Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by cczzll
Can’t update my datapoints in the old thread.

12/25 - $200 purchased
12/29 - AMEX website said I used my credit for the year
12/30 - Credit posted
Thanks for this DP. I'm in a similar boat. My charge posted on 12/30, but I haven't received the credit yet. I'm hoping it will post by tomorrow.

Question - is there a risk to making TB purchases now for 2023? Ideally I'd like to have the 2022 credits post before making the 2023 purchase, but I'm always somewhat nervous that this avenue will dry up so would prefer to make the purchase sooner rather than later.

(Side note - I made UA and Dell purchases on 12/30. They all went pending on 12/30. The UA purchases posted with a 12/30 date but the dell purchase posted with 1/3. Bleh.)
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ritdur
Any idea if purchasing premier access would trigger the credit?
Originally Posted by ritdur
Has anyone tried and received credit in the past?
Maybe check the 2022 thread: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Also, welcome to FT!
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:23 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
The airline fee tracker is now gone on my benefits page…
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:41 am

jags86 these things periodically disappear and reappear without any explanation. The tracker is still visible on mine and reporting $0/$200 for the moment (I made a 1/1 purchase)
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:45 am

Jan 5, 2022 Purchased the following
$100 TB Cash on Platinum
$50 TB Cash on Platinum
$50 TB Cash on Platinum

Pending charge showing up as UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETING. This appears different from what others had seen as their pending charge. I will update when credited.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by friedablass
I personally think everyone should wait to post their data point when the credits (hopefully) come in. We all know that the ability to purchase UA TB is alive and well, no confirmation needed for that. Now we need to see if the credits will come through as they did in past years.
I completely agree. These threads are just ridiculously inefficient and wasteful. The majority seem to follow this pattern:
  • Post #1 - I'm about to make the TB purchase, I'll post here once I do
  • Post #2 - I just made the purchase 10 minutes ago, but the meter has not moved and I don't see the credit yet
  • Post #3 - Oh my god, my statement now shows, "UNITED AIRLINES..." do you think I'll get the credit?!
  • Post #4 - It's been 48 hours, the meter still hasn't moved and I haven't received the credit. Should I contact Amex?
  • Post #5 - It's been 54 hours, the meter still hasn't moved and I haven't received the credit. I really think I should contact Amex...
  • Post #6 - Oh my god, the meter has moved! Does that mean I'll get the credit?!
  • Post #7 - I'll post once I see the credit
  • Post #8 - Whew... the credit has posted.
  • Post #9 - Do you think this will work again next year?
Here is the deal. In all the years I've been following this thread (and using TB) I really can't recall a failure of this credit to post when people follow the well documented guidelines in this thread (I'm not saying it's never failed, but it's probably only been a handful of times over the years, failure is the exception, not the rule),

I wish this thread would adopt a standardized posting format where people just post once, when the process is complete. After you get the credits, create one post with the requisite dates and move on. If after say two or three weeks the credit hasn't posted, then by all means create a post if you have a question, but I suspect that would be the exception, not the norm and would reduce wasteful "noise" dramatically. Almost everyone else will see the credit if they just exercise some patience.

We don't really need a constant stream of posts where people tell everyone else what they are going to do, what the just did, etc.

A certain someone may claim this isn't possible, but there is certainly precedence in several FT forums where threads have a standardized posting format that must generally be adhered to when posting in the thread. It can be done if there is a will.

