Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:19 pm

I understand that cancelling an FHR or THC booking will result in a clawback of the $200 credit. Does anyone know what happens when one has cancelled the platinum card since being issued the credit?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by persoid
I understand that cancelling an FHR or THC booking will result in a clawback of the $200 credit. Does anyone know what happens when one has cancelled the platinum card since being issued the credit?
I assume this is a prepaid stay? If the card is already cancelled, I would probably avoid cancelling a prepaid stay
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by persoid
You should still receive a credit and clawback to the closed account. The net amount will be paid by a check or billed to you (whichever the case may be).
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:14 pm

So I booked my FHR hotel in 2021 but I would like to modify my reservation, does anyone know if one can modify the reservation and it will still be the 2021 credit?
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by achang255
So I booked my FHR hotel in 2021 but I would like to modify my reservation, does anyone know if one can modify the reservation and it will still be the 2021 credit?
Unfortunately there is no easy way to do this
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Does this work for one-night stays?
We booked the US Grant for 1 night.

$325 + $52 parking = $377-$200FHR credit-$100 free food in lounge -$68 in room service breakfast.

Total out of pocket cost. $9.
renila likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Need four rooms

Does anyone know whether there it is possible to get credits applied to each room of a four room THC stay?

Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:26 pm

Does anyone know whether there it is possible to get credits applied to each room of a four room THC stay?
Do you have 4 Plat cards with this benefit? If so, you can create 4 "trips" and charge each to a separate card.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Do you have 4 Plat cards with this benefit? If so, you can create 4 "trips" and charge each to a separate card.
Sorry, my mistake for posting this question on this thread. Thanks for your response. I know the $200 credit can only be applied once. I was thinking of the F&B credit and whether it could be applied to each room of four simultaneous reservations.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:54 am

... I was thinking of the F&B credit and whether it could be applied to each room of four simultaneous reservations.
I think the limit for F&B credits is 3 rooms, from Post 33 upthread
edit: for FHR
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:02 am

Has anyone tried to apply a Hyatt Suit Upgrade Certificate to a THC reservation?

Has anyone tried to apply a Hyatt Suit Upgrade Certificate to a THC reservation? I try to use the $200 hotel credit and still have 2 suite upgrade certificates that I hate to waste. Thank you.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Illinwu
Has anyone tried to apply a Hyatt Suit Upgrade Certificate to a THC reservation? I try to use the $200 hotel credit and still have 2 suite upgrade certificates that I hate to waste. Thank you.
Ah, I've noticed that for Hyatt reservations made on THC, the area where you input your WOH# is grayed out whereas it isn't when reserved on FHR. So, I'm assuming THC Hyatt reservations do not recognize or confer elite benefits unlike those made via FHR. However, I suppose you could try to write or call your MHC to see your Hyatt number can be manually entered, but, for my taste, this might be one of those more trouble than it's worth moments.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, I've noticed that for Hyatt reservations made on THC, the area where you input your WOH# is grayed out whereas it isn't when reserved on FHR. So, I'm assuming THC Hyatt reservations do not recognize or confer elite benefits unlike those made via FHR. However, I suppose you could try to write or call your MHC to see your Hyatt number can be manually entered, but, for my taste, this might be one of those more trouble than it's worth moments.
Thank you!
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Did anyone end up canceling a booking made in 2021? Was the $200 clawed back?
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bertuzzi
Did anyone end up canceling a booking made in 2021? Was the $200 clawed back?
In my experience, yes. And shockingly fast too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.