Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Has the posting of the $200 slowed this year? Last year I felt like the money came back lickety-split, like in a day or two. Now I'm going on more than 2 weeks and annoyed that the statement may close on me.

(Same slowness, for me at least, with Amex Offers, if that is of any relevance.)
Showed up 3-4 days later, i.e., 2.5 weeks total.

Lots of other stuff that seemed "stuck" started clearing about same time (Amex Offers, monthly credits).

P2 booked a reservation a few days ago. The $200 credit posted day after the charge hit.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Apr 21, 2022 at 5:58 am Reason: More info
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I made two bookings using two different offers and cancelled both. A couple weeks later I received a charge from FHR.

Nov - Made FHR booking A with a $150 off offer. Received credit right away (Shows up as Amex Offer Credit)
Jan - Made FHR booking B. Received $200 credit right away (Shows up as Amex Hotel Credit)
Mar - Cancelled both bookings A and B
April - Had a charge of $75.12 from FHR (Shows up as Amex Hotel Credit)

The charge is a rather random amount. I called Amex and they told me it is most likely a charge for the $200 hotel credit, but they didn't sound very confident and couldn't answer why it was not $200. Is there a way to check how much of the $200 hotel credit I have remaining? I am able to see airline/equinox/digital subscription credit, but not the hotel credit.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:51 pm

The Conrad Washington DC allowed two consecutive FHR bookings with both $100 credits.
IndyHoosier and DasApache47 like this.

Last edited by flytoeat; Apr 21, 2022 at 10:07 pm
Old May 1, 2022, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
No. I have gotten $193 credit where that was the full cost of the booking (NH Quito part of hotel collection)
Apologies for dragging this up, but what did the NH Collection Quito Royal offer with the $100 credit? Looking to do 2 nights there in September and wondering what they offered. Any chance if you know whether the airport shuttle was included?
Old May 2, 2022, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Apologies for dragging this up, but what did the NH Collection Quito Royal offer with the $100 credit? Looking to do 2 nights there in September and wondering what they offered. Any chance if you know whether the airport shuttle was included?
You can use the $100 credit for dinner or breakfast at the onsite restaurant (for some reason they didn't include the breakfast for free which i found strange because i thought fhr covered breakfast for free but i didn't push the issue, just used the credit for breakfast). The restaurant prices are low enough that you can comfortable have an appetizer/main/dessert/drinks for two and still struggle to cover $100 (although we are vegetarian, maybe the meat/fish based mains were priced a little higher). We did not make use of their shuttle so don't know about that.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
You can use the $100 credit for dinner or breakfast at the onsite restaurant (for some reason they didn't include the breakfast for free which i found strange because i thought fhr covered breakfast for free but i didn't push the issue, just used the credit for breakfast). The restaurant prices are low enough that you can comfortable have an appetizer/main/dessert/drinks for two and still struggle to cover $100 (although we are vegetarian, maybe the meat/fish based mains were priced a little higher). We did not make use of their shuttle so don't know about that.
Thanks! I can answer the FHR part - the hotel is part of Amex Hotel Collection and not FHR. Main differences (beyond FHR hotels usually being all 5* hotels vs many 3.5-4.5* like this NH one for HC) are that FHR offers noon check-in if available, guaranteed 4pm checkout, free wifi, and free breakfast on top of the $100 credit and space-available upgrade that come with both options.
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 5:17 pm

Booked a FHR on April 19 credit posted on April 21
Booked the same FHR on April 19 with another card credit posted on April 30
I am wondering if I l will be getting multiple $100 credits? for those who did check in before do you have to mention the benefit during check-in or it is already attached in your reservation and they are aware of it. I am asking especially for hotels outside the US.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by flyertalkuser2016
Booked a FHR on April 19 credit posted on April 21
Booked the same FHR on April 19 with another card credit posted on April 30
I am wondering if I l will be getting multiple $100 credits? for those who did check in before do you have to mention the benefit during check-in or it is already attached in your reservation and they are aware of it. I am asking especially for hotels outside the US.
If you booked two rooms with two different cards my guess is you should be getting the same $100 credit for each room.
Old May 24, 2022, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone had issues with the first name being different than the card? Im using this credit (same last name), but will be checking in first and don't want to have to sit and wait for him to arrive.
Old May 24, 2022, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Has anyone had issues with the first name being different than the card? Im using this credit (same last name), but will be checking in first and don't want to have to sit and wait for him to arrive.
When I check in, I give them the exact name that's on the reservation, or hand them a printed form with the res. number. If the first name on the ID is different, it has never been an issue.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedEF
Has anyone try to book consecutive FHR 1 day stays with 2 different AMEX plat cards to see if you can get credits on both days? I have both AMEX business plat and Schwab Plat any info would be appreciated.
does the amex business plat get the $200 hotel credit?
Old May 24, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by firebrick
does the amex business plat get the $200 hotel credit?
No
Old May 25, 2022, 10:17 am

That would be great. The terms in the benift page mentions
Benefits are applied per room, per stay (with a three-room limit per stay); back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at the same property are considered one stay.
So not that clear if using multiple cards we would get multiple credits.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by flyertalkuser2016
So not that clear if using multiple cards we would get multiple credits.
I don't think that quote was intended to remove a benefit from a different card when an identical benefit was used. At least I can't think of a precedent for such interpretation.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:08 am

battle to get credit posted after cancel and rebook

I have been talking to multiple reps for more than 1 hour to try to get the credit posted after it failed to post again after a initial posting with a subsequent claw back, due to booking being rebooked for a lower price. One rep does not even know what $200 AMEX Travel credit I am referring to. It has been more than 90 days since the booking was done. So, I don't believe it will be posted automatically.

One rep even suggested that the claw back is a reversal of my 2021 credit. This is unbelievable..

From my experience, I get the best service from the Chase team as a RC card member.

Now, I am being transfer again......typing all this while I am on hold...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.