Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
....could potentially leave someone without a room if they don't have that card in their possession.....
I think not. It could leave someone without the FHR or THC benefits, but not without a prepaid room. You asked about this back is September. If you still think that American Express is in the business of swindling people out of prepaid nights, even though we have no reports of such, why do you continue to have an American Express card? I wouldn't do business with a company that I distrusted to that degree.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Another benefit that is (purposefully) a pain to capitalize on. I'm looking at making a speculative booking today but the rates aren't that competitive imo and my travel plans are completely fluid for next year. I'm leaning towards going the Biz route after the new year.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
It is a somewhat difficult benefit to use, I agree, unless you like staying at these hotels anyways. In which case, you can either get lucky, or book one or two nights with this to use the credit, and the rest through their normal channels for booking direct from the hotel.

It still is easier to use than the airline credit.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:16 pm
mia

How is the benefit "difficult" to redeem? This is Amex Travel (Expedia) offering us a discount to try their service. If it doesn't work for you, ignore it. I did.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:24 pm

I'm seeing some language on the Amex website which sort of implies the credit has been extended to June 30:
"Now through June 30, 2022, book a prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection stay or book eligible travel through American Express Travel with your eligible Platinum Card. You will receive your statement credits after booking. Receive up to $200 in statement credits for prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection bookings and an additional $200 in statement credits for eligible travel made with your eligible Platinum Card. No enrollment required."

Is anybody else seeing this? It seems weird to phrase it this way if only the travel credit is being extended since the 2022 FHR/THC credit should be good for the entire year.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cfabar1
It is a somewhat difficult benefit to use, I agree, unless you like staying at these hotels anyways. In which case, you can either get lucky, or book one or two nights with this to use the credit, and the rest through their normal channels for booking direct from the hotel.

I didn't have much of a need for a hotel to use this credit, but I think I found a last minute way to make it work out for me as a meal ticket with a place to possibly swim or otherwise workout.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1

I find the opposite - airline credit is easier to use for me than this credit which I didn't end up using at all.

Originally Posted by mia
If it doesn't work for you, ignore it. I did.
Yup, exactly what I did too and I didn't care/ mind at all.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by time_stamp
...Now through June 30, 2022, book a prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection stay ...
I wasn't aware that this benefit is only temporary! AmEx talking points include it to justify the higher AF, which sure is not temporary.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 4:56 pm
mia

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I wasn't aware that this benefit is only temporary!
I don't think it is. The terms have a start date, but no end date, and mention "each calendar year".

$200 Hotel Credit
U.S. Consumer Basic and Additional Platinum Card® Members may receive up to a total of $200 in statement credits each calendar year, across all Cards on the Account, when using their eligible Platinum Card on eligible, prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® and The Hotel Collection bookings made through American Express Travel (meaning through amextravel.com, the Amex® App, or by calling the phone number on the back of your eligible Platinum Card). Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Card Members are not eligible for the benefit. To receive the statement credits, an eligible Card Member must make a new booking using their eligible Platinum Card through American Express Travel on or after July 1st, 2021, that is prepaid (referred to as "Pay Now" on amextravel.com and the Amex App), for a qualifying stay at an available, participating Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection property. Bookings of The Hotel Collection require a minimum stay of two consecutive nights. Eligible bookings must be made before December 31st, 11:59PM Central Time, each calendar year to be eligible for statement credits within that year. Statement credits may not be received or may be reversed if the booking is cancelled or modified. Eligible bookings do not include interest charges, cancellation fees, property fees or other similar fees, or any charges by a property to you (whether for your booking, your stay or otherwise). Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible charge is posted to your Account for the applicable statement credits to be posted to your Account. Call the number on the back of your eligible Platinum Card if statement credits have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible, you will not receive the statement credits. For example, your transaction will not be eligible if it is a booking: (i) made with a property not included in the Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection programs, (ii) not made through American Express Travel, or (iii) not made with an eligible Platinum Card. Participating properties and their availability are subject to change. If American Express, in its sole discretion, determines that you have engaged in or intend to engage in any manner of abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with this benefit, American Express will not have an obligation to provide and may reverse any statement credits provided to you. Please refer to AmericanExpress.com/FHR and AmericanExpress.com/HC for more information about Fine Hotels + Resorts and The Hotel Collection, respectively.
The text quoted by time_stamp appears to say that there is a period of overlap between two benefits, ending 6.30.2022..
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by time_stamp
I'm seeing some language on the Amex website which sort of implies the credit has been extended to June 30:
"Now through June 30, 2022, book a prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection stay or book eligible travel through American Express Travel with your eligible Platinum Card. You will receive your statement credits after booking. Receive up to $200 in statement credits for prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection bookings and an additional $200 in statement credits for eligible travel made with your eligible Platinum Card. No enrollment required."

Is anybody else seeing this? It seems weird to phrase it this way if only the travel credit is being extended since the 2022 FHR/THC credit should be good for the entire year.
"an additional $200 in statement credits for eligible travel made with your eligible Platinum Card" -> is this one a targeted offer?
MaxVO likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:11 pm
mia

The $200 travel credit is a targeted offer which started in 2020: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...31-2021-a.html

The $200 hotel credit is a new feature of the personal Platinum card, starting in 2021.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The $200 travel credit is a targeted offer which started in 2020: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...31-2021-a.html

The $200 hotel credit is a new feature of the personal Platinum card, starting in 2021.
Thanks. what you said in first sentence make sense now. i think that was covid-related , and amex gave it out to all platinum card holders right after their anniversary (if their anniversary falls within certain months).
and many people have used it up long ago on flight ticket booked using AmexTravel

i thought there was another round of new $200 random credit offers after that. but doesnt sound like it.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The $200 travel credit is a targeted offer which started in 2020: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...31-2021-a.html...
Oh that's right. That was so long ago, I forgot that it's still valid.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I find the hotel credit the easiest to use among the new ones - it is a straight $200 discount on an already valuable service. If you didn’t find the service valuable pre credit, just ignore it, like many do for the Equinox credit.

As we hit 1/1 soon, the strategy is to book your first hotel booking of the year using FHR…
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My Mom (Plat card holder) wasn't going to use or have any plan for the 2021 credit, so I used my AU card on her account to book the WA Versailles for my trip in January. Should trigger the credit since its a card on her account, and I was able to book the FHR since I'm a Plat card holder on my own account. Anyway ought to be $50 post credit for one night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.