Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
.... requirement to fly Delta to enter SkyTeam lounges?
In what context? In any event I don't see any connection between SkyTeam lounges and the airline chosen for the fee reimbursement.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by mia
In what context? In any event I don't see any connection between SkyTeam lounges and the airline chosen for the fee reimbursement.
In the context of not spreading yourself too thin. Almost all of my domestic travel is with Alaska, so there's room for just one other airline which needs to fulfill both the $200 travel credit and for when the only airport lounge option is SkyTeam.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 7:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This thread discusses the targeted $200 Amex Travel benefit, If you are looking for discussion of the $200 Airline Fee reimbursement benefit, try these two threads:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2020-21-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2020-a.html
vanillabean likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Note also FWIW that the Plat card gets you entry specifically to DL Sky Clubs, not all SkyTeam lounges.
mia likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
it's my renewal month - so I just got this benefit ... I have been traveling booked through AMEX Travel , they get the best prices for American Air ... so, I'll use this credit within a few months
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Are airfares purchased through Amex Travel/Expedia now restricted in the same way that Chase UR purchases are, or can they be changed directly with the airline? I remember being able to cancel an AS ticket purchased through Amex Travel for My Wallet credit a few years back but don’t know if that’s still possible.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Are airfares purchased through Amex Travel/Expedia now restricted in the same way that Chase UR purchases are, or can they be changed directly with the airline? I remember being able to cancel an AS ticket purchased through Amex Travel for My Wallet credit a few years back but don’t know if that’s still possible.
I made a flight change two days ago directly on delta's site for my ticket I purchased through amextravel to a flight on a different day (same class of service and ticketing cost) without any issue nor contact with amex.
WrightHI likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
$200 reimbursed

1/30 Purchased a United flight on Amex Travel
2/8 Travel meter showed $200 used
2/9 Mid-day the credit posted

Took a bit longer to credit than the normal incidental credit but happy it did.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by chicago747
1/30 Purchased a United flight on Amex Travel
2/8 Travel meter showed $200 used
2/9 Mid-day the credit posted

Took a bit longer to credit than the normal incidental credit but happy it did.
I made my purchase about a week after you and I have a similar timeline. I'm surprised it took this long to get credited.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: Independent
2/24: Purchased > $200 Delta flight on Amex Travel. Also purchased United award ticket through United with > $200 in cost.
2/25: Amex travel credit posted as "UNITED ELEC TICKETNGHOUSTON" 🤔 (When I click "additional information" on the charge it says "Amex Travel Credit")
2/26: I am now irrationally concerned that when I inevitably cancel my United ticket the credit will get clawed back 😨
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by hkcj
2/24: Purchased > $200 Delta flight on Amex Travel. Also purchased United award ticket through United with > $200 in cost.
2/25: Amex travel credit posted as "UNITED ELEC TICKETNGHOUSTON" 🤔 (When I click "additional information" on the charge it says "Amex Travel Credit")
2/26: I am now irrationally concerned that when I inevitably cancel my United ticket the credit will get clawed back 😨
​​​​​What amount is your credit for? $200 straight? Do you have United selected as your airline for the incidental credit? Perhaps the system is getting confused between the two?

I don't think I'd be concerned about it being clawed back especially since the United charge was for taxes on an award and wasn't made through Amex travel.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by friedablass
​​​​​What amount is your credit for? $200 straight? Do you have United selected as your airline for the incidental credit? Perhaps the system is getting confused between the two?

I don't think I'd be concerned about it being clawed back especially since the United charge was for taxes on an award and wasn't made through Amex travel.
The system gets confused. I have seen this before with other credits as well where the posted rebate was under a name that wasn't even eligible in the first place (same day and category, but completely different merchant). Of course that has always been inconsequential, but the question is legit what happens when you cancel?
Best case to keep it 'safe' is get e FFC or ETC and not a refund.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
The system gets confused. I have seen this before with other credits as well where the posted rebate was under a name that wasn't even eligible in the first place (same day and category, but completely different merchant). Of course that has always been inconsequential, but the question is legit what happens when you cancel?
Best case to keep it 'safe' is get e FFC or ETC and not a refund.
Can you get that for taxes paid on an award?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Can you get that for taxes paid on an award?
If "that" is still the Amex Travel Agency credit, then no. You need to book awards directly with airlines or hotel chains. If you're now discussing the incidental credit, it's possible with some airlines (as reported in pertinent threads).
Old Feb 28, 2021, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
If "that" is still the Amex Travel Agency credit, then no. You need to book awards directly with airlines or hotel chains. If you're now discussing the incidental credit, it's possible with some airlines (as reported in pertinent threads).
Sorry for the confusion, I meant to ask if you can get FFC or ETC for taxes paid on an award (in order to avoid the clawback since the Amex Travel credit seems to have been confused with the United fees paid on an award).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.