Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
This is a very long thread, but it's safe to say that if I make a booking for February 2022 before 11:59 PM CT tonight, I'll get the $200 credit?

I'll get my EQNs and elite benefits from Hyatt if I include my membership number?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That's disappointing since it says nothing about the actual card in the terms and conditions and could potentially leave someone without a room if they don't have that card in their possession. Many people don't travel together or on the same flights so this seems like a way for Amex to weasel out of paying for the room. If it's prepaid, I guess they would have to honor it, right?
The requirement for an actual card is likely limited to certain hotels (and their acquiring banks). The front desk said it’s because they can only do an authorization hold using a physical card and not with mobile wallet. I happened to have the card with me, but I assume if I pressed they could charge the security deposit and then do a negative one at check out.

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'll get my EQNs and elite benefits from Hyatt if I include my membership number?
Yes. You’ll get the nights and both FHR and World of Hyatt benefits.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Dec 31, 2021 at 10:35 pm
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by randomasian
I want to make sure that a hotel reservation I booked under FHR is indeed a prepaid rate that will qualify for the credit. I booked the hotel by selecting "Use Only Your Card" and the amount on the right side of the page under "Pay Today" was immediately put as a pending charge on my Platinum card. The cancellation policy says "Flexible Cancellation" up to 2 days before my check in date.

The reason I am confused is that I never saw anything anywhere on Amextravel that says "Pay Now" which is referenced in the terms and conditions of the credit:

To receive the statement credits, an eligible Card Member must make a new booking using their eligible Platinum Card through American Express Travel on or after July 1st, 2021, that is prepaid (referred to as "Pay Now" on amextravel and the Amex App), for a qualifying stay at an available, participating Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection property.
Did this work for you? That was all I saw as well.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is my first time using AMEX FHR, so please bear with me with the dumb questions.

The receipt that I got doesn't state that I'll get the $200 credit. Although, when making the reservation, the website says if I book a prepaid rate, I'll get the $200 credit. I completed the booking on December 31, 2021, at 11:57 PM CST. This is two minutes before AMEX's cutoff time. How do I know for sure after the fact that I'm getting the credit?

Is it just me, or that I'm being ripped off? I made a reservation at the JW Marriott in Vancouver, Canada. A quick search on Marriott's website shows C$284.93 after tax. AMEX FHR doesn't make it obvious which currency it was using. I thought it would follow Marriott's website and display CAD. After completing the reservation, I see a total of $287.32. I checked my AMEX account, and I was shocked to see it was in USD. There is a massive difference between CAD and USD. I'm also a Marriott Titanium, so I already get breakfast and late check-out. The only thing I see with AMEX FHR is the US$100 credit, which I'm assuming will be converted to CAD for use at the hotel? If it wasn't for the US$200 credit, I don't think I would even bother with AMEX FHR unless I'm missing something. So did I get ripped off?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:01 am

... So did I get ripped off?
If you wanted to stay in this exact hotel regardless and the $200 credit reduced your total expense, then you will have received a slight benefit from this program. Without the credit FHR and THC will most likely not benefit travelers, except for occasional deals like the 3d night free, etc.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
If you wanted to stay in this exact hotel regardless and the $200 credit reduced your total expense, then you will have received a slight benefit from this program. Without the credit FHR and THC will most likely not benefit travelers, except for occasional deals like the 3d night free, etc.
Not really. Since I totally forgot about the credit, I didn't have time to really research where to best use AMEX FHR. I just know that I'll be in Vancouver at a specific time, so I decided to make the reservation since I can't cancel without AMEX clawing back the $200. Given how massively inflated AMEX FHR is compared to Marriott, that $200 really does make a difference as I'm paying only US$87.32 out of pocket. I guess it also doesn't hurt that I'll get US$100 to use at the property. Still, I'm not saving as much money as I had hoped. I guess I'll call it even if Marriott upgrades me to a suite. I have stayed at the JW Marriott in Vancouver, Canada before.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I booked a THC stay for June 1 and 2, 2022 late in December, and I'm expecting the $200 credit for 2021to post at some point.

If I now book another 2 night stay at the same hotel starting June 3rd, may I expect to receive the $200 credit for 2022?

