Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA "Travel Bank" Q&A , with new option -- deposit funds and get a bonus

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 25, 21, 6:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
The United Travel Bank has been around for many years. UA had a program where purchasing a ticket on united.com would receive a $5 Travel Bank bonus. This was called united.com Club and had an annual $25 subscription fee. This ended in early 2020. But funds are still accessible for 18 months after earning.
Also at one time the Travel Bank had a Gift Registry pre-2018.
For more on those prior Travel Bank Programs, see "TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Then for a period of time, Chase / UA offered a 1.5% cash-back Travel Bank credit card where the cash-back went into the Travel Bank, that ended Sept 2020
Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

*NEW* In July 2020, the Travel Bank was recasted as a cash pre-funding option that might have a short term bonus offering -- cash or miles or both.
Additionally it might be used for bank credit card travel reimbursement funds (no longer for some --such as AMEX )

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

What can I use Travel Bank funds for?
1. Only for an all UA operated itineraries
2. Only for airfare, not for post purchase E+ access or upgrades, not for award fees & taxes, not for subscriptions, not for in-flight purchases, ....

Do Travel Bank funds expire?
They could per T&Cs
- Older methods for funding -- united.com, travel bank card cash back .... have 18 month expiration from last deposit
- New cash funds have a 5 years expiration from deposit
- Bonus from cash deposit -- depends on promo T&Cs but recent terms have been 4 months

Where can I see my Travel Bank balance / expiration?
Look in your My Account section and click on Details. https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank

Where can I add funds?
https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Do I get PQP credit for flight purchases with Travel Bank funds?
Yes, UA treats the Travel Bank funds just like a cash purchase

What if I refund a ticket purchased with Travel Bank funds?
With a refund, the funds go back to original form of purchase, so the Travel Bank portion of the funds go back to the Travel Bank. (insufficient data to know if that is with the original expiration date or a new date)

Can you use Travel Bank funds in conjunction with a Credit Card and/or ETCs?
Yes, you can select to pay in whole or in part with Travel Bank funds and then the remainder, if any, with the other forms of payment. There have been mixed reports about ETCs -- YMMV

Can you "deposit" your ETCs (or FFCs) into your Travel Bank?
No

Can I use the Travel Bank funds to purchase a ticket to someone else?
Yes,, but you have to be the purchaser

Can I transfer Travel Bank funds to someone else?
No

Can I cash out my Travel Bank funds?
No

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 30, 20, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

Recevied an email today from MileagePlus advertising the United TravelBank again. It was being marketed as a way to budget future travel and by adding funds you will receive a 10% bonus. The deal may be worthwhile if you are traveling soon, but funds that are matched are deposited with 90 days and then those bonus funds are only valid for 120 days. The funds deposited by you are good for 5 years. . .

Interesting concept and way to get some short term cash flow if there are takers.
Old Jul 30, 20, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Micp3208 View Post
Recevied an email today from MileagePlus advertising the United TravelBank again. It was being marketed as a way to budget future travel and by adding funds you will receive a 10% bonus. The deal may be worthwhile if you are traveling soon, but funds that are matched are deposited with 90 days and then those bonus funds are only valid for 120 days. The funds deposited by you are good for 5 years. . .

Interesting concept and way to get some short term cash flow if there are takers.
This is very interesting. I have not (yet) received this email, and I'm not aware of any way to add funds to my TravelBank. Hmmm
Old Jul 30, 20, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag View Post
This is very interesting. I have not (yet) received this email, and I'm not aware of any way to add funds to my TravelBank. Hmmm
This is the email link:
https://www.united.com/offers/travel...0&icid=7424127

There are six denominations you can choose from, $50 to $1,000.
Old Jul 30, 20, 2:45 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC
Glad I got the invitation to Join TravelBank, or is it the NEW TravelBank, as I missed the email a year ago about the end of the program and would have let $425 expire in 3 months had I not checked to see my balance.
Old Jul 30, 20, 3:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
The Travel Bank never when away. The $5 bonus per reservation from the United.com Club program and the Gift Registry method for submitting funds have gone away.
The Travel Bank credit card 1.5% credit still works and looks like there is now a new program for depositing funds
Old Jul 30, 20, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Nw that it seems TravelBank purchases may be back I guess it's time to see whether it will still trigger Amex Platinum airline credit...
Old Jul 30, 20, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The Travel Bank never when away. The $5 bonus per reservation from the United.com Club program and the Gift Registry method for submitting funds have gone away.
The Travel Bank credit card 1.5% credit still works and looks like there is now a new program for depositing funds
correct.

Iíve had this card since a few months after it was introduced, and always get the 1.5% TB cash deposited. The card is way less valuable than it once was - up until last year, or whenever it was that they did that devaluation from PQD to PQP, I used it to hit PQD waiver for my purchases that didnít get bonuses on my MP select (or for the discount on in-flight purchases). Now that spend doesnít even work to reduce PQP on that card, I rarely use it any more, much better to use Freedom Unlimited or other cards with bonus categories on those.

I didnít get an invite yet to add funds with a bonus - but probably wouldnít use that option right now - Iíll wait until I actually can envision wanting to travel for fun again. But love the TB for its flexibility - it has its issues, but one benefit, unlike with ETCs, is that you can choose the amount you want to use - for me, that means I can choose to use a few dollars less than the total trip cost, and then put the rest on my CSR, which give me the trip protection benefits of the card.
Old Jul 30, 20, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
.... But love the TB for its flexibility - it has its issues, but one benefit, unlike with ETCs, is that you can choose the amount you want to use - for me, that means I can choose to use a few dollars less than the total trip cost, and then put the rest on my CSR, which give me the trip protection benefits of the card.
And TB funds can be used for partner flights! What would be great would be depositing ETCs in the TB and consolidate the two programs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 20 at 1:11 pm Reason: mispoken
Old Jul 31, 20, 9:47 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Is there any way to add more funds without the bonus after you take advantage of this offer?
Old Jul 31, 20, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I tried the offer link above and am prompted to log in. nce I enter my credentials my browser either displays a white screen or an error ... I tried using two different browsers. <sigh>
Old Jul 31, 20, 10:26 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
FWIW, I tried the offer link above and am prompted to log in. nce I enter my credentials my browser either displays a white screen or an error ... I tried using two different browsers. <sigh>
Try F5 a couple times after signing in?
Old Jul 31, 20, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Try F5 a couple times after signing in?
What is "F5" supposed to d? My keyboard has no such key (Macbook). I did try to reload (and shift-reload to force it) the page - with no success... then I tried Safari (I'd tried Firefox & Chrome earlier) and I was prompted to authenticate my account and then I saw the offer!
Old Jul 31, 20, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by mkasperzak View Post
Glad I got the invitation to Join TravelBank, or is it the NEW TravelBank, as I missed the email a year ago about the end of the program and would have let $425 expire in 3 months had I not checked to see my balance.
I'm glad you brought that up. This really has me curious because when I sign in it says that my TravelBank account balance is $0 (it's not). So I wonder if they'd have two separate accounts running.

SAP
Old Jul 31, 20, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, my charge today posted as "UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETNG" so I'm dubtful that it will trigger the Platinum card fee rebate (it used to). I'll post again if it does.
Old Jul 31, 20, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag View Post
I'm glad you brought that up. This really has me curious because when I sign in it says that my TravelBank account balance is $0 (it's not). So I wonder if they'd have two separate accounts running.

SAP
It's just not synced up, but when you fund it, it gets added to your regular TB balance.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: