Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by friedablass
Sorry for the confusion, I meant to ask if you can get FFC or ETC for taxes paid on an award (in order to avoid the clawback since the Amex Travel credit seems to have been confused with the United fees paid on an award).
That's a good question. I have done so many refunds and ETCs recently, but of course never for award tickets since they are always 100% refundable for me. I don't see why they couldn't do an ETC here. Also, if you rebook the award it will just charge the difference or refund the difference. No way for Amex to track that back to the original charge,
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by friedablass
​​​​​What amount is your credit for? $200 straight? Do you have United selected as your airline for the incidental credit? Perhaps the system is getting confused between the two?
It was for $200 straight and United was my incidental credit airline, so that would make sense. (Or the other explanation above about "same day" charges.) I chatted Amex and they said the credit was sent by Amex Travel as a refund to the card, so that makes me feel confident.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:35 pm

What are the terms for this $200 credit? My card renews this month, and I'm considering using the $200 credit and then cancelling the card before the annual fee hits. I'm curious if they'd claw back the credit?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by kthpence
What are the terms for this $200 credit? My card renews this month, and I'm considering using the $200 credit and then cancelling the card before the annual fee hits. I'm curious if they'd claw back the credit?
Not sure what the answer is, but if the credit meter is already showing in your account that means you can use it and then how would they claw it back if you close the account?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kthpence
What are the terms for this $200 credit?
The terms are included in the Wikipost at the top of this thread.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I asked a chat agent as well. Being uncomfortable with vague statements, I asked the agent to check if my card has the credit. After some delay to research my account, the agent returned with the general offer terms, and an explicit statement "Your card is eligible". Any further questions about the credit should be directed to AmEx Platinum Travel.
So far it sounds encouraging, and consistent with mia's suggestion that there may still be technical glitches.
I can now update my experience from last September. At that time my account showed no indication that it got targeted, but I was assured by a chat agent that I would definitely get that credit. Well, a few weeks ago I finally bought air fare from Amex Travel. There were no changes in my account as far as the visibility of that credit. And a week after the purchase there was still no credit.
I decided to have another online chat, mentioned my Amex Travel purchase, and the chat from last September. The new agent located the previous chat and agreed that it was clear enough to be a commitment. He promised to apply that credit manually, and I would see it in 24-48 hrs. About 4 days later there was indeed a $200 credit in my account! Thanks Amex and this thread.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:05 am

Interestingly, my meter disappeared with a statement congratulating me on using all of my credit after only a $102 purchase through AmexTravel. I asked in chat and the rep confirmed that the remaining $98 was still available to me for use before December '21. I made a larger purchase (~$800) this weekend, so we will see if the remainder is credited without me having to chase it down. Looking back at my earlier purchase, the credit took about 6 days to post after purchase so I hope to see it reflected in my statement this weekend. Thought this may be of interest in case someone else encounters a similar bug with the meter disappearing or inaccurately reporting all credits used.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:10 pm

I can now update my experience from last September. At that time my account showed no indication that it got targeted, but I was assured by a chat agent that I would definitely get that credit. Well, a few weeks ago I finally bought air fare from Amex Travel. There were no changes in my account as far as the visibility of that credit. And a week after the purchase there was still no credit.
I decided to have another online chat, mentioned my Amex Travel purchase, and the chat from last September. The new agent located the previous chat and agreed that it was clear enough to be a commitment. He promised to apply that credit manually, and I would see it in 24-48 hrs. About 4 days later there was indeed a $200 credit in my account! Thanks Amex and this thread.
nice DP. good to see amex honoring prior chat comments. however, the real question is whether this is "targeted" or not.

various scenarios:
1) prior chat rep was wrong and you were not eligible, but still awarded courtesy credit

2) prior chat rep was correct, but the offer was not "active" yet and your credit was manually awarded. would be interesting to see if you get another $200 credit once the offer is active on your account

3) this offer is truly targeted and there are many glitches so everyone should call to double check and also request for manual credit (unlikely)

based on the updated announcement, everyone should be targeted. i still havent seen anything for myself on multiple plats and i have already crossed over the renewal date period once on all plats. so IMO amex is waiting for the latest possible renewal date.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
3) this offer is truly targeted and there are many glitches ...
Scenario 3 sounds most reasonable. I recall this benefit was first used as a retention tool. Thus it had to be targeted, but with much flexibility.
However, it does not come with a hard annual membership commitment. So it's also a loyalty benefit for sticking with AmEx.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:44 pm

Scenario 3 sounds most reasonable. I recall this benefit was first used as a retention tool. Thus it had to be targeted, but with much flexibility.
However, it does not come with a hard annual membership commitment. So it's also a loyalty benefit for sticking with AmEx.
yea. you actually reminded me of a key requirement for this "targeted" offer. its been mentioned that plats can NOT have an active retention offer during this promo. otherwise, youre ineligible. not sure if you had a retention offer prior to the chat, but if you did, then that was a nice double dip. obv YMMV. now it makes sense that nobody is really talking about it. most would call in for a nice retention offer instead eg 50k MR

im curious if anyone here got a retention offer before/after the $200 credit tracker. i want to see how true this theory is. i got offers on all my cards. that may explain why none have the tracker.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
im curious if anyone here got a retention offer before/after the $200 credit tracker. i want to see how true this theory is. i got offers on all my cards. that may explain why none have the tracker.
I got a 50k MR retention offer on my Plat at the end of December and I had (and still have) the $200 tracker showing.
Diplomatico and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I got a 50k MR retention offer on my Plat at the end of December and I had (and still have) the $200 tracker showing.
Same.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Same.
nice. appreciate the DP. i assume you got the tracker first. then retention in dec? i did my retention even before the credit was announced. no tracker for me. im wondering if people got the tracker first, then still called in for a retention after the tracker was added to the account. that may work vs getting retention first which would make you ineligible (if theory holds true).
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
that may work vs getting retention first which would make you ineligible (if theory holds true).
I don't think the amex travel credit and retention offers have anything to do with one another, but that's just my opinion based off years of Amex, retention offers, and the like.
mia likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 8:55 am

I don't think the amex travel credit and retention offers have anything to do with one another, but that's just my opinion based off years of Amex, retention offers, and the like.
yea. i guess youre right. i was hoping everyone would get the 200 credit, but it looks to be targeted. thats a shame. its already been a year since the announcement so everyone should have received the tracker by now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.