I'm not expecting to double dip on the $100 property credit, given these are consecutive stays. I'm really just interested in the 2 $200 statement credits.

Edited to add that I can book the second reservation in my wife's name and use her AU Plat card to pay for it, if that would give us a second $100 property credit.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited by work2fly; Jan 1, 2022 at 10:50 am
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by work2fly
I booked a THC stay for June 1 and 2, 2022 late in December, and I'm expecting the $200 credit for 2021to post at some point.

If I now book another 2 night stay at the same hotel starting June 3rd, may I expect to receive the $200 credit for 2022?
Yes!
DasApache47 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:04 pm

2 Rooms, 1 Night

Does a two room booking on the same night qualify for 2 $100 resort credits? They would both be under my name and I would be staying in 1 of the rooms.

Or should I add AUs and book under their name?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DasApache47
Or should I add AUs and book under their name?
The name on the reservation must match the name on the CC. If you only have one $200 credit, it will likely be used up on the first booking. Otherwise the leftover credit will be applied to the 2nd qualifying booking.
lsquare and DasApache47 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
The name on the reservation must match the name on the CC. If you only have one $200 credit, it will likely be used up on the first booking. Otherwise the leftover credit will be applied to the 2nd qualifying booking.
Oh I'm sorry for the phrasing. I have 2 Platinum cards with 2 $200 FHR & HC credits. I was wondering if the property $100 credit would be applied to both rooms. Thank you for your reply, I too think adding an AU would be the safest way to go.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DasApache47
....property $100 credit would be applied to both rooms.
YES

The Hotel Collection
The Hotel Collection benefits are available for new bookings of two consecutive nights or more made through American Express Travel with participating properties and are valid only for eligible U.S. Consumer and Business Gold Card, Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members (Delta SkyMiles® Gold and Platinum Card Members are not eligible). Bookings must be made using an eligible Card and must be paid using that Card, or another American Express® Card, in the eligible Card Member's name, and that Card Member must be traveling on the itinerary booked. Room upgrade is subject to availability and is provided at check-in; certain room categories are not eligible for upgrade. The type of experience credit varies by property; the experience credit will be applied to eligible charges up to $100. Advance reservations are recommended for certain experience credits. Benefit restrictions vary by property. Benefits are applied per room, per stay (with a three-room limit per stay); back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at the same property are considered one stay. Benefits cannot be redeemed for cash and are not combinable with other offers unless indicated. Benefits must be used during the stay booked. Any credits applicable are applied at check-out in USD or the local currency equivalent. Benefits, participating properties, and availability and amenities at those properties are subject to change.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is my first time using AMEX FHR, so please bear with me with the dumb questions.

The receipt that I got doesn't state that I'll get the $200 credit. Although, when making the reservation, the website says if I book a prepaid rate, I'll get the $200 credit. I completed the booking on December 31, 2021, at 11:57 PM CST. This is two minutes before AMEX's cutoff time. How do I know for sure after the fact that I'm getting the credit?

Is it just me, or that I'm being ripped off? I made a reservation at the JW Marriott in Vancouver, Canada. A quick search on Marriott's website shows C$284.93 after tax. AMEX FHR doesn't make it obvious which currency it was using. I thought it would follow Marriott's website and display CAD. After completing the reservation, I see a total of $287.32. I checked my AMEX account, and I was shocked to see it was in USD. There is a massive difference between CAD and USD. I'm also a Marriott Titanium, so I already get breakfast and late check-out. The only thing I see with AMEX FHR is the US$100 credit, which I'm assuming will be converted to CAD for use at the hotel? If it wasn't for the US$200 credit, I don't think I would even bother with AMEX FHR unless I'm missing something. So did I get ripped off?
I just checked my AMEX account, and the transaction was posted on January 1, 2022. It sounds like I might have to fight AMEX for the 2021 credit?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:47 am

I just checked my AMEX account, and the transaction was posted on January 1, 2022. It sounds like I might have to fight AMEX for the 2021 credit?
You shouldn't have to fight it as the terms say:
Eligible bookings must be made before December 31st, 11:59PM Central Time, each calendar year to be eligible for statement credits within that year.
lsquare and milesforhire like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
You will find out when you try to use the credit again for 2022 if you'll need to fight them or not. Keep us posted!
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.