Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:52 pm

New to AMEX Aspire and was nervous about trying the travel bank route but it worked!
  • June 30: Charged $250 to card (as one single purchase) to fund United travel bank. Appeared on AMEX statement as “UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX”
  • Never saw “the needle move”
  • July 6: $250 airline incidental credit appeared on statement
SPN Lifer and MaxVO like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
DP

07/03 2x $100 UA TravelBank
Pending as UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETNG

07/10 2x $100 credit
Old Jul 11, 2023, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Unpledged4016
Personal AMEX Platinum
1/20 - $100 TB
1/20 - $39 Main Cabin -> E+ Upgrade
1/26 - $100 TB Credit
1/26 - $39 E+ Upgrade Credit

1/26 - $50 TB
2/01 - $50 TB Credit

Have $11 left, will likely use for in-flight wifi or seat selection in the future
Ended up getting $50 TB to use the remaining $11.

06/12 - $50 TB
06/20 - $11 TB Credit
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: All
Data point on gifted TB

2x $100 TB gifted directly to a friend on 7/1/23. 2x $100 credited back 7/7/23.
JusRelax likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:59 pm

DP

7/05 bought a $300 premium plus upgrade
7/11 received $75 (all i had left) fee reimbursement
friedablass and travelbugging like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 10:25 am

Travel Bank Data Point

07/06 - 2 x $100 TB purchased (charged as "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX")
07/12 - 2 x $100 credits posted
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
7/7 New Platinum Biz card with UA newly selected, purchased 2 x $100 TB

7/13 meter moved to show $200 credit used

7/14 2 x $100 credit posted with date of 7/13
Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:00 am

Is travelbank locked again? All I see is 'Verifying your offer'
Old Jul 25, 2023, 12:42 pm

DP

07/11 - $100 TB
07/16 - Reimbursed
07/19 - $100 TB
07/24 - Reimbursed
Old Jul 25, 2023, 4:09 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by p00hdiddy
Have you added your American Express card to your United account? Have you tried Incognito/Private browser mode? Have you tried more than one browser?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by mia
Have you added your American Express card to your United account? Have you tried Incognito/Private browser mode? Have you tried more than one browser?
yes sir. Not my first rodeo.

Just got the BoA preferred rewards card and wanted to drop a hundo into the bank
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Where exactly are you seeing this message - when trying to purchase TB funds on the United website? And at what part of the process?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Where exactly are you seeing this message - when trying to purchase TB funds on the United website? And at what part of the process?
I log into travelbank and click on 'fund my travelbank'

From there, it just has a spinning star with 'verifying your offer' written above the spinning star. Some say the star is still spinning today, because it is. It never stops spinning till I close the page.
nlf likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
I log into travelbank and click on 'fund my travelbank'

From there, it just has a spinning star with 'verifying your offer' written above the spinning star. Some say the star is still spinning today, because it is. It never stops spinning till I close the page.
Hmmm. When I log into my United account and go to "My United" I can get to the Travel Bank page, including "add funds" without problem. I did not try to complete the process of actually adding funds, so if that's when your problem is arising, I can't speak to that. I haven't heard of Travel Bank being "locked" but you might get a broader range of answers by posting in the Travel Bank thread on the United forum.
SPN Lifer and sdsearch like this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
7/23 Purchased $250 in Travelbank funds with Hilton Aspire card

7/27 Credit posted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.