Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Happy New Year folks! With my bill due date on 1/8 and statement closing 1/13, I've made my 2x $100 TB purchases along with my Saks online purchase. All 3 purchases are dated 1/1 when logging into AMEX.

I planned to close a couple of weeks ago when my AF hit on 12/14 but figured I would take a shot at using up the 2023 credits. If the credits don't post by 1/12, I will probably ask for a retention and if none is offered, close the card anyway.

I will update this thread if/when my TB charges get reimbursed.

Edit: just a small update. My Saks was enrolled & UA was already selected, but when I logged in after the purchases, my entire Benefits page is unenrolled. if I try to click Select Airline, nothing happens. I think it might be some sort of glitch. If it doesn't correct itself, I'll definitely be closing the card.

Edit 2: I logged in from my phone and it was asking me to select an airline. I chose United and received an email from AMEX with the confirmation. Didn't let me re-enroll in Saks. Very weird. Here's hoping it didn't mess anything up by re-selecting UA.

Edit 3: Logged out/in and everything was re-enrolled (including the Digital Entertainment credit). Repeated and everything was un-enrolled. Repeated again and everything stayed enrolled. Definitely glitching. I'll leave it alone for now and ride it out. Worst case I have 5 years to use the TB I purchased and I already had UA selected before the purchase, so I hope whatever reimbursement triggers were in place caught it

Last edited by maustro; Jan 1, 2023 at 2:28 am
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:07 am

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I'll just keep posting here in lieu of a 2023 thread (assuming a moderator will move).

I'll be a guinea pig.

4x$100 (Personal + Biz Plat) via https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Pending charge shows as:
UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETNG

HSCAC - 12TH

FLOOR 609 MAIN STREET

HOUSTON

TX

Will update/post again if/when/once credits show.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:38 am

Be the change you wish to see! Longterm lurker, first time poster.

Charged 1 x $250 to travelbank on one of our Hilton Aspires. Will update this post in a few days!

Edit: Meter moved on Jan 6th!

Last edited by lostintravis; Jan 7, 2023 at 5:56 am Reason: updated with January 6th update.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I've got one Platinum I'm cancelling on the 12th, so I'm in for $100x2 as well. Will update when I see a change.

Edit: Meter moved Jan 6th, Credit Posted Jan 7th

Last edited by rayfoxii; Jan 15, 2023 at 6:32 am
Old Jan 1, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
Im guessing I don't need to re-select the airline if it's already UA from last year?

Looking forward to another $650 in travel bank
Old Jan 1, 2023, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
Im guessing I don't need to re-select the airline if it's already UA from last year?

Looking forward to another $650 in travel bank
I triple checked and UA still shows as my selected airline, so I think it does carry over and we don't have to re-select it.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Got 2X $100 travelbank / $200 Dell and $10 cell on one of my Biz Platinum.

Lets see how long it takes for the credits to show.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by blitzen
Got 2X $100 travelbank / $200 Dell and $10 cell on one of my Biz Platinum.

Lets see how long it takes for the credits to show.
Exact same situation here. Did ATT this morning, not sure whether to pull the trigger on Dell and UA TB, but likely will. AF due date is 1/13, so want to get credits and cancel before that.

Update: Pulled the trigger on UA TB 2 x $100 and Dell 2 x $100 Xbox GCs. We'll see.

Last edited by mpchurnchi; Jan 1, 2023 at 10:15 am Reason: Update
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:30 am

Platinum:
2x$100 charged 1/1/23
2x$100 posted 1/3 - post date 1/1

Biz Platinum:
2x$100 charged 1/1/23
2x$100 posted 1/3 - post date 1/1

Will update when credited!

Last edited by lax01; Jan 3, 2023 at 12:07 pm
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by mpchurnchi
Exact same situation here. Did ATT this morning, not sure whether to pull the trigger on Dell and UA TB, but likely will. AF due date is 1/13, so want to get credits and cancel before that.

Update: Pulled the trigger on UA TB 2 x $100 and Dell 2 x $100 Xbox GCs. We'll see.
My AF posted late December- want to get the credits posted before the next/last retention call
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:42 am

In for a penny, in for a pound: about to make 16x $100 TB charges... will report back
seawolf, SPN Lifer, lax01 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:43 am

Ordered 2 x $100 on TB with AmEx Biz Plat, on 1/1/23. Have to close card by 1/13/23. Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
I purchased $250 (Aspire) + 4x$100 (2 x Pers Plat). In hindsight I probably should've waited to purchase for 2/3 of these cards as the only one with a tight deadline is one of the plat cards that I'm planning to downgrade. Oh well, going all in.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

Placeholder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.