Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2021, 6:11 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Has anyone received the credit when booking a rental car with the pay later option? It doesn't seem to be excluded, but I'd hate to invest hours chasing the credit...
Old Mar 21, 2021, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by moe8555
Has anyone received the credit when booking a rental car with the pay later option? It doesn't seem to be excluded...
This benefit requires a payment to AmEx Travel. Payment "later" would be to a car rental place.
dhuey, happychic and Pocatello like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by MaxVO
This benefit requires a payment to AmEx Travel. Payment "later" would be to a car rental place.
Thanks, you are correct (confirmed with a phone representative).
They should make that much clearer in the fine print...
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Adding a DP and a gripe