Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by m907
Avis's definition of standard elite SUV is any 7 or 8-passenger SUV.
Indeed, so offering a van which is not an SUV is not like for like, offering a regular SUV which seats 5 is a definite downgrade, this was my point. I accept the Flex is a 7 seat SUV, and I said as much, it was the agent that said it's a van. My point which I thought was clear is that renting this group has always resulted in drama over available vehicles, when they don't have one in that group.
Incidentally Standard Elite is 7 seats, it's Full Size SUV that's 7 or 8 seats.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz
Indeed, so offering a van which is not an SUV is not like for like, offering a regular SUV which seats 5 is a definite downgrade, this was my point. I accept the Flex is a 7 seat SUV, and I said as much, it was the agent that said it's a van. My point which I thought was clear is that renting this group has always resulted in drama over available vehicles, when they don't have one in that group.
Incidentally Standard Elite is 7 seats, it's Full Size SUV that's 7 or 8 seats.
Yep, Avis gets silly when it comes to SUVs. Standard Elite should mean a nicer SUV, usually Ford Explorer Limited in my experience, but occasionally they'll dump a base trim Pathfinder on you and say "it has 7 seats, we met our obligation".
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m907
Sandard Elite should mean a nicer SUV, usually Ford Explorer Limited in my experience, but occasionally they'll dump a base trim Pathfinder on you and say "it has 7 seats, we met our obligation".
Curious as to why you feel it "should mean a nicer SUV"? Nowhere on the Avis.com site or app does it say anything about increased amenities/trim levels.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Curious as to why you feel it "should mean a nicer SUV"? Nowhere on the Avis.com site or app does it say anything about increased amenities/trim levels.
The whole Elite thing is a bit of a throw off. I rent Standard Elite about 90% of the time and I always get an Explorer Limited. Expedition now and then.

Still would take a base level Pathfinder over a Chevy SUV.
m907 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:27 am

The word "elite". If it just means a base trim 7 passenger then they should call it 7-passenger SUV.

Originally Posted by Redwood839
The whole Elite thing is a bit of a throw off. I rent Standard Elite about 90% of the time and I always get an Explorer Limited. Expedition now and then.

Still would take a base level Pathfinder over a Chevy SUV.
GM cars are lackluster in general, though the new Traverse looks interesting enough.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
As others have said if that's the absolute then why not call it a 7 seat SUV. Standard Elite suggests a better class, like a GT or a LX, or whatever letters the US typically uses to ID high end models of the same vehicle.

For me it's an unwillingness to offer the upgrade when you don't have what's been rented. As a Brit I've typically pre-paid and don't have the walkaway option. Although I'm considering giving up on pre-pay and doing reservations directly with the rental company rather than through the airline for mileage, then I can walk away from it when messed about with. Interestingly I knew what a Flex was as I'd had one previously, and on that occasion I was sitting in it in the garage familiarising myself with the controls, adjusting seat mirror etc. when someone approached and said it was their car, another Brit as it happens, Orlando I think this was. We compared rental agreements and he'd just been assigned the car by Budget whilst I'd been assigned the same car by Avis, that seemed quite odd too. Does a vehicle not get allocated until you leave the garage?
m907 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:41 am

Does LAS have Ford Explorer?

My question: Does LAS have Ford Explorer? I want that model but I cannot reserve the exact one.
  • No Status
  • Standard Elite SUV
  • LAS
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by wenleizhu
My question: Does LAS have Ford Explorer? I want that model but I cannot reserve the exact one.
  • No Status
  • Standard Elite SUV
  • LAS
Explorers are common in Avis's fleet, usually classified as a standard elite SUV. But there's no way to know if a particular airport will have one on a particular day.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:54 pm

• Your Avis status: Preferred
  • Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve): Standard Elite SUV
  • Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays: Dec 21st, evening
Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by HorsepowerWar
  • Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve): Standard Elite SUV
  • Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays: Dec 21st, evening
Thanks in advance!
Never been to OAK, but my guess would be an Explorer or Traverse.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:52 am

• Your Avis status: Preferred Plus
  • Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve): Standard SUV
  • Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays: Dec 19th morning

Debating whether i want to book a SUV at a local neighbor hood location or pick up from the aiport and pay extra. Hoping to get a AWD / 4x4 incase of snow.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by LReyes66
  • Your Avis status: Preferred Plus
  • Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve): Standard SUV
  • Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays: Dec 19th morning

Debating whether i want to book a SUV at a local neighbor hood location or pick up from the aiport and pay extra. Hoping to get a AWD / 4x4 incase of snow.
Snow is highly unlikely in Houston...
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:30 pm

• Preferred plus
  • Intermediate / premium
  • DEN
  • Picking up early am on Wednesday the 19th until the following Sunday evening.
i have a reservation for both intermediate and preimum. I was able to used a coupon ontop of my AWD code but still $40 more then the intermediate reservation. Debating whether the preimum potential upgrades would b worth it. I typically get decent upgrades when I rent intermediate for business.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:32 am

Rented: Group C (Intermediate)
Pick up: LAX
Drop off: Union st, LA
March 24th 3pm - March 28th 3pm

Any idea what I might expect?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:47 am

• Car type/class reserved (and maybe method used to reserve): Minivan
  • Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays: April 18, 2019 - April 29, 2019 (Easter)
Hi all - first post. I booked a Priceline hot rate deal that was super cheap and wound up with Avis. After that I signed up with Avis, not sure if that will make a difference. Couple questions:
- what is the most likely minivan I'll receive with this reservation?
- I don't believe there is a way to add this reservation to my Avis account since it was booked through a 3rd party. I'd like to do this so i can use the app, and possibly see what vehicle I am being assigned before I arrive there...if that is even an option at BUF. Anyone have any info on that?
- Anyone have direct experience with Avis at BUF? I have seen a few that mention long wait times...

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.