Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:06 pm

I need to cancel my card before Jan 15. I tried both the website and app and it won't let me change the selected airline from last year. Should I wait for a couple days for the website to be updated or should I using the chat to have my selected airline change to UA? Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
2x$100 UA TB purchases today. Will update when the meter moves.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 3:15 pm

Quoting my own message from the 2022 thread:

Starting to get a little worried. I've done a ton of TB purchases on various personal and business plats over the last few years. Got a new biz plat in december and picked United.

After picking, did $100 x 2 TB purchases on 12/20
Charges are cleared and posted
No Amex reimbursement yet as of today 12/30
Progress meter also showing 0/200

10 days is starting to get a bit long for how much time it usually takes the reimbursements to show up. Are we thinking it's taking longer because it's EOY? Or has something changed?

For what it's worth, I made a wireless telephone service payment on 12/20 as well (after having enrolled) and that has not been reimbursed $10 either yet.

Anyone else running into this?
2 days later (and now 11 or 12 since 12/20) My Dell, Wireless, and Airline (United) are all taking longer to show up than I've ever seen them take. In the case of the airline, I selected United and charged $100x2 same day, which I've done in the past without issue, and it's now been 11+ days with no credit.

Considering I'm seeing people have charged days after I did and already received their credits, it's looking like I might be in trouble? Tried chatting (particulary to ask about the dell and wireless credits) and they said the Dell credited today, even though I don't see that on my Recent Transactions. So I guess it's possible the other ones are coming late too, but seems unlikely
Old Jan 1, 2023, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by burnedpixel
...they said the Dell credited today, even though I don't see that on my Recent Transactions...
Credits show the following day, at which point they are backdated to the previous day.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:16 pm

If you book a non-refundable fare using travel bank, does the entire fare get refunded back to the travel bank?
Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
For Nonrefundable? It'll go to a FFC (assuming it is int'l originating U.S., or wholly within U.S., not BE, etc..)

Refundable fare, I've had it go back to Travel Bank.
flyerjc23 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:49 pm

Personal Platinum I'll be closing by Jan 17:
2x$100 charged 1/1/23
Will update when credited.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerjc23
If you book a non-refundable fare using travel bank, does the entire fare get refunded back to the travel bank?
Originally Posted by jimmielin
For Nonrefundable? It'll go to a FFC (assuming it is int'l originating U.S., or wholly within U.S., not BE, etc..)

This behavior is actually very valuable because travel bank can be used only on UA metal, while FFCs can be used on partner metal.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by jimmielin

Before the pandemic I had booked a trip on United metal using Travelbank funds and canceled within 24 hrs. My refund was processed as a Flight credit. This was the only time this had happened. I had done the same thing a few times before (not for any nefarious reasons) and they had refunded them back to the Travelbank (and that helped me by pushing the expiration date out, since then, unlike now, there was only one expiration date for the entire balance.)

I looked at the fine print and it says on account of refunds if paid by credit, cash, check etc. fare will be refunded to the original form of payment while other forms of payment will be issued flight credit. I believe Travel bank should rightfully be refunded as a flight credit.
Statman likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 9:29 pm

Quick question about last year's credit, if I purchased 2x $100 UA Travel bank on the 27th and posted the 28th, if I get the credit reimbursement, will the credit received still be considered last years? Or will I not get it since 2022 is over?
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
Everything posted in 2022 will be count towards 2022 benefits. This should not be worried.
You will see the reimbursement in the statement later, which should be posted in a 2022 date as well.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Got 2X $100 travelbank / $200 Dell and $10 cell on one of my Biz Platinum.

Lets see how long it takes for the credits to show.
did you forget Clear and TSA credits?
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by flyerjc23
I recently had a similar experience, discussed on the dedicated UA TB thread.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by st0ne
did you forget Clear and TSA credits?
Those are already covered by other cards - needed to use the annual benefits before the retention call / inside 30 days after the AF posted
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
2x 100 TravelBank purchases today, 1/2. Will update when the Airline Fee Credit is reflected on my Platinum Card.

EDIT: Amex credit on 1/7.

Last edited by johnathome; Jan 9, 2023 at 5:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.