Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Did they eliminate plastic cards? Can't seem to find anywhere to re-order one.
yes.
however, if you are an elite member, call LM and they might send you one.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
yes.
however, if you are an elite member, call LM and they might send you one.
Not an elite member, but I'll call and ask.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:51 pm

Hi, I have a quick question regarding a flight I booked on United with Lifemiles. Is it possible to change my user information so that the FF# is using the MileagePlus number (since I'm United Gold)? I don't see any options to change information on the Lifemiles website, and the reservation on United is locked down for me.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:24 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by slowreactor
Hi, I have a quick question regarding a flight I booked on United with Lifemiles. Is it possible to change my user information so that the FF# is using the MileagePlus number (since I'm United Gold)? I don't see any options to change information on the Lifemiles website, and the reservation on United is locked down for me.
It's been a while since I did this, so my apologies if it's been "enhanced," but when I booked a LM itinerary with a UA segment, I went to the united.com website and retrieved the record with the record locator and last name. Then I could add my MP number there. Subsequently, the trip would show up as a "Future Flight" on the UA site and app.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:24 pm

If I cancel an award booking - how soon will the miles post back into the account?

Is it better to cancel and then separately make another award booking or try to change one into another?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by tr3k
If I cancel an award booking - how soon will the miles post back into the account?

Is it better to cancel and then separately make another award booking or try to change one into another?
They'll let you know your options when you call them. Cancelling is more expensive, but changes are very restricted. If you can change, go for the change.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 4:25 pm

What constitutes a change? I assume that means same departure and destination city?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
What constitutes a change? I assume that means same departure and destination city?
The process would be easier if you simply stated what you were attempting to accomplish. Not even the customer service representatives are well versed on award itineraries. Determine exactly what you are attempting to accomplish and then ask the question, either on a public forum or on the phone with the Lifemiles customer service representative.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:09 pm

I have a ticket from Japan to the US. I am considering extending my trip and flying back home from another airport in Japan, *if* a good ticket comes up (currently there is none).

I might be ok with a $200 cancelation fee, although of course paying less would be better.

The main concern is - how long will refund of miles take from the time I request cancelation. If it takes a significant amount of time, any decent award availability may be gone by then.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
T&Cs on the LM website are clear. Only date/time of departure can be changed.
Any change in routing/carrier/origin/destination/cabin is not allowed and a full cancel and rebook is required.

For example, if you have this ticket (business class mileage),
ORD-EWR-FRA-ZRH in UA Economy-LH Business-LX-Business
You can only change the departure dates/time, but have to keep the routing, airline carriers and cabins booked.
You may get lucky with a cabin change for any economy segments in a business class ticket, or business/economy class segments in a first class ticket,
but that is an oversight/favor with the LM call center agents and not a right.

https://www.lifemiles.com/terms-conditions
Under >Redeeming Mileage
Under that, at the bottom
>>Date changes are possible only if there is availability in the same class in which the ticket was redeemed. Charges may apply to such date changes. Route changes are not allowed on award tickets.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:04 am

That's fine with me - I can cancel and book a new one. So if I cancel the existing ticket - how long until the miles post back into the LM account?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
That's fine with me - I can cancel and book a new one. So if I cancel the existing ticket - how long until the miles post back into the LM account?
The forum includes a Wiki "Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket". Did the information in the Wiki not answer your question? Please consider doing your homework prior to asking questions that have been asked and answered time and time again. No one can tell you with a high degree of certainty when Lifemiles will return the points to you account.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
The forum includes a Wiki "Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket". Did the information in the Wiki not answer your question? Please consider doing your homework prior to asking questions that have been asked and answered time and time again. No one can tell you with a high degree of certainty when Lifemiles will return the points to you account.
Thank you for taking the time to teach me good manners Happy holidays to you as well
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
The 25$ booking fee is per redemption or per ticket?
I'm trying to redeem (under the same redemption) for 3pax the same flight, and it's charging me 75$. is this right? kind of a crappy deal.

Last edited by GBM.flights; Jan 15, 2020 at 3:11 am
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
The 25$ booking fee is per redemption or per ticket?
I'm trying to redeem (under the same redemption) for 3pax the same flight, and it's charging me 75$. is this right? kind of a crappy deal.
Per person. Depends on the award - LM doesn't levy fuel surcharges... so LH F you get a sweet deal. Booking USA domestics you'd probably be getting slugged more than other programs that don't charge a booking fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.