Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by milesforhire
When did your charge post? I believe I purchased before you did but my charges landed on Jan 1. (And the reimbursement was also on Jan 1)
January 1, 2022.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I take it it's due to the $200 credit and/or the various perks that the THC average price per night for the minimum two day stay is higher than for the nights individually?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
January 1, 2022.
Unfortunately I confirmed via chat that it consumed our 2022 credit. Let me know if you find out the same.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by milesforhire
Unfortunately I confirmed via chat that it consumed our 2022 credit. Let me know if you find out the same.
T&C said I'm good to go.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I made a 2-night THC booking and was credited $200. If I get AMEX to modify the reservation to just one night, will the credit get automatically reversed?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by strbrynkrm
... If I get AMEX to modify the reservation to just one night, will the credit get automatically reversed?
They do not modify, and THC program does not offer 1 night stays.
renila and strbrynkrm like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:26 pm

Not strictly related to the $200 credit, but I need to book two rooms for an upcoming trip, but I want to book different room types, so it looks like I need to do two separate reservations. Would this mean I get $100 credit at the hotel for each reservation or is it limited to just one $100 credit total? This is for a THC hotel, not FHR. Also if I supply my IHG number but pay through amex to get my 5x points and $200 statement credit, do I still/also get points at IHG?

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2022, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by uncleruckus
Not strictly related to the $200 credit, but I need to book two rooms for an upcoming trip, but I want to book different room types, so it looks like I need to do two separate reservations. Would this mean I get $100 credit at the hotel for each reservation or is it limited to just one $100 credit total? This is for a THC hotel, not FHR. Also if I supply my IHG number but pay through amex to get my 5x points and $200 statement credit, do I still/also get points at IHG?

Thanks
The credit is per room per stay so you’ll get $100 for each room. You’ll get the nights and points at IHG if you provide your number either to Amex or at check in.
uncleruckus and imnotalawyer like this.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Jan 25, 2022 at 6:10 am
Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:33 am

Awesome that works great then
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Had a stay booked for this summer at Villa Kennedy using FHR, and already received the $200 credit. I read today that Villa Kennedy is closing in April, so I just booked at a different FHR hotel in Frankfurt, the Sofitel, and then canceled Villa Kennedy. Will I have any issue with Amex clawing back the credit and then not awarding it again for the Sofitel? I figure I'll just call Amex if that happens but am curious if we have any datapoints.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Had a stay booked for this summer at Villa Kennedy using FHR, and already received the $200 credit. I read today that Villa Kennedy is closing in April, so I just booked at a different FHR hotel in Frankfurt, the Sofitel, and then canceled Villa Kennedy. Will I have any issue with Amex clawing back the credit and then not awarding it again for the Sofitel? I figure I'll just call Amex if that happens but am curious if we have any datapoints.
You will be fine. Amex system may claw back the first credit, then credit your second booking. At the end of day you get the $200 FHR credit per year no natter what.
I booked/canceled/rebooked my FHR multiple times(all within the same year), there is no problem at all.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.

Last edited by Mama; Jan 26, 2022 at 4:34 am
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:12 pm

Does anyone know how Amex handles partial refunds with regards to the $200 credit?

My situation:

- Prepaid a hotel in December for $600
- got the $200 credit in December
- wife has covid so have to cancel the booking this weekend. The cancelation rate is 50% inside one week.

So assuming the hotel puts $300 back on my card, ho does that work with regards to the credit?

I could see an argument made for a full clawback or none at all. Anyone know? Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by dval44
Does anyone know how Amex handles partial refunds with regards to the $200 credit?

My situation:

- Prepaid a hotel in December for $600
- got the $200 credit in December
- wife has covid so have to cancel the booking this weekend. The cancelation rate is 50% inside one week.

So assuming the hotel puts $300 back on my card, ho does that work with regards to the credit?

I could see an argument made for a full clawback or none at all. Anyone know? Thanks
My opinion would be none at all because the credit is $200 off $200.

So if you get $300 back you still paid $300 which would still qualify for the credit.
Adelphos and MaxVO like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:21 pm

Here's what the American Express website has to say about this:

What if I cancel a prepaid hotel booking for which I received the $200 Hotel Credit?

When a booking is cancelled and a refund is issued that results in the purchase being less than $200 and you received the $200 Hotel Credit for the booking, the amount of that credit may be reversed. If the replacement booking is not made in the same calendar year as the original booking, the Hotel Credit available in the new calendar year will be applied to the replacement booking (if eligible).
https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...-hotel-credit/
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by MarkY123
Here's what the American Express website has to say about this:

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...-hotel-credit/
This doesn't address the OPs scenario where his booking is $600 and he's being refunded only $300 so still paid $300 out of pocket. They only talk about if the refund causes the amount to fall below $200 which is not the case here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.