premium car. If it's a 300c I. Might take it over a base or mid level mkz
With the MKZ now being under a recall, that could really cut down the options. I assume rental companies wouldn't rent out models that are recalled until they get fixed.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Juice77
With the MKZ now being under a recall, that could really cut down the options. I assume rental companies wouldn't rent out models that are recalled until they get fixed.
Correct. The Avis policy is not to rent out a recalled vehicle until it's fixed. The system actually blocks the car from going out from what I was told. I rent 1-2x a week and haven't seen more than ~10 MKZs since the beginning of the year so I doubt it's really affecting the Avis fleet much.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:42 am

• Avis Preferred Plus Premium
  • Signature Series (Jaguar XF or similar)
  • LAX
  • April 18
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iamalexchung
  • Avis Preferred Plus Premium
  • Signature Series (Jaguar XF or similar)
  • LAX
  • April 18
The XF. Not much else that they could give you. Maybe a MB C or E class if you take it without complaining it's not "similar".
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Preferred
Booked a Full size
SFO March 23
Hoping to get a AWD SUV
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
- Preferred
- Luxury
- MEM with a One Way Drop Off at LIT
- Saturday 6/23 11:30 AM

Curious to see what Luxury car they give me with the one-way aspect of my rental.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
The XF. Not much else that they could give you. Maybe a MB C or E class if you take it without complaining it's not "similar".

From my understanding of the Avis system (sorry use national more) wouldn't a c class or even e class which is in the same class ( according to the website) a downgrade??
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Closingracer
From my understanding of the Avis system (sorry use national more) wouldn't a c class or even e class which is in the same class ( according to the website) a downgrade??
I would absolutely think so. But if they don't have an XF (prior renter got into av accident/kept it longer, Avis lost the keys or overbooked, etc etc), who knows what they might try to sub and get away with.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by ng1265
Non-Merc or BMW cars in this range (C-class or equivalent) could be like Audi A4 avant, Volvo XC60, VW Passat auto, Alfa Romeo Giulia
I thought that collecting from an airport location with President's Club meant that I got at least one upgrade though? Or by asking for continental cover (which I have to pay an extra £100ish for when I collect the vehicle) does that mean that I have forfeit the upgrade? (And maybe should have booked a lower group?)
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:45 pm

• Preferred (no status)
  • H: Luxury
  • LAX
  • May 25 (Friday) for 3 weeks.
Curious what's common for Luxury at LAX, going to be driving a lot so I thought I'd splurge and go for better than my normal full size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.