Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
this is ripe for amex clawback. i wouldnt risk it. i would make an additional $200+ amex travel booking to compensate for the glitch. we all know what happened to the Dell double dip. but this double dip isnt even valid. UA TB has nothing to do with amex travel prepay bookings. its an interesting coding glitch, but i already know what amex RAT will do 10 years from now after you had closed your account and also died. they will send your children a warrant and a subpoena.
The second poster ultimately made $200 in Amex travel purchases anyway(in addition to the $200 UA TB) so the $400 credit is 100% valid.

I also purchased $200 TB in January and did not receive my travel credit in addition to the airline incidental credit, as have many others (check related thread) so this does not seem to be a widespread issue in my estimation.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
For me a tracker just appeared on the homepage when I logged in. This happened about 1-2 months after card anniversary
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The "tracker" shows up on the bottom right side of your Plat page.
Thanks! I'll keep checking the page.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 8:50 am

this is ripe for amex clawback. i wouldnt risk it. i would make an additional $200+ amex travel booking to compensate for the glitch. we all know what happened to the Dell double dip. but this double dip isnt even valid. UA TB has nothing to do with amex travel prepay bookings. its an interesting coding glitch, but i already know what amex RAT will do 10 years from now after you had closed your account and also died. they will send your children a warrant and a subpoena.
For what it's worth I made that TravelBank purchase in early January and it has held firm. I have made a subsequent AmexTravel purchase so, if it ever does get clawed back, I have a qualifying purchase to fit the bill so to speak. Interestingly enough I do plan on closing this Platinum card in the next few weeks (I opened up a CS Platinum with the intent of ultimately closing this Platinum before its AF).
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
post pay wouldnt count for the credit. thats paying the hotel. unless you are paying a deposit to amex first, prepay is the way to go for 5x MR.

also, i dont understand your IHG number issue. just call amex. call the hotel. or do it at checkin. as for IHG loyalty pts and recognition, its YMMV. be prepared to get nothing and be told stupid info. you should get some points, elite night credit and other benefits, but prepay booking via amex is like any other OTA ie non-qualifying rate
Right. My concern is that it is very much not clear that post-pay bookings (which are readily available on amextravel) are not eligible for the credit. Past promos like this have been much clearer that it is only prepaid reservations that qualify. This is confusing enough that widely-read blogs (TPG link) have actively indicated that postpay works and have not corrected themselves.

IHG number issue is just a matter of convenience. The rate on amextravel is actually higher than if I booked with the hotel/IHG directly (and matches another publicly available flexible rate), yet I have an additional barrier to cross to get points/stay credit/benefits. Many other OTA prepay bookings allow entry/passthrough of loyalty number even just for the convenience of having the reservation show up in your app or whatever. I'm not really in the IHG ecosystem so I don't care in this case. Like I said, it's just a gripe.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:14 pm

I searched the thread for an answer, but was unable to find one.

I booked a trip in April and my hotel was booked through Amex Travel so the $200 was applied to the total for the hotel. I finally got an appointment for my first vaccine shot and it turns out it lands right smack dab in the middle of this trip. I am not going to mess around with rescheduling the appointment because it took me forever to find availability so I am going re-schedule this entire trip.

Does anyone know what happens to the credit if you cancel a booking that has used the credit? Does the $200 general travel credit re-appear back in the account?

Worse case, I will just cancel the hotel and eat the $200.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Statman
I searched the thread for an answer, but was unable to find one.

I booked a trip in April and my hotel was booked through Amex Travel so the $200 was applied to the total for the hotel. I finally got an appointment for my first vaccine shot and it turns out it lands right smack dab in the middle of this trip. I am not going to mess around with rescheduling the appointment because it took me forever to find availability so I am going re-schedule this entire trip.

Does anyone know what happens to the credit if you cancel a booking that has used the credit? Does the $200 general travel credit re-appear back in the account?

Worse case, I will just cancel the hotel and eat the $200.
I know someone who had their first appointment come up during a vacation; she decided to fly home, get the shot, and fly back during her vacation!
Statman likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 2:09 pm

can this $200 credit be used for a United Travel Bank purchase? My card just renewed earlier this month and this show up in my account.
After I saw this I made a $100 travel bank purchase on March 23, 2021 and no credit has been issued. Bummer

Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BuonaDomenica
can this $200 credit be used for a United Travel Bank purchase?
No. As it says, this credit is for booking travel through American Express Travel, an online travel agency operated by Expedia. There is no other way to use it.

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/travel/
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:31 am

BuonaDomenica and mia

Maybe? is the answer.

Mia is correct that the TravelBank purchase does not fit anywhere within the stated offer terms but, after making a TravelBank purchase directly through United's website, I received both the Airline Fee credit and the AmexTravel credit. My data point is above (Post #216) and another user actually reported the same thing happening to them right above my post.

I have also made a subsequent AmexTravel bank purchase just in case Amex gets wise to their mistake and "corrects" it but it seems to be working for more people than just me.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:39 pm

There are reports in the UA reimbursement thread that TB stopped accepting new loads. Maybe fresh programming talent was brought in to "fix" the double dip or even other features.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
The second poster ultimately made $200 in Amex travel purchases anyway(in addition to the $200 UA TB) so the $400 credit is 100% valid.

I also purchased $200 TB in January and did not receive my travel credit in addition to the airline incidental credit, as have many others (check related thread) so this does not seem to be a widespread issue in my estimation.
yes. its definitely a glitch and looks to be inconsistently applied. if it works, people should tread carefully.

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
For what it's worth I made that TravelBank purchase in early January and it has held firm. I have made a subsequent AmexTravel purchase so, if it ever does get clawed back, I have a qualifying purchase to fit the bill so to speak. Interestingly enough I do plan on closing this Platinum card in the next few weeks (I opened up a CS Platinum with the intent of ultimately closing this Platinum before its AF).
i think youre fine. just keep good records in case amex bills you.

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Maybe? is the answer.

Mia is correct that the TravelBank purchase does not fit anywhere within the stated offer terms but, after making a TravelBank purchase directly through United's website, I received both the Airline Fee credit and the AmexTravel credit. My data point is above (Post #216) and another user actually reported the same thing happening to them right above my post.

I have also made a subsequent AmexTravel bank purchase just in case Amex gets wise to their mistake and "corrects" it but it seems to be working for more people than just me.
such a glitch should not be relied upon nor used. there are many things we do in this game thats against the T&Cs and glitches happen in our favor, but i advise heavy caution for anyone hitting the amex travel credit with only UA TB loads.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
There are reports in the UA reimbursement thread that TB stopped accepting new loads. Maybe fresh programming talent was brought in to "fix" the double dip or even other features.
when? im still seeing positive DPs.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 4:21 pm

when? ...
There seems to be an ongoing problem with United website issuing "Payment Failed" messages. But payment CC may actually be charged at a later time. People who took the "failure" message at face value, ended up with more payments than they had intended to make.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
There seems to be an ongoing problem with United website issuing "Payment Failed" messages. But payment CC may actually be charged at a later time. People who took the "failure" message at face value, ended up with more payments than they had intended to make.
thank you for the clarification. yea, i saw that. hopefully its just a web glitch and doesnt mean UA software updates to close the TB load amex loophole.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had never used Amex travel before, but today I needed a one-way ticket from Florida to Boston in June, so decided to check out that option to use the $200 while I remembered.

Long story short - $278 in AA F appeared, so I grabbed it. Couldn't choose seats via Amex, but no problem doing so from my American account afterwards.

Here's hoping the credit posts soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.