Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Egg on my face -- somehow I went from THC website to the general Amex Travel website. I really thought it strange that this hotel was on the list but stranger things have happened

Oh well...
It's the same website. You just have to filter out FHR and THC hotels. There's a filter on the left side bar.
mia and TheMadBrewer like this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone been able to use their FHR credit for anything other than super luxury travel lately? I've looked a few times this year and found nothing useful. Since I'm now headed to the Cancun area (not peak season), where there are a lot of 4 star and higher resorts that don't charge sky-high rates, I decided to look again. I didn't see any hotel option that was less than $650/night to use my $200 credit. Most properties were over $900/night. It is difficult to spend $650 a night on a hotel in that area. This promo seems kind of like a joke now. AMEX usually does better than this. If they don't want to offer this deal, fine. But don't pretend it's "a benefit."
Old Oct 30, 2022, 1:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
.....I decided to look again.
Did you look at The Hotel Collection properties in addition to FHR?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone been able to use their FHR credit for anything other than super luxury travel lately? I've looked a few times this year and found nothing useful. Since I'm now headed to the Cancun area (not peak season), where there are a lot of 4 star and higher resorts that don't charge sky-high rates, I decided to look again. I didn't see any hotel option that was less than $650/night to use my $200 credit. Most properties were over $900/night. It is difficult to spend $650 a night on a hotel in that area. This promo seems kind of like a joke now. AMEX usually does better than this. If they don't want to offer this deal, fine. But don't pretend it's "a benefit."
Really depends on the area. LAS routinely has hotels for $200 or less. There are also a lot of The Hotel Collection in the $100-300 range.

It's a benefit for those who would normally book FHR/THC rates, less so for those who don't.
chrisny2 and Adelphos like this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:18 pm

Searched forum but didn't see.
I have yet to use my annual 200 credit. Received the spend $850, get 200 back offer.
I understand these stack.

My question is, does the original (annual $200) wipe away the spend 840 since this is a credit?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Helpmeout
Searched forum but didn't see.
I have yet to use my annual 200 credit. Received the spend $850, get 200 back offer.
I understand these stack.

My question is, does the original (annual $200) wipe away the spend 840 since this is a credit?
What do you mean "wipe away" and where are you getting 840 from?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:08 pm

I recently stumbled upon the Mandarin Oriental Jakarta for $205.21 per night with taxes, etc. for next August. I feel pretty happy with being able to book there for $5 net including breakfast and a massage.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoffeeTraveler
I recently stumbled upon the Mandarin Oriental Jakarta for $205.21 per night with taxes, etc. for next August. I feel pretty happy with being able to book there for $5 net including breakfast and a massage.
Yeah, that's the kind of deal I was expecting in Cancun, where there a ton of resorts and prices aren't that aren't very expensive. But nothing under $650. I also looked at Belize and found nothing.

I guess I can try to plan some 2023 travel and, if I pay before the end of 2022, I get to use my 2022 credit, right?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:45 pm

Yeah, that's the kind of deal I was expecting in Cancun, where there a ton of resorts and prices aren't that aren't very expensive. But nothing under $650. I also looked at Belize and found nothing.

I guess I can try to plan some 2023 travel and, if I pay before the end of 2022, I get to use my 2022 credit, right?
Yes, the credit appears within a few days. Make sure you pay with the Amex Plat (the system allows you to pay with other Amex cards but only the Plat gets the credit).
iahphx likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:46 pm

Yes, using the 2022 credit to book a stay in 2023 is a sweet spot to be able to almost double dip (note that you likely won’t get double experience credits for two FHR/HC bookings back to back) at least on the $200 Amex credit. Also rates may change between December 31 and January 1 of course, and any changes made in 2023 will forfeit the 2022 credit, but it does present some good opportunities for bargains.
iahphx likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:51 pm

Amex offer for FHR, spend 850 get 200 back.
This coupled with the standard 200 which I have not yet used,
So in total, this would be 400 back with the stack.
iahphx likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Helpmeout
Amex offer for FHR, spend 850 get 200 back.
This coupled with the standard 200 which I have not yet used,
So in total, this would be 400 back with the stack.
Yes I just did the same with a booking for next month. My total was $875 and both $200 credits (1 credit from the annual $200 benefit and another credit from the 850/200 amex offer) posted within a few days. I was hoping for a 3rd credit to stack as I had an amex offer from the property directly but unfortunately the charge coded as Amex Travel and not the property name
Helpmeout likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
With the inconsistent delivery of status based benefits at hotels (and the fact they don’t exist at independent hotels), Fine Hotels and Resorts and even The Hotel Collection have become more valuable - and that’s without regard to the credit. The $200 credit is simply a $200 off coupon, it’s not an offer for a free hotel room or something. The value of the credit is $200 if you would normally book FHR (which many did before the credit was introduced), and $0 if you would not normally book FHR.

I think with all the credits on Amex Platinum, people should be comfortable with just letting some go if you can’t use them. Planning last minute trips (where you will surely spend gas money, plane tickets, restaurant spend, etc) to use a credit on a hotel you wouldn’t book anyway is a money loser. Just let it go
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
With the inconsistent delivery of status based benefits at hotels (and the fact they don’t exist at independent hotels), Fine Hotels and Resorts and even The Hotel Collection have become more valuable - and that’s without regard to the credit. The $200 credit is simply a $200 off coupon, it’s not an offer for a free hotel room or something. The value of the credit is $200 if you would normally book FHR (which many did before the credit was introduced), and $0 if you would not normally book FHR.

I think with all the credits on Amex Platinum, people should be comfortable with just letting some go if you can’t use them. Planning last minute trips (where you will surely spend gas money, plane tickets, restaurant spend, etc) to use a credit on a hotel you wouldn’t book anyway is a money loser. Just let it go
While this is true and I've let my FHR credit go unused last year, it really is dependent on where you travel and what you would have paid at a hotel anyway. Not every destination has their FHR hotels priced at $800 or $900. I'm looking at a city where I normally pay about $250 to stay at a mid tier hotel. FHR luxury hotels are pricing at $450 to $550 so given the $200 credit, I am going to book with FHR since I'm getting to stay at a way nicer high end hotel.

Also I've looked at FHR rates during off peak season at several destinations and have seen rates as low as $250 for really nice properties.

So like I said, depending where your travels take you, you can definitely find value in this $200 credit but there's no point in forcing yourself to use it.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:05 am

I just booked one night at a Fine Hotels & Resorts property through the Amex travel portal. What's interesting is during my booking there was no language around the $200 statement credit or Platinum benefits below and the rate was $100 cheaper than what I had seen yesterday. But when I go back into the portal to make a dummy booking, the FHR language and benefits are all over the hotel listing. The hotel is MacArthur Place in Sonoma. I tried contacting chat but the agent didn't really understand my question and kept telling me the overall benefits of the FHR collection.

Are there different booking classes through the portal or should booking through Amex with my platinum card, paying in full now (not at the hotel or installments) still get me the $200 statement credit and benefits below?

• Room upgrade upon arrival, when available**More to enjoy, as a Platinum Card Member you will receive this exclusive suite of benefits with an average total value of $550* at over 1,100 properties worldwide.
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late check-out
  • Noon check-in, when available
  • Complimentary WI-FI
  • Experience credit, such as a spa or food and beverage credit***

Last edited by formiles; Nov 3, 2022 at 9:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.