Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
If I apply now, use the 2022 and 2023 credit and then cancel it, will the 2023 credit be clawed back, or is it purely "calendar year" with no regards to how many years of card ownership?
If you cancel your card after 12 months of ownership, it's not considered "gaming". Besides getting the qualified purchase refunded, I can't think of another reason why this benefit could be clawed back.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
If I apply now, use the 2022 and 2023 credit and then cancel it, will the 2023 credit be clawed back, or is it purely "calendar year" with no regards to how many years of card ownership?
it is strictly per calendar year. They usually don't claw these back assuming you don't cancel the stay.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cfischer
it is strictly per calendar year. They usually don't claw these back assuming you don't cancel the stay.
Not planning on canceling, just not sure the card is worth keeping past year 1. Will depend on how easy I can make use of the incidental airline spend I think.

And you'd THINK there's no way they'd get clawed back, but I've had it happen to me with a Canadian card that had "calendar-based" credit, where if you used two credits in one statement year (but two calendar years), it'd get clawed back - even though the credit nominally was "per calendar year".
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Not planning on canceling, just not sure the card is worth keeping past year 1. Will depend on how easy I can make use of the incidental airline spend I think.

And you'd THINK there's no way they'd get clawed back, but I've had it happen to me with a Canadian card that had "calendar-based" credit, where if you used two credits in one statement year (but two calendar years), it'd get clawed back - even though the credit nominally was "per calendar year".
reports say they don't claw it back, but YMMV. Incidental airline spent is easy to use (check threads on this topic, e.g. you essentially get $200 off a UA flight or Delta with little extra effort). Uber credit is easy to use (Uber eats if nothing else) ... there is a lot of value!
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
reports say they don't claw it back, but YMMV. Incidental airline spent is easy to use (check threads on this topic, e.g. you essentially get $200 off a UA flight or Delta with little extra effort). Uber credit is easy to use (Uber eats if nothing else) ... there is a lot of value!
Deal.

Do I need to book the "FHR" rate or will any rate at an FHR property work?

E.g. I have the option of:

Deluxe Room, 1 King: 306/night
Deluxe Room, 1 King FHR: 322/night

not sure why there's two different rates for the same room...
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:27 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Deal.

Do I need to book the "FHR" rate or will any rate at an FHR property work?

E.g. I have the option of:

Deluxe Room, 1 King: 306/night
Deluxe Room, 1 King FHR: 322/night

not sure why there's two different rates for the same room...
FHR rates aren’t always the lowest rates, though they are usually equal to the lowest “regular” rate available through the hotel. (Ie the hotel may have special
promotional rates that are lower.)

When you book a pre-paid FHR or Hotel Collection rate, it actually codes as such which is what presumably triggers the credit, so regular rates at participating properties are not likely to work.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
FHR rates aren’t always the lowest rates, though they are usually equal to the lowest “regular” rate available through the hotel. (Ie the hotel may have special
promotional rates that are lower.)

When you book a pre-paid FHR or Hotel Collection rate, it actually codes as such which is what presumably triggers the credit, so regular rates at participating properties are not likely to work.
Is that true though? Do FHR properties, on the Amex Travel site when filtering by FHR, show NON-FHR rates? The example I listed is just one - I can look at another property, and NONE of the rates there specifically say "FHR". So it's rather confusing that this property lists both "FHR" and "normal" rates. Presumably any rate booked through the Amex FHR portal SHOULD give FHR benefits and trigger the credit, no?

Last edited by Smiley90; Jul 12, 2022 at 6:22 pm
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:06 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Is that true though? Do FHR properties, on the Amex Travel site when filtering by FHR, show NON-FHR rates? The example I listed is just one - I can look at another property, and NONE of the rates there specifically say "FHR". So it's rather confusing that this property lists both "FHR" and "normal" rates. Presumably any rate booked through the Amex FHR portal SHOULD give FHR benefits and trigger the credit, no?
Can you share the property you are looking at and the dates?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Can you share the property you are looking at and the dates?
I'm looking at a couple properties in Montreal in November - e.g. the Vogue has an "FHR" rate, none of the others do.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I'm looking at a couple properties in Montreal in November - e.g. the Vogue has an "FHR" rate, none of the others do.
I see what you mean. When I looked at Vogue, some room types say FHR, others don't. Both should work, as long as you choose the property marked with the FHR banner.

Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:09 am

Stay after closing account

If booking a prepaid stay with FHR, but the Platinum card is closed before the stay, will there be any issue checking in or receiving the experience credit? I was told by a Hyatt that the cardholder needs to present an Amex card when checking in, but doesn't have to be a Platinum. Is this pretty universal or does it vary hotel from hotel?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
If booking a prepaid stay with FHR, but the Platinum card is closed before the stay, will there be any issue checking in or receiving the experience credit? I was told by a Hyatt that the cardholder needs to present an Amex card when checking in, but doesn't have to be a Platinum. Is this pretty universal or does it vary hotel from hotel?
I think it's a requirement for all AmEx benefits that the account granting the benefit be open at the time credit is received. Booking a FHR will create a "Trip" on AmEx Travel, and it will remain fully accessible after your Plat card is cancelled. If there's any payment due at the hotel, there are no universal requirements, and often you can pay however you like.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SP03
I see what you mean. When I looked at Vogue, some room types say FHR, others don't. Both should work, as long as you choose the property marked with the FHR banner.

I messaged the hotel after making the booking and they confirmed they can see both that it's an FHR rate and my Diamond status. Not like they stack, but still. Also got my 200 USD credit.

What ended up happening is that yes, there are two King rooms, one with FHR and one without - the one without is an ACCESSIBLE room, it just wasn't labelled as such. Oh well. Don't need it, but such is life. I'll just make sure to tell the hotel I don't mind being upgraded to a non-accessible room
Old Jul 30, 2022, 8:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Booked FHR room in Tokyo on 7/6, and $200 credit posted on 7/25, which seems unusually long compared to past experience.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Booked FHR room in Tokyo on 7/6, and $200 credit posted on 7/25, which seems unusually long compared to past experience.
I also booked a FHR hotel room in Tokyo on 7/7 and the $200 credit posted on the next day...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.