Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I messaged the hotel after making the booking and they confirmed they can see both that it's an FHR rate and my Diamond status. Not like they stack, but still. Also got my 200 USD credit.
Why wouldn't they stack? They should totally stack, giving you both FHR benefit (breakfast and credits) and Hilton Diamond benefit (daily F&B credit, and room upgrade)
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kentauta
I also booked a FHR hotel room in Tokyo on 7/7 and the $200 credit posted on the next day...
Odd, but stranger things have happened, I'm sure.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
If I want to book a room that is $400+ can I put $200 on the Plat personal to get the $200 credit and cover the remaining charge with points? I know it's not a great use of points but I don't want to have any out of pocket costs.

Wonder if anyone has ever tried this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
If I want to book a room that is $400+ can I put $200 on the Plat personal to get the $200 credit and cover the remaining charge with points? I know it's not a great use of points but I don't want to have any out of pocket costs.
So far I haven't come across the mixed payment option for those deals. But if you see it, then it must be allowed for your offer.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by SP03
Why wouldn't they stack? ....
Subsequent discussion of this question (about a dozen posts) has been moved:

Report chain hotel rewards or benefits on PREPAID FHR and THC stays.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
So far I haven't come across the mixed payment option for those deals. But if you see it, then it must be allowed for your offer.
I actually haven't even checked if its possible. I thought it would be just like with airfare. When I book airfare on amextravel.com I always get an option to pay with cc or points or combination of both so assumed it's the same for hotel bookings. But I'm going to check and see if it's at all possible.

ETA: Upon checking it is indeed possible to split the payment between points and card.

As it states there would be a charge of $465 and then a credit of $265 for the points used (at a rate of 1 cpp). There will be $200 remaining charge on my card. Should I have any concern about receiving the $200 FHR credit when booking this way?
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by friedablass; Aug 3, 2022 at 9:08 pm
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:52 am

Trying to now use these ~160,000 MR points for a trip to Disney. Quick question. I am thinking about booking this weekend the Disney Dolphin Hotel via The Hotel Collection. It’s available for the weekend I want in Sept 15-18 for a decent price of 279 a night , not including taxes and resort fees. When I checkout via Amex the total is around 1,100. If I use a combo of points and Amex card, to lower the total, can I still get the 200 hotel credit from Amex? It is being prepaid, just using a combo of points and Amex. Thank you
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by michael1023
....If I use a combo of points and Amex card,....
When you Pay with Points the full cost of the stay will be billed to your card. In a separate transaction, points will be redeemed to (partially) offset the charge. I cannot see any reason this would disqualify that $200 credit but use Search this Thread to look for reports.
michael1023 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:24 pm

Trying to now use these ~160,000 MR points for a trip to Disney. Quick question. I am thinking about booking this weekend the Disney Dolphin Hotel via The Hotel Collection. It’s available for the weekend I want in Sept 15-18 for a decent price of 279 a night , not including taxes and resort fees. When I checkout via Amex the total is around 1,100. If I use a combo of points and Amex card, to lower the total, can I still get the 200 hotel credit from Amex? It is being prepaid, just using a combo of points and Amex. Thank you
I was going to try this for a FHR hotel overseas for a stay in November (prepaying $200 and offsetting the rest of the cost with points) but then a different hotel that hadn't been available with Marriott points became available for my nights so it was more worthwhile for me to burn Marriott points than Amex points. The amount of Amex points I'd use to offset the amount above $200 was more than the Marriott points were worth for booking the night.

For now I'm still looking to burn the $200 credit but I'm not going to cry if it goes to waste like it did last year.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I am also thinking about a quick last minute WDW trip. Does anyone know if Amex Travel can book "special rates"? The Swan/Dolphin offer Annual Passholder rates that knock about $50/night off the best available rate. I don't see anywhere on Amex's site to input the 3 letter special code and was wondering if the phone agents would have access to the special rates.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chicago747
I am also thinking about a quick last minute WDW trip. Does anyone know if Amex Travel can book "special rates"? The Swan/Dolphin offer Annual Passholder rates that knock about $50/night off the best available rate. I don't see anywhere on Amex's site to input the 3 letter special code and was wondering if the phone agents would have access to the special rates.
If the hotel is booked over the phone through an agent, you don't get the $200 credit.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:21 pm

Has anyone cancelled the AmEx travel reservation and have amex NOT claw back the $200 credit? What happened and what did you do? I made a reservation, had to cancel and it doesn't appear amex clawed back the $200 and it's been a few months.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Has anyone cancelled the AmEx travel reservation and have amex NOT claw back the $200 credit? What happened and what did you do? I made a reservation, had to cancel and it doesn't appear amex clawed back the $200 and it's been a few months.
You just can't keep a secret?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This is one of the more challenging benefits for me to use without going out of pocket too much, but had a little win this week. I needed a one night stay in Abu Dhabi and prices were low since what sane person goes to the UAE in August. The Ritz came to $205 after taxes and suite upgrade is already showing in Marriott app (check in tomorrow). $200 credit posted 3-4 days after booking.
friedablass and Tilto007 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Mama
You just can't keep a secret?
Sure, but we all know what happens with AmEx they will claw it back 2 years later. Would rather get this taken care of now than later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.