Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Want to be a guinea pig???
Haha. I am already booked for my upcoming trip and am not sure when my next trip will be.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by MattBTU
~24 hours for the credit meter to move. ~4 days for the credit to post to the account.

Did you use Future Flight Credit or Travel Bank funds in addition to Amex? Or was it 100% paid for on Amex?

Credit on statement shows up as UNITED ELEC TICKETNGHOUSTON
I did use Future flight credit for this. My charge posted as "UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETNG". I also have United selected for Airline credit and already used that at start of the year. I was hoping hoping based on other posted dps that this will work for $200 Travel credit, but I guess I would now need to somehow plan a booking via Amex travel portal only
Old Jul 2, 2021, 1:55 pm

I guess I already know the answer, but just trying to be double sure.

$200 Amex travel credit can be used for hotel bookings outside US as well, right? It just needs to be booked via Amex travel portal. Anyone who has used this for outside US bookings?
Old Jul 3, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by vgtest1980
I guess I already know the answer, but just trying to be double sure.

$200 Amex travel credit can be used for hotel bookings outside US as well, right? It just needs to be booked via Amex travel portal. Anyone who has used this for outside US bookings?
It can be used FOR ALL TYPES OF TRAVEL anywhere. Go to the first page and look at the wiki. It's for cruises too.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 4:06 am
kyh

For those that were targeted to receive the $200 FHR Travel Credit earlier this year (and used it during January 2021 to June 2021), do we get $200 or $400 for 2021 in total FHR credits after the new benefits have been announced?

I have used the $200 for a FHR stay earlier in January 2021 (for the Targeted $200 travel credit), and now it is showing on the meter "Benefits" page that I have used up all the travel credits.

Does the newer $200 travel credit announced in July 2021 only apply to those that have not been targeted previously? Meaning all Platinum card users will only have $200 to spend for their FHR travel credit this year?

Screenshot taken today showing the meter with travel credit used up:

$200 Travel Credit for existing Plat Users:
For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Newly Announced $200 Travel Credit (July 2021)
U.S. Consumer Basic and Additional Platinum Card® Members may receive up to a total of $200 in statement credits each calendar year, across all Cards on the Account, when using their eligible Platinum Card on eligible, prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® and The Hotel Collection bookings made through American Express Travel (meaning through amextravel.com, the Amex® App, or by calling the phone number on the back of your eligible Platinum Card). Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Card Members are not eligible for the benefit. To receive the statement credits, an eligible Card Member must make a new booking using their eligible Platinum Card through American Express Travel on or after July 1st, 2021, that is prepaid (referred to as "Pay Now" on amextravel.com and the Amex App), for a qualifying stay at an available, participating Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection property. Bookings of The Hotel Collection require a minimum stay of two consecutive nights. Eligible bookings must be made before December 31st, 11:59PM Central Time, each calendar year to be eligible for statement credits within that year. Statement credits may not be received or may be reversed if the booking is cancelled or modified.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 6:18 am

I think the previous targeted $200 Travel credit and the new permanent benefit are two different things and yes, you could use both in 2021.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:33 am

I was targeted with the $200 Travel Credit last year and haven’t used the credit yet. Can I stack it with the new $200 Hotel Credit to book a +$400 hotel stay at a FHR or THC booked through AMEX travel? Will it trigger both credits for this one reservation?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by skianan
I was targeted with the $200 Travel Credit last year and haven’t used the credit yet. Can I stack it with the new $200 Hotel Credit to book a +$400 hotel stay at a FHR or THC booked through AMEX travel? Will it trigger both credits for this one reservation?
I get this popup when I log into Amex travel:

Obviously implies stacking of the credits. I will use this in Vegas
mia likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by skianan
.... Can I stack it with the new $200 Hotel Credit ....
Note that the same question was asked two posts before yours. It's too soon to know for certain. It is reasonable to think that these are separate benefits because the terms are different, and Adelphos's reply adds strong evidence, but until we have usage reports we will not know how American Express' software processes them.

Last edited by mia; Jul 4, 2021 at 8:57 am
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mia
Note that the same question was asked two posts before yours. It's too soon to know for certain. It is reasonable to think that these are separate benefits because the terms are different, and Adelphos's reply adds strong evidence, but until we have usage reports we will not know how American Express' software processes them.
‘Pretty definitive:

mia and friedablass like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:10 pm
kyh

Thank you to Adelphos and mia that responded. I guess the $200 travel meter shown in the benefits page threw me off a little.

I can confirm the following:

If you have NOT used both the $200 travel credit (FHR, Airline etc. through Amex Travel) during the January 2021 to June 2021 period, you will have a total of $400 in travel credits (the $200 Travel Credit + $200 hotel credit) to be used from July 2021 to December 2021:

This is the popup shown as well after clicking on to this:

For those who want to check on their eligibility:

Login to your Amex Account > Benefits > New $200 Hotel Benefits > Book Now

You will be redirected to their travel booking page and the "Checking Eligibility" message will be shown:

After which, a pop-up will be shown to show how much of a total credit you have for this year. If you have not used the targeted $200 FHR travel credit earlier this year, you will get a total of $200 travel credit + $200 hotel credit (which can be combined/stacked as per Amex Q&A).

Clicking on the Learn More link will bring you to this summary:
https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...-travel-credit

If you have USED the the $200 FHR travel credit during the January 2021 to June 2021 period, you will have the $200 hotel credit to be used from July 2021 to December 2021:

Last edited by kyh; Jul 5, 2021 at 3:01 am
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Just to clarify, the $200 targeted Travel credit received during the month of your card renewal and valid through 12/31/21 is NOT specifically for FHR, so I suggest removing that from your post because it will just confuse people. You can use it for anything booked via Amex travel. I used it on airfare. Others have used it at hotels, not necessarily FHR.

The NEW $200 hotel credit that went into effect 7/1 is specifically only for FHR or THC bookings made via Amex travel. If you book one of those and haven't yet used your targeted general $200 credit, you will be able to combine to get a total of $400 credit by 12/31.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:47 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Wasn't expecting it but a $50 charge on air canada (reward flight) also triggered the credit refund.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
The NEW $200 hotel credit that went into effect 7/1 is specifically only for FHR or THC bookings made via Amex travel. If you book one of those and haven't yet used your targeted general $200 credit, you will be able to combine to get a total of $400 credit by 12/31.
Here's a nuance I didn't expect. I made a one-night pre-paid booking at an FHR a few days ago. I hadn't used any of my $200 general travel credit or $200 FHR credit yet. Total cost of the booking was $219.24, and indeed, I see a single charge on July 8 for $219.24 with the description "AMEX FINE HOTELS RES800-297-2977 WA". I wasn't sure whether the travel credit would kick in for $200 and the FHR credit would kick in for $19.24, or if it would be vice-versa. But what I didn't expect was to see two $200 credits! Both credits were dated July 11 and both had the description "AMEX FINE HOTELS RESCHICAGO".

So as it currently stands, I've actually made $180 from this booking. Is this correct and expected? Or is it a mistake, perhaps because they're still ironing out the kinks with the FHR credit? I guess if it's a mistake, it may be automatically corrected in the near future, but in the meantime, I'm now unsure which credit has been used up and which is still available. I'm reluctant to call in and ask about it because if it is a mistake, they may want to manually correct it after I point it out.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
These credits should have meters so check yours. What do they each say? That you've fully used them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.