Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:57 pm

Thank you!

got it thanks!

Last edited by mia; Jan 5, 2023 at 6:38 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lakhataria
I selected UA as airline today on Amex Hilton Aspire but missed the part of waiting a day on wiki page. I already made a $100 Travel bank purchase after 10 mins of selecting UA. what happens now ? will I get reimbursed ?
You will get reimbursed. I have done the same on Dec 26 last year and I got reimbursed. As long as you selected UA there shouldn't be any issue. This is assumed that travel bank will still be reimbursed at Amex
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by seawolf
+1

Posts in other data point threads such as Trusted Traveler approval/Passport/Points transfer are pretty much after the fact.

The add value is not a post indicating you made a charge today; it is the post when you indicate reimbursement was made.
A post stating that no reimbursement was made two weeks (or some other reasonable time period) after the charge also adds value. Otherwise we will never know travel bank charges no longer work.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
You're right, I missed it, since they change the visual format.
what’s your visual format look like? Mine looks like a link with
✅ enroll/airline-fee-credit/United Airlines

another page says
✅ selected airline : united airlines

Last edited by sbellotti84; Jan 5, 2023 at 7:23 pm
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:23 pm

1/1 - 16x $100 UA TB purchased
1/5 - Counter moved
1/6 - Credit posted
UAzip, Gar1P, ZenFlyer and 5 others like this.

Last edited by us1549; Jan 6, 2023 at 12:17 pm
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by us1549
1/5 - Counter finally moved

Will report back when credit posted.
Did it move on all your cards. 1/1 purchase on personal plat and mine hasn’t moved yet.
driptoohard likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FreFly
A post stating that no reimbursement was made two weeks (or some other reasonable time period) after the charge also adds value. Otherwise we will never know travel bank charges no longer work.
Agree one some post here that they didn't get reimbursed but there is still no value posting "I made a charge today." So let's say one posted "I made charge today" and they didn't get reimbursed and didn't post a follow-up.

Audience here won't be able to ascertain whether poster didn't get reimbursed or poster completely forgot to come back to this thread.
SPN Lifer and friedablass like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pickle_flyer
Valid point, but I would argue that the charge posts let me know that there are some guinea pigs waiting for the reimbursement and gives me some comfort. Otherwise, the whole thread would be silent for few weeks and I would have no idea what is happening in this world.
What should give you comfort, is that if you scrub these threads going back several years, you will most likely never find a failure of the credit to post, unless someone violates the well documented guidelines for making this work. I follow this thread pretty closely, for many years, and I literally cannot recall a single failure for UA Travelbank (not saying one hasn't occurred, but again, it's the exception, by far, not the rule). That is what should give you comfort.

Furthermore, why do people need "guinea pigs" for this particular credit? Presumably, if you are pursuing this then at some point you intend to buy a UA ticket (as that is literally the only thing TB works for), so even if the credit didn't post, at worst you've moved some money from one side of you ledger to the other (i.e. the eventual UA purchase), not exactly a huge risk.

Last year, United took Travelbank went down for a few weeks at the beginning of the year, but that has nothing to do with the credit posting properly.

Regards
SPN Lifer and friedablass like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:52 am

12/31 - purchased 2x $100 TB
1/6 - Credit posted
Counted towards my 2022 credit as well.
SPN Lifer, Statman, lax01 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by scubadu
Furthermore, why do people need "guinea pigs" for this particular credit?
Constant fear that Amex is going to start enforcing the terms as written.

Presumably, if you are pursuing this then at some point you intend to buy a UA ticket (as that is literally the only thing TB works for), so even if the credit didn't post, at worst you've moved some money from one side of you ledger to the other (i.e. the eventual UA purchase), not exactly a huge risk.
Some people might be wondering if they should change their airline to UA so they can make the purchase, and want to know if it's even worth doing.

Last year, United took Travelbank went down for a few weeks at the beginning of the year, but that has nothing to do with the credit posting properly.
That's the much bigger risk. One year, I was planning on using the credits in the intended manner and then filling in any unused credits toward the end of the year with TB purchases. But that year, UA took down the TB site in the middle of the year and if I didn't legitimately have to pay a change fee (remember those?) I would have been in trouble. So now, I always use up 100% of the credit on January 1.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
Constant fear that Amex is going to start enforcing the terms as written.
So wait until someone posts that they actually got the credit, that's what's important for us to know. Seeing multiple posts that people were able to buy TB isn't going to help anyone know if Amex starting enforcing the rules or not.

Some people might be wondering if they should change their airline to UA so they can make the purchase, and want to know if it's even worth doing.
Again, seeing confirmation that reimbursement happened will be what helps them decide if to do it or not. Seeing posts of purchases is unhelpful in making this decision

That's the much bigger risk. One year, I was planning on using the credits in the intended manner and then filling in any unused credits toward the end of the year with TB purchases. But that year, UA took down the TB site in the middle of the year and if I didn't legitimately have to pay a change fee (remember those?) I would have been in trouble. So now, I always use up 100% of the credit on January 1.
If TB goes down then that's an issue on UAs end and doesn't mean that Amex did or didn't stop issuing reimbursements for TB purchases. That's what this thread is about - purchases that get reimbursed for the $200 airline credit, not if you are able to buy TB or not. If you can't buy TB because it's down then that still doesn't mean it's not reimbursable, it just means that United stopped wanting to sell it at that time. If TB stops getting reimbursed by Amex for everyone then we know the loophole has closed. Thus far that hasn't happened yet.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:30 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by us1549
1/5 - Counter finally moved
1/6 - credit posted
The first positive 2023 report here?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
The first positive 2023 report here?
Yes it is. That's what we need. Positive data points for receiving credit.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by friedablass
So wait until someone posts that they actually got the credit, that's what's important for us to know. Seeing multiple posts that people were able to buy TB isn't going to help anyone know if Amex starting enforcing the rules or not.

Again, seeing confirmation that reimbursement happened will be what helps them decide if to do it or not. Seeing posts of purchases is unhelpful in making this decision
The amusing thing is that a lot of people post questions about this at the beginning of the year. I don't see any real reason (other than coincidence) why Amex would change how their systems process this stuff just because the calendar year changed. If anything, I think they'd be less likely to do it at this time because no one wants to be called in to fix something that broke during the holiday break.

If TB goes down then that's an issue on UAs end and doesn't mean that Amex did or didn't stop issuing reimbursements for TB purchases. That's what this thread is about - purchases that get reimbursed for the $200 airline credit, not if you are able to buy TB or not.
No, this thread is a general thread for how to use credits if you've selected UA as your airline. If TB goes down, that's a big problem. And it's helpful for new people to know that in the past, it did go down in the middle of the year and stay down for the rest of the year, so I wouldn't view TB as a reliable way of using these credits. If you've got the opportunity to do it, like you do right now, then do it, ASAP. Don't wait.

If you can't buy TB because it's down then that still doesn't mean it's not reimbursable, it just means that United stopped wanting to sell it at that time.
If TB is down at EOY and you still have credit to burn, you are SOL. So it's better to just use up 100% of the credit ASAP.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:11 am

12/29 Applied, got instant number, selected UA
12/30 Bought 2x100 TB.
12/31 TB posted as 12/30
01/06 Credit posted, 2023 counter still at 0/200

Will purchase again
ZenFlyer, manbuckets and cclg22 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.