Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Used for United Club

I used the personal Plat card to pay for annual United Club access and received $200 credit within a week. That was nice.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
7/23 Purchased … 7/27 Credit posted
Good to read, thank you for posting, hopefully the first of many similar posts (and a return to more immediate gratification). 3-4 days was the typical interval between purchase and credit until a year or 2 or 3 ago when it became 6-8 days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by TravelLovingGal
I know the AmEx credit can’t be used for a seat upgrade, but can it be used go go from economy to economy plus? United’s website doesn’t seem to count that as an upgrade.
I don't know if you were able to get an answer but I would love to know if the Amex incidental fee credit applies to going from Economy to Economy Plus. It looks like a seat selection fee on the website while Premium Plus is another cabin (and may not be covered). I'd appreciate it if you knew! Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2023, 3:32 pm

Paid some bag fees at YVR (Vancouver, Canada) and the pending charge shows as "UNITED E T CANADA". Should be no problem w/ Amex Plat airline credit, correct? Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:28 pm

I've been getting "Enter Valid Credit Card" when I try to use my dad's Amex Biz Plat for TB purchase. Anyone else experience this?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by teetertotterboy
I've been getting "Enter Valid Credit Card" when I try to use my dad's Amex Biz Plat for TB purchase. Anyone else experience this?
Have you added that card to UA "Wallet"?
Old Aug 6, 2023, 6:18 am

August data point

Changed selected airline via chat 5 Aug. Confirmed airline on app = United on 6 Aug. Went to website listed in intro in iPhone Safari and purchased 2 x $100 Travel Bank credits using saved card. Charges from “United Electronic Ticketing” show as Pending.

Will update if/when credit posts.
socal77 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Have you added that card to UA "Wallet"?
Thank you for suggesting this. Was having issues using my P2 card, but adding to UA wallet fixed it
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Here's a DP for the Aspire that's a bit weird
Purchased $50 TB beginning of August and still no credit
Purchased 2x$100 TB a few days after the first purchase, and both credited.

Has anyone had $50 TB not getting credited ?
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by teetertotterboy
Make sure you just have numbers. No dashes. It will let you add the dashes. But you get the message you are seeing.

TD
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Aug 11, 2023 at 10:14 pm
Old Aug 12, 2023, 4:04 pm

Update - credit took 5 Calendar days

Originally Posted by optimilez2016
Changed selected airline via chat 5 Aug. Confirmed airline on app = United on 6 Aug. Went to website listed in intro in iPhone Safari and purchased 2 x $100 Travel Bank credits using saved card. Charges from “United Electronic Ticketing” show as Pending.

Will update if/when credit posts.
11 Aug 23 - 2 x $100 credits posted
Old Aug 12, 2023, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arshi007
Here's a DP for the Aspire that's a bit weird
Purchased 2x$100 TB a few days after the first purchase, and both credited.

Has anyone had $50 TB not getting credited ?
How long was $50 TB purchase after you changed the airline for the "incidental credit" to United? If too soon, that might the problem, rather than the $50 amount.

Some people have had problems getting credit when they made the purchase too soon after changing the airline to United.
SPN Lifer and MaxVO like this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
How long was $50 TB purchase after you changed the airline for the "incidental credit" to United? If too soon, that might the problem, rather than the $50 amount.

Some people have had problems getting credit when they made the purchase too soon after changing the airline to United.
My selection to United has been there for the past two years with no change so I don't think that's the contributing factor. FWIW, this is the first time I purchased it with this breakdown. Usually I have either used the credit to by a $250 TB or to purchase economy plus for international flights. Maybe i should have stuck to purchasing the single $250.

Now i'm contemplating if I should reach out to AmEx to get the credit manually and risk drawing their attention or just "bite the bullet" and use the 50 for other expenses.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 5:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by arshi007
That's only about two weeks? When the automated system misses a transaction on the first pass, it does not keep looking at the same date. At some point a cleanup batch will look at that date again, and it may be reimbursed without any action on your part. I would let it go for now.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, levilevi and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
That's only about two weeks? When the automated system misses a transaction on the first pass, it does not keep looking at the same date. At some point a cleanup batch will look at that date again, and it may be reimbursed without any action on your part. I would let it go for now.
Well i followed your advice and just waited. Lo and behold the credit for the $50 also posted. I guess its better to just buy a single 250 TB instead of breaking it down.
SPN Lifer, mia, sdsearch and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.