Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2023, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Just checked mine. Posted! 5/5.

I had checked it one last time at 12;05a PST on 5/6 and it still had not posted. So must have “processed” some time after midnight and posted for the previous day.

Never had it take so long, but all good now. Just need the Dell credits to post and good to move on

Thanks everyone for the advice and DP

TD
Purchased travel bank $100 x2 on 5/14

The same thing happened to me! So I checked today and on my "Benefits" tab, it says that the $200 airline fee credit has been used but I don't have the statement credit posted yet. I didn't reach out to Amex or anything like that. Hopefully that means it'll process to a credit soon.
Old May 25, 2023, 9:41 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
AMEX Hilton Aspire
Purchased UA TB on 5/18
5/27 Meter "Congratulations! You have earned all of your $250 Airline Fee Credit for this year."
6/2 credit posted

Last edited by Weyland Yutani Corp; Jul 3, 2023 at 10:26 am Reason: updated posting
Old May 25, 2023, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
I am looking to buy a $208.90 OW to fly a United 787 from IAD-LAX in September, upgrading to an Economy Plus seat in the Premium Plus Cabin (sold as Economy Plus domestically). I am a lowly Silver, but if I get upgraded to FC, United will refund the Economy Plus seat fee per their FAQ. If I charge the airfare and the Main Cabin Extra fee to my Platinum card, would AMEX claw back the $209.00 Economy Plus fee if it gets refunded? I don't know whether AMEX can distinguish between the refund of a fee vs. the refund of an air fare. I'd be making the purchase now for travel in September.
It's a moot question. As a silver, you're not getting upgraded on a UA hub-to-hub. 1Ks will die on that waitlist.

And Main Cabin Extra is AA :-)
Old May 25, 2023, 12:26 pm

Bought 2x $100 UA Travel Bank on 5/10 with Biz Plat. As of 5/25, credit still hasn't posted, but "benefits activity" tracker states for the first time that I've earned all my $200 AF credit for the year.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Judgm3nt
Bought 2x $100 UA Travel Bank on 5/10 with Biz Plat. As of 5/25, credit still hasn't posted, but "benefits activity" tracker states for the first time that I've earned all my $200 AF credit for the year.
I think this seems to be happening to all of us. Hopefully that means that it'll be processing as a statement credit in a few days.

ETA:
So 5/14/23 2x$100 purchased
5/24: the benefits tab said benefit complete
5/26: statement credit posted.

Last edited by Refund9430; May 26, 2023 at 7:32 am
Old May 26, 2023, 12:06 pm

If I buy travel bank as gift,. is this like that i would buy travel bank for my account? Anyone tried this?
Old May 26, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
5/16 purchase $50 TB
5/23 meter moved
5/25 statement credit applied
Old May 26, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
5/16 purchase $50 TB
5/23 meter moved
5/25 statement credit applied
Purchased Travel Bank (and cell phone) 510 and 5/11 > just today being credited
Looks as if there was a bug in the system for a few weeks and they just solved the problem.
Old May 26, 2023, 6:39 pm
Hg7

5/15 purchased $100 TB x2
5/22 meter moved
5/26 credit posted
Old May 27, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm looking for a logic check from the group because I'm thinking about switching my AMEX Platinum fee credit over to United.

I am looking to buy a $208.90 OW to fly a United 787 from IAD-LAX in September, upgrading to an Economy Plus seat in the Premium Plus Cabin (sold as Economy Plus domestically). I am a lowly Silver, but if I get upgraded to FC, United will refund the Economy Plus seat fee per their FAQ. If I charge the airfare and the Main Cabin Extra fee to my Platinum card, would AMEX claw back the $209.00 Economy Plus fee if it gets refunded? I don't know whether AMEX can distinguish between the refund of a fee vs. the refund of an air fare. I'd be making the purchase now for travel in September.

Yes, I realize aircraft swaps could happen this far out, but the flight I'm looking has historically always been a widebody. Worst case scenario, it would get changed to a high-density 777 so I'd get downgraded to a true Economy Plus seat, which I can live with.
I you are United Silver, you can upgrade yourself for free from Economy to Economy Plus at check-in time (24 hours before the flight). So TravelBank is a much better Amex credit option for someone United Silver than paying for an Economy Plus upgrade.
Old May 29, 2023, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I you are United Silver, you can upgrade yourself for free from Economy to Economy Plus at check-in time (24 hours before the flight). So TravelBank is a much better Amex credit option for someone United Silver than paying for an Economy Plus upgrade.
But probably not into a PE seat, they'll likely be long gone by check-in. OP's strategy for getting into a PE seat on this route is not unreasonable (though I would agree the Travel Bank purchase might be the better the call).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 8:11 am

Transaction Date May 19th
Meter Moved May 29th
Will update when posted.

Amex Aspire $250 travelbank
Old May 31, 2023, 8:40 am

Amex Business Platinum $50 Travel Bank transaction on 10 May, credit appeared 25 May.
Old May 31, 2023, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm looking for a logic check from the group because I'm thinking about switching my AMEX Platinum fee credit over to United.

Yes, I realize aircraft swaps could happen this far out, but the flight I'm looking has historically always been a widebody. Worst case scenario, it would get changed to a high-density 777 so I'd get downgraded to a true Economy Plus seat, which I can live with.
in addition to what has been said (good luck with that upgrade….), note the following:

- you can check in the UA forum, but if you were to somehow get upgraded to F, I don’t believe the E+ fee (which, by the way, isn’t an ‘upgrade’ technically) gets refunded. My understanding is it only gets refunded for paid upgrades, but not for CPU upgrades.
- Amex can definitely tell where the refund is coming from, assuming UA does it like most places, where they will refund the initial charge. I think they can theoretically ‘credit’ without referencing the original charge, but I don’t think that’s SOP - most refunds reference the initial charge (that also prevents a vendor from somehow refunding more than the original charge). I believe unlike other issuers, Amex is pretty good about clawing back credits for refunded charges - Chase/Cap1 don’t seem to do that much, even if they can.
- Talking about downgrades and upgrades within economy, especially when you also reference F is just confusing. UA doesn’t consider E+ a separate cabin, nor does it consider PP seats in an aircraft where they aren’t selling PP as different from normal E+ (though they may well charge more for those seats vs. a seat say, 1 row back, not sure). You can pay for an E+ seat, but it’s not considered an ‘upgrade’ - you can be moved to a plane without a PP cabin, but that’s not considered a downgrade since it’s all just E+. And E+ is a separate section within economy (unlike DL, where they sell their seats in a different cabin, with a different fare class, and different amenities).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:35 pm

Is it possible to use Travel Bank on United-marketed AirCanada flight? Maybe by converting to Flight Credit (booking United flight and cancelling it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.