Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: friedablass
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING PRIOR TO POSTING REGARDING UA TB:

Metadiscussion: WHEN to report missing airline fee reimbursements?

Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline; it is generally viewed as prudent to wait a day before making a reimbursable purchase. It usually takes 5-10 to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There's a separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank, including important limitations on its use. As of Jan 3, 2022, and with ongoing success in 2023 as reported below, Travel Bank posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially), or United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

Gift Cards: United does not sell gift cards.

MileagePlus X App: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for OTHER EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2022 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2023, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by emcfly
11/11 - $100 Biz Platinum
Shows "Airline Selected" on the benefits page but doesn't say United (unlike the personal Platinum).
Checked with chat and they said it was United selected
Typed new card

11/15 - $100 Personal Platinum
Shows "Selected Airline:United Airlines" on benefits page
Stored card

11/18 - no meter/no credit post both cards
Amex Personal (also got 5x on the purchase)
11/15 $100 -> 11/23 reimbursed
11/17 $100 -> 11/27 reimbursed

Amex Biz Platinum (only 1x on purchase)
11/11 $100 -> 11/19 reimbursed
11/17 $100 -> 11/27 reimbursed
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Total_n00b
11/21 2x100 United TB

11/28 no meter movement no reimbursement

Amex platinum and United is my selected airline
Ditto except I only did $100 on 11/22. The app says to wait 6-8 weeks - seriously??!!

Will advance calendar by 1 week and re-check. From above it looks like the reimbursement system took a long holiday weekend lol
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
another data point, charged 100 on 11/18, was reimbursed 11/29. huzzah!
now I've just gotta remember to change to AA in January.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:24 am

11/21 2x100 United TB

11/28 no meter movement no reimbursement

Amex platinum and United is my selected airline
still nothing. When should I start getting nervous? 😅
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:52 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
When should I start getting nervous?
The post immediately before yours reports buying three days before you did, and reimbursement yesterday. This suggests you may be reimbursed by next Monday.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 7:22 am

Do I understand correctly that the name on the UA account needs to match the name on the card of payment, or the purchase wont go through with UA?

If my wife holds the AMEX PLAT then she can buy for her travel banknot my travel bank?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by dgilligan02
Do I understand correctly that the name on the UA account needs to match the name on the card of payment, or the purchase wont go through with UA?

If my wife holds the AMEX PLAT then she can buy for her travel banknot my travel bank?
Just received both of my $100 credits, bought on a family member's United account.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dgilligan02
Do I understand correctly that the name on the UA account needs to match the name on the card of payment, or the purchase won’t go through with UA?
N. Just like with any other purchase, all that is required is a valid credit card.
If my wife holds the AMEX PLAT then she can buy for her travel bank—not my travel bank?
She can buy for either/both.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The post immediately before yours reports buying three days before you did, and reimbursement yesterday. This suggests you may be reimbursed by next Monday.
update: meter moved this evening. Looks like it registered
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by maly149
Just received both of my $100 credits, bought on a family member's United account.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
N. Just like with any other purchase, all that is required is a valid credit card.
She can buy for either/both.
Thanks, appreciated!
Old Dec 1, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Me too. Purchased 21 Nov, Credited 30 Nov.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 10:12 am

I also purchased Nov 21, credited Nov 30.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Getting nervous now...charged 2x $100 yesterday. Charges are pending but unlike last year "United Special Services Ticket" charged to "United Airlines Houston" the charges pending show up as "United Electronic Ticketing" charged to "United Airlines".

Is this jig up?
Old Dec 1, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by rj123456
Getting nervous now...charged 2x $100 yesterday. Charges are pending but unlike last year "United Special Services Ticket" charged to "United Airlines Houston" the charges pending show up as "United Electronic Ticketing" charged to "United Airlines".

Is this jig up?
No, it's not up unless we have received several DPs of card holders not receiving reimbursement after a sufficient amount of time has passed. That hasn't happened yet and I suggest you wait about 10 days to see what happens with your charge.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 12:51 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rj123456
...."United Airlines Houston"....
This isn't new. I find reports as early as 2013. Ignore the Pending transaction, and wait about ten days from the date that it Posts.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.