Regards
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by erikasuncion
Pending charge showing up as UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETING. This appears different from what others had seen as their pending charge.
Not different: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...onic-ticketing
SPN Lifer, brc01 and Sloflyer032 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
I completely agree. These threads are just ridiculously inefficient and wasteful. The majority seem to follow this pattern:
  • Post #1 - I'm about to make the TB purchase, I'll post here once I do
  • Post #2 - I just made the purchase 10 minutes ago, but the meter has not moved and I don't see the credit yet
  • Post #3 - Oh my god, my statement now shows, "UNITED AIRLINES..." do you think I'll get the credit?!
  • Post #4 - It's been 48 hours, the meter still hasn't moved and I haven't received the credit. Should I contact Amex?
  • Post #5 - It's been 54 hours, the meter still hasn't moved and I haven't received the credit. I really think I should contact Amex...
  • Post #6 - Oh my god, the meter has moved! Does that mean I'll get the credit?!
  • Post #7 - I'll post once I see the credit
  • Post #8 - Whew... the credit has posted.
  • Post #9 - Do you think this will work again next year?
Here is the deal. In all the years I've been following this thread (and using TB) I really can't recall a failure of this credit to post when people follow the well documented guidelines in this thread (I'm not saying it's never failed, but it's probably only been a handful of times over the years, failure is the exception, not the rule),

I wish this thread would adopt a standardized posting format where people just post once, when the process is complete. After you get the credits, create one post with the requisite dates and move on. If after say two or three weeks the credit hasn't posted, then by all means create a post if you have a question, but I suspect that would be the exception, not the norm and would reduce wasteful "noise" dramatically. Almost everyone else will see the credit if they just exercise some patience.

We don't really need a constant stream of posts where people tell everyone else what they are going to do, what the just did, etc.

A certain someone may claim this isn't possible, but there is certainly precedence in several FT forums where threads have a standardized posting format that must generally be adhered to when posting in the thread. It can be done if there is a will.

Regards
Having lurked on these forums for many years, there are certain data points that people are interested in:
1. The amount of the transaction
2. The type of transaction
3. How the transaction shows on the account
4. The duration in time for the credit to appear

I think one post with details after the transaction is made and a followup post when the credit appears provide important data points, especially at the start of a new year. I do agree that the constant updates and inquiries can be a nuisance, and they should be limited.
seawolf and Boraxo like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by scubadu

I’d take it even further: if someone else just posted a data point the same day (and assuming it’s not old data because they didn’t find the time to post it), me posting my presumably identical experience isn’t really going to add any value.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
+1

Posts in other data point threads such as Trusted Traveler approval/Passport/Points transfer are pretty much after the fact.

The add value is not a post indicating you made a charge today; it is the post when you indicate reimbursement was made.

Last edited by seawolf; Jan 5, 2023 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It is only for the first two weeks of the year, it will be over soon and we can safely unsubscribe until next year....
Old Jan 5, 2023, 10:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator observation

It appears that some users post in the thread simply to Subscribe. It is not necessary to post. To Subscribe without posting use: Thread Tools > Subscribe to this thread >

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/subs...tion&t=2106210
Old Jan 5, 2023, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
+1

Posts in other data point threads such as Trusted Traveler approval/Passport/Points transfer are pretty much after the fact.

The add value is not a post indicating you made a charge today; it is the post when you indicate reimbursement was made.
Valid point, but I would argue that the charge posts let me know that there are some guinea pigs waiting for the reimbursement and gives me some comfort. Otherwise, the whole thread would be silent for few weeks and I would have no idea what is happening in this world.
driptoohard likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12

(Side note - I made UA and Dell purchases on 12/30. They all went pending on 12/30. The UA purchases posted with a 12/30 date but the dell purchase posted with 1/3. Bleh.)
Sorry to hear about your Dell credits. From past experience Dell seems to charge after the item ships and the initial charge was a temp transaction. I had some Dell Reward credits expiring on 12/31 but already used the 2022 credits so hoping the 1/3 charge for me will get the 2023 credits, but I'll find out soon, I guess. Will do the TB charge after confirmation from the folks here.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by pickle_flyer
Valid point, but I would argue that the charge posts let me know that there are some guinea pigs waiting for the reimbursement and gives me some comfort. Otherwise, the whole thread would be silent for few weeks and I would have no idea what is happening in this world.
A few of these posts at the beginning of the year is one thing but there are now about two dozen of these 'made a charge' posts after Polytonic's first post about being the guinea pig. It makes it harder to find the actual DPs when credits do start posting as there's always a lot of hysteria-type posts to sift through in this thread about not selecting the airline before purchase or selecting same day, pending charge is different, meter hasn't moved, it's been x days and no credit, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.