Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jeryer
Hi leftysauce, any updates about your reimbursement? I didn't see the tip to wait for 24 hours before purchasing United Travel Bank credit. And was hoping you could give some insight on your situation! Thanks in advance.
never got reimbursed so I tried again on 10/11 (2x$100) and they were reimbursed on 10/15 (meter changed on 10/13)

so I would suggest waiting for maybe a day or two after making the selection
jeryer likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:20 pm
nlf

AMEX Plat
October 12th $100 United Travel Bank
October 16th credited for full amount
kouichi likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 11:40 pm

Recently got the Aspire and I'm thinking about using UA Travel Bank for the $250. Is it possible if I purchase the Travel Bank under my wife's UA account? That way it can all just accumulate under her since she has a higher probability flying UA with cash more than I do.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by boingyman
Recently got the Aspire and I'm thinking about using UA Travel Bank for the $250. Is it possible if I purchase the Travel Bank under my wife's UA account? That way it can all just accumulate under her since she has a higher probability flying UA with cash more than I do.
You can purchase in whichever UA account you wish. The imprtant thing here is the card being used.
SPN Lifer and boingyman like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 8:06 am

Oct 13 Aspire $100, Oct 17 credited
kouichi likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:53 am

Data Point

AM Personal Plat

10/13 2x$100 purchased
10/17 2x$100 credited
kouichi likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Changes to Amex Hilton Aspire announced yesterday. Airline reimbursement now $50 quarterly. Appears to include all airline charges, so it should be more flexible, but obviously quarterly = tougher to use.

Current cardholders supposedly grandfathered for the $250/year thru Dec. 31, 2023, but might want to proceed with caution until new reports come in.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by js1993
<snip>Current cardholders supposedly grandfathered for the $250/year thru Dec. 31, 2023, but might want to proceed with caution until new reports come in.
Or people can be the data point they seek!

Regards
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by scubadu
Or people can be the data point they seek!
Amex hasn't sent cardholders a notice about the changes yet, so it would seem like an easy CFPB win if it came to that for anyone using the old $250/year before notice is received. But I know a lot of people don't like to poke the hornet's nest.

Wouldn't be surprised to see similar changes coming to the Plat, so people might want to use those ASAP.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:27 pm

Aspire
Oct 14 $50+$100
Oct 18 Credited $50+$100
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
Amex hasn't sent cardholders a notice about the changes yet, so it would seem like an easy CFPB win if it came to that for anyone using the old $250/year before notice is received. But I know a lot of people don't like to poke the hornet's nest.

Wouldn't be surprised to see similar changes coming to the Plat, so people might want to use those ASAP.
I got an email 2 hours ago about the changes. Here's what it says in the fine print

4. $250 Airline Fee Credit

This benefit is only available through December 31, 2023 for Hilton Honors Aspire Card Members approved prior to October 19, 2023. Effective January 1, 2024, the $250 Airline Fee Credit will no longer be available. Card Members who enrolled in the benefit before December 31, 2023 can continue to receive statement credits of up to $250 per calendar year toward incidental air travel fees on their selected qualifying airline through December 31,2023.

To receive statement credits of up to $250 per calendar year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must select one qualifying airline by calling the American Express number on the back of the card. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen one qualifying airline will be able to do so at anytime. Card Members who have already selected one qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged to the Card Member on the eligible Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $250 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Card Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Members airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to selection of a qualifying airline are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the charge under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be recognized as an incidental air travel fee. Please allow 6-8 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Card Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 8 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges.
TravelLawyer and kouichi like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold ne Platinum; AA Plat.
Divergence between name on credit card and travel bank account

Does it matter if the credit card is in a different name than the UA account. E.g., if I use a credit card in my name to purchase $100 for the travel bank in my wife's name, does that matter in terms of the reimbursement? Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by jgold
Does it matter if the credit card is in a different name than the UA account. E.g., if I use a credit card in my name to purchase $100 for the travel bank in my wife's name, does that matter in terms of the reimbursement? Thanks.
Nope (see above)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:25 pm

Based on the Terms & Conditions, it doesn't sound like TravelBank will trigger the new Aspire credit:
"... up to $200 annually for eligible purchases of airfare made directly with an airline or through amextravel.com. To be eligible for this benefit, an airfare purchase must be for a scheduled flight on a passenger carrier and purchased directly from the airline or through amextravel.com."
Old Oct 19, 2023, 7:39 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by travelcards
Based on the Terms & Conditions,...."
Based on the Terms and Conditions, Travelbank was never reimbursable. A TravelBank transaction resembles a ticket purchase. It may, or may not, be reimbursed.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and ZenFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.