Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by rotorhead7700
3rd year, hopefully goes as smoothly as years 1 and 2:

2x Platinum (2x$200)
2x Hilton Aspire (2x$250)
1x Business Platinum ($200)

UPDATE:
Charged: 1/4/2023
Counter: 1/9/2023
Credited: 1/10/2023
God bless travelbank. DP updated
Flying Machine and levilevi like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 1:17 pm

International trip coming up booked through United but flying Turkish and Lufthansa. Will the credit be applied with baggage fees paid or because not actually flying United, they will not be reimbursed?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jonathoneskel
International trip coming up booked through United but flying Turkish and Lufthansa. Will the credit be applied with baggage fees paid or because not actually flying United, they will not be reimbursed?
No because you are going to pay for the baggage to Turkish/Lufthansa.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
No because you are going to pay for the baggage to Turkish/Lufthansa.
That's what I thought. Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:05 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United MileagePlus, JetBlue TrueBlue, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Between P2 and me, we have two personal Plats and a Biz Plat.

Selected airline was United from 2021. Didn't change or re-select.

1/10: Bought $100 x 6 across all three cards

Will update if credits post.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:38 am

I've had issues in the past when making the purchase the same day as selecting the airline. Now I always wait until the next day to purchase and this seems to resolve the issue.

1/10/23 - Selected United as airline
1/11/23 - Purchased 2 x $100 plat
1/16/23 - Meter moved
1/17/23 - Credits posted dated 1/16

Will update when credit posts

Last edited by jbish95; Jan 16, 2023 at 4:54 pm Reason: Updating dates
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
We have a solid 20-30 data points of credit posting at this point, so we do not need any more for buying, or even for posting. Only abnormal data points maybe of interest.
Boraxo, scubadu, brc01 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nk15
We have a solid 20-30 data points of credit posting at this point, so we do not need any more for buying, or even for posting. Only abnormal data points maybe of interest.
This is like yelling in the wind. I've made the case several times in this thread that all this isn't necessary, but alas, nobody cares and every time someone gets a brand new card, they breathlessly rush to this thread don't review what's already been documented, and ask the same questions that have been asked and answered a million times...

Regards
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:15 am

1/2/23 Charged 1x$250 Hilton Aspire
1/2/23 Charged 2x$100 Platinum

1/10/23 Credited $250
1/10/23 Credited $100
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:46 am

I wonder what's wrong for me. Meter has still not moved since my 2x $100 TB purchases on 1/1 (Personal Platinum). I also did another $50 TB purchase last night (1/10), so will see if there's any change.

My 2x $100 TB charge details are:

UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TXSpecial Service Ticket

Flight from CHICAGO O'HARE INT on January 1
CHICAGO O'HARE INTCHICAGO O'HARE INT

I checked last year's TB charges and they show exactly the same, and those credited quickly.

My 6-monthly order of Aesop hand wash on 1/1 from Saks has already credited.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 10:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cpdc1030
I wonder what's wrong for me.
I think this is a symptom of batch processing. Your transaction wasn't picked up on the first pass, the system does not keep looking at that date for eligible transactions, it's looking at more recent dates. Periodically they seem to run a different process which looks retrospectively for missed transactions. This is why they build a variable timeframe into the terms. In any event you need to wait two weeks from the transaction posting date before customer service will even look at it.
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Personal Platinum
Charged 2x $100 TB on 1/6/23
Both credited on 1/11/23
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Personal Platinum
Both credited on 1/11/23
I have CS version. Bought On 1/6 too. Meter still hasn't moved yet. Will see.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Personal Platinum
Both credited on 1/11/23
I purchased the 1 X250 on my personal platinum on the sixth as well, no movement so far.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I purchased the 1 X250 on my personal platinum on the sixth as well, no movement so far.
The meter just moved ~ 8 PM EST. You will see it soon!
Flying Machine and nk15 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.