Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I don't think that quote was intended to remove a benefit from a different card when an identical benefit was used. At least I can't think of a precedent for such interpretation.
That would be great. I will update after my travel next month.
Old May 30, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
In 2021, I let my $200 hotel credit go unused because I couldn't find any good options for using it that fit my travels. I was/am also very much trying to eat through my stash of Marriott points prior to the upcoming 2023 full dynamic pricing devaluation.

I'm still having a hard time finding a use for it for this year as well. I'm wondering if it's worth booking a $430 room = $230 at an Intercontinental vs using ~60k+ points at a RC very close by (both hotels are very similar in quality/category). I have no status with IHG, where my spouse and I have Plat and Titanium with Marriott. Not sure we can use SNAs at RC, but we do have those too in case we can. At the Intercontinental we would get a $100 food credit as the FHR benefit.

I'm really ok to let it go unused again if I don't feel I'm getting any bang for my buck, just wondering if perhaps it would be worth using in the case above.
Old May 30, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Does $200 Credit Stay if Card is Cancelled Prior to Statement Issuance?

We charged an FHR stay to my wife's Platinum card, which we probably won't renew. We'll have to cancel the card before the next statement date. Will the $200 credit for a completed stay be clawed back if we do that?
Old May 30, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Explore
We charged an FHR stay to my wife's Platinum card, which we probably won't renew. We'll have to cancel the card before the next statement date. Will the $200 credit for a completed stay be clawed back if we do that?
no it does not. You got the credit for a completed stay. If you cancel in the future that does not affect credits you have received.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:48 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
DP
Booked THC on 5/14 for upcoming June Stay
$200 Statement credit posted on account 5/28

Stay has not occurred yet.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Amex removing ability to use additional Gold card for FHR $200 credit?

One way to address the problem of using the $200 FHR credit from a spouse's Plat card when the spouse would not be present for a particular hotel stay has been to get an additional Gold card (AU card) on the Plat account. It seems like Amex might now be removing the ability to get the credit on an additional Gold card. I was disappointed to notice the following language on my Plat statement that cut a couple days ago. Has anyone noticed this, interpreted it, or written about it? Has anyone tried to get the FHR credit with an additional Gold card recently?

"We have updated the Terms and Conditions of this benefit to clarify that purchases of eligible prepaid bookings for
The Hotel Collection made through American Express Travel using eligible Additional Gold Cards on the Platinum
Card Account are eligible for the benefit. Purchases of eligible prepaid bookings for Fine Hotels + Resorts and The
Hotel Collection made through American Express Travel using eligible Basic and Additional Platinum Cards on the
Account are also eligible for the benefit. However, the total amount of statement credits for eligible purchases will
not exceed $200 per calendar year across all Cards on the Account. Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card Members are
not eligible for the benefit. Fine Hotels + Resorts program bookings may be made only by eligible U.S. Consumer
Basic Platinum and Additional Platinum Card Members. Bookings of The Hotel Collection require a minimum stay
of two consecutive nights and may be made by eligible U.S. Consumer Basic and Additional Platinum Card
Members and Additional Gold Card Members on the Platinum Card Account. Additional terms apply; see
for further details."
Old May 31, 2022, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by JJ804
...using the $200 FHR credit from a spouse's Plat card when the spouse would not be present for a particular hotel stay...
Make sure you're clear what's required by the bank, and what's by the hotel. The main requirement from AmEx is that the hotel is prepaid by the Platinum card owner (your spouse). That's enough for them to issue the credit. After that payment, your spouse will be the only listed traveler on the reservation.

The hotel will want to see the person checking in on that reservation. Your spouse will have to amend the list of travelers directly with the hotel. Although it's a simple task, AmEx Travel is not capable of doing it. Fortunately most hotels are interested in getting this business, and are unlikely to give you a hard time.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:36 pm

Has anyone had issues with the AMEX Platinum hotel credit being applied after a cancellation and a reboking?

We made a The Hotel Collection booking, cancelled it on the same day, and then made a new FHR booking on that same day. The $200 credit was applied to the first booking, but then 3 days later was clawed back, and the first hotels charge refunded as well (all as expected). However, it has been 3 weeks since then and we still don’t have a new $200 credit applied to the subsequent FHR booking. Have played phone tag with AMEX CSRs twice, both times they cite some 90 day bullcrap to wait for it to be auto applied, and that they can’t manually apply it. I’m not very confident that it will be automatically applied in 90 days, because I feel like the same day rebooking must have screwed something up in their system.

Would it be a bad idea to just cancel the FHR booking, and after a day or two to clear it out of the system, make a new booking and hope the credit is auto applied within the normal 1-2 day timeframe (as it has always been before this)?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJ804
One way to address the problem of using the $200 FHR credit from a spouse's Plat card when the spouse would not be present for a particular hotel stay has been to get an additional Gold card (AU card) on the Plat account. It seems like Amex might now be removing the ability to get the credit on an additional Gold card. I was disappointed to notice the following language on my Plat statement that cut a couple days ago. Has anyone noticed this, interpreted it, or written about it? Has anyone tried to get the FHR credit with an additional Gold card recently?
The terms seem to be saying that you can't get the FHR credit if you make a reservation with a gold card. That makes sense to me - you have to have a platinum card to use FHR in the first place.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:33 am

Will this credit trigger if you use the "plan it" feature that is offered by AMEX? With $0 fees and $0 interest, sort of makes sense to use the plan it feature if you don't mind paying something off over time interest free, but I'm curious if doing so won't have the $200 trigger.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:08 am

Is the $200 credit for a FHR booking taking longer than usual to post for anyone? It used to post very quickly for me, less than a week, but no credits yet. It's been about 3 weeks so far.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:45 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Is the $200 credit for a FHR booking taking longer than usual to post for anyone? It used to post very quickly for me, less than a week, but no credits yet. It's been about 3 weeks so far.
Some (but not all) credits seem to be quite delayed over the past few weeks. I am actually in the opposite situation- I cancelled a FHR booking a week and a half ago; usually the previously applied credit is clawed back and posts a day or two after the FHR refund posts- but so far nothing. (I actually want to make a new booking but am scared that if I do so before the credit is clawed back, it’s going to screw it up for the new booking.)
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
$200 credit on a FHR booking made on 6/12 was credited back on 6/14.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: Avios
Anyone looking for a great use of the 200 credit

We just came back from Stockholm and the At Six Hotel was available at 260 all in , minus the 200 credit. The hotel was in a great location and with the breakfast for 2 and the 100 hotel credit ,they ended up paying us around a $100 to stay there. We did the stay in 2 player mode so I highly recommend this hotel if your plans take you to Sweden.
MaxVO and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:03 am

Another hotel I'll tag on - going to Ecuador with a friend in September and getting 2 nights at the NH Collection Quito Royal for about $12/night net after taxes & credit. It's hotel collection, but DPs show the $100 credit is good towards breakfast and will cover it for 2 people for 2 mornings. Likely not worth the full $200 credit (breakfast in Quito isn't exactly expensive and decent Airbnbs/local hotels are fairly cheap), but I'd rate it worth about $130-$150 so not a bad option for those who want to treat it as a credit rather than a coupon.

EDIT: LOL, I realized that I posted a similar thing a couple months ago upthread.
MaxVO and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by lowfareair; Jun 28, 2022 at 10:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.