Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by mia
Thank you for the clarification. This means the CSR is just reciting the terms to euromannn, and likely has no actual knowledge of when the credit will post.
Correct------ AMEX is poorly trained that they cite the maximum allowed. Today calling about new offer credits I asked about travel credit and this other AMEX rep said typically 2 weeks from charge date or amex can manually update at that time.

AMEX has zero feedback on why other charges take only 2 days to post but total confusion on the travel credit promo.

BTW- AMEX promo from Paypal requires new or expired Paypal members to enroll in PayPal promo with AMEX to relinquish their photo ID (driver's license, or passport). Paypal doesn't seem like the most ethical company. Amex doesn't seem to have high standards for their benefit partnerships either.

Last edited by euromannn; Jan 5, 2021 at 7:48 pm
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by euromannn
Correct------ AMEX is poorly trained that they cite the maximum allowed. Today calling about new offer credits I asked about travel credit and this other AMEX rep said typically 2 weeks from charge date or amex can manually update at that time.

AMEX has zero feedback on why other charges take only 2 days to post but total confusion on the travel credit promo.

BTW- MAEX promo from Paypal requires new or expired Paypal members to enroll in PayPal promo with AMEX to relinquish their photo ID (driver's license, or passport). Paypal doesn't seem like the most ethical company. Amex doesn't seem to have high standards for their benefit partnerships either.
I realize this is going to sound like a dumb question - but are you eligible for the $200 Amex Travel promo? If you are it will be in your account automatically, look at your Platinum card, give the mouse about 3 scrolls down and look on the right side there will be a $200 tracker.

As for PayPal, I haven't had to show any ID. But Amex will partner with whoever feels like reimbursing them for the promos. I would be willing to bet my monthly PayPal credit that Amex is paying next to nothing of this $30 credit and PP is eating most of it.
mia and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

Amex Travel is operated by Expedia. It's likely that they are funding the Travel Credit, and their own processes add time. In any event, it is a characteristic of American Express bonuses, of all types, that many post in a few days, while some take weeks. This is an artifact of batch processing.
euromannn, bizum and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I realize this is going to sound like a dumb question - but are you eligible for the $200 Amex Travel promo? If you are it will be in your account automatically, look at your Platinum card, give the mouse about 3 scrolls down and look on the right side there will be a $200 tracker.

As for PayPal, I haven't had to show any ID. But Amex will partner with whoever feels like reimbursing them for the promos. I would be willing to bet my monthly PayPal credit that Amex is paying next to nothing of this $30 credit and PP is eating most of it.
1. Being eligible for $200 AMeX Travel credit - I AM. Problem is getting credit posted after the charge is posted!

2. Paypal - gimmick. If you have an existing PayPal account - no photo ID required. If you are a new enrollment account OR as in my case your Paypal account expired you CANNOT link the AMEX Plat CC to PayPal unless you send photo ID(driver's license or passport). Not the most ethical company in the US violating privacy rights. They can ask for it and if you refuse AMEX will NOT cover Paypal $30/mo promo for 6 months.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:55 pm

Makes sense EXPEDIA is the problem.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Data point --charged two hotel rooms and a plane ticket dec 31 and a total of $200 worth creditted back to me Jan 5th
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by tobikosan
Data point --charged two hotel rooms and a plane ticket dec 31 and a total of $200 worth creditted back to me Jan 5th
Amex travel $200 promo same dates for me on DL ticket. Bought Dec 31 and credit posted Jan 5. Amex reps aren’t familiar with this
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:55 am

Data point: AMEXTravel charge on 11/26/20, no credit as of yet nor change on the "$200 tracker." Will update when it posts.....
Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I booked a flight in September 2021 for BOTH the $200 airline fee credit and $200 travel credit. Airline fee credit was posted 2 days after charge. MY travel credit is pending and AMEX cannot even guess when it will post except within 90 days of travel purchase.
Maybe I'm a little confused, but you say you booked "a" flight (singular). The $200 travel credit needs to be booked via amextravel.com. The $200 airline fee credit needs to be booked with the airline itself (e.g., using a gift card to force the CC charge to show as an additional collection, at least on DL). So I'm not sure how you can get both offers on one flight.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Maybe I'm a little confused, but you say you booked "a" flight (singular). The $200 travel credit needs to be booked via amextravel.com. The $200 airline fee credit needs to be booked with the airline itself (e.g., using a gift card to force the CC charge to show as an additional collection, at least on DL). So I'm not sure how you can get both offers on one flight.
Agreed. Maybe the OP can enlighten us how these 2 credits could possibly stack or what was exactly purchased. I mean in principle if Amex travel was using an existing flight credit that comes through as 'add/collect' then it could work. But completely de-novo booking 100% paid by Amex Plat should not have an option to trigger both credits.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
Agreed. Maybe the OP can enlighten us how these 2 credits could possibly stack or what was exactly purchased. I mean in principle if Amex travel was using an existing flight credit that comes through as 'add/collect' then it could work. But completely de-novo booking 100% paid by Amex Plat should not have an option to trigger both credits.
Actually, it's a fair point that if you do book via an Agency I think it still shows as a charge by the ticketing airline, so maybe this does work if you can get it as an add-collect, but with Expedia I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:17 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
FHR $200 Credit?

I thought I saw Amex had a promo of a $200 statement credit when booking via FHR? Did I misread that?
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Are you thinking of the targeted $200 Amex Travel offer, discussed here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...31-2021-a.html
Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:47 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
That was it. Unfortunately, not targeted.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I must have been AWOL when this benefit was announced because I had no clue it existed until I stumbled across it by chance today on another website. My annual fee was paid back in October 2020 and I didn't get any email about this, but I do see that there is a $200 credit in my account. Was there a credit in 2020 and it renewed again in 2021 like with the incidental airline credit fee? Or was there just 1× $200 credit per primary account? Just making sure I didn't miss out on anything .

Last edited by friedablass; Jan 10, 2021 at 9:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.