Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by mia
The Experience Credit is provided by the property, not by American Express. It will be available during each FHR stay. It is not in any way related to the $200 annual credit.
Agreed. The Experience Credit shows on the hotel folio, not via an AMEX credit on your statement.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by mia
The Experience Credit is provided by the property, not by American Express. It will be available during each FHR stay. It is not in any way related to the $200 annual credit.
so, one could get 2 experience credit in the same yr in 2022, correct? e.i, booked 1 now for a stay in spring 2022 & book another some time next yr for another stay... say in winter 2022; also as i might have missed previous As to this Q, what if card is no longer a Plat that got downgraded to a different card on the booked day, will the stay still get a $100 credit?

edit: nvm, found A about a non-platinum cc on post #228

Last edited by danhouston; Dec 21, 2021 at 12:16 pm
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by danhouston
so, one could get 2 experience credit in the same yr in 2022, correct? e.i, booked 1 now for a stay in spring 2022 & book another some time next yr for another stay... say in winter 2022
Once can get an experience credit each time they have a qualifying stay. The credit comes off the bill at the hotel level and at the time of checkout. For example, if you have a $100 spa or breakfast credit and spend $120 at the spa or breakfast, the net amount on your hotel charge will be $20. Do the same thing on five, 25, or 250 different stays, the hotel will give you the same credit each time.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by danhouston
so, one could get 2 experience credit in the same yr in 2022, correct?....
Every FHR stay includes an Experience Credit. There is no cap on the number of stays.

You other question is discussed here: AMEX FHR benefits honored if Platinum card cancelled after booking?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Thanks you're right! I just checked the details for my next year's FHR booking and I'm seeing the following:
Your Fine Hotels & Resorts reservation includes an exclusive suite of benefits including USD$100 Food and beverage credit to be used during your stay.
If I get the credit in a couple of days, which I think will happen, this perk is better than I initially expected
Old Dec 24, 2021, 9:35 pm

Does anyone know if the food billed to your room can be applied to the $200 amex credit? I have an upcoming stay where the room rate will be under the $200 credit amount so I'm looking to maximize it
Old Dec 25, 2021, 7:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by luckyace
Does anyone know if the food billed to your room can be applied to the $200 amex credit?
The credit is paid by Amex Travel based on the Prepaid amount. They never see expenses incurred during the stay.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 4:14 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by luckyace
Does anyone know if the food billed to your room can be applied to the $200 amex credit? I have an upcoming stay where the room rate will be under the $200 credit amount so I'm looking to maximize it
Pick a bigger room or better view. Like mia said, Amex credit only applies to whatever Amex Travel charges you at the time of booking. I think it covers taxes on top of room rate too, so your room rate with taxes might take you above $200.

LAX
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
...I think it covers taxes on top of room rate too, so your room rate with taxes might take you above $200.
Unfortunately this benefit applies only to charges paid to AmEx Travel, and taxes will be collected at the hotel.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:12 pm

I can't seem to find any information on this:

Can I make 3 prepaid bookings now (for stays in 2022) and still retain the $200 credit when I cancel 2 of those bookings?

Last edited by nunogomes; Dec 25, 2021 at 9:44 pm
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Unfortunately this benefit applies only to charges paid to AmEx Travel, and taxes will be collected at the hotel.
Taxes and fees are collected by Amex Travel, at least for the few properties I’ve stayed with.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by nunogomes

Can I make 3 prepaid bookings now (for stays in 2022) and still retain the $200 credit when I cancel 2 of those bookings?
Once you cancel your booking and get the refund, Amex will claw back the $200 credit. It happened to me.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 4:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by nunogomes

Originally Posted by asiantraveler
Once you cancel your booking and get the refund, Amex will claw back the $200 credit. It happened to me.
In this case, it depends on the specific booking that triggers the credit… You probably can’t make multiple speculative bookings and then retroactively decide which booking the credit applies for (or maybe you can try by calling into Amex but I wouldn’t guarantee it)
Old Dec 26, 2021, 2:10 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Taxes and fees are collected by Amex Travel, at least for the few properties I’ve stayed with.
I think some taxes are needed to be paid upfront and collected by Amex Travel. Perhaps there are other "taxes and fees" that are paid at the hotel (usually at the time of check-out).

LAX
Old Dec 26, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
In this case, it depends on the specific booking that triggers the credit… You probably can’t make multiple speculative bookings and then retroactively decide which booking the credit applies for (or maybe you can try by calling into Amex but I wouldn’t guarantee it)
Yeah, I mean you could retroactively decide which booking the credit should apply to, but it'll probably be an uphill battle with Amex and involve the cardholder threatening to close the account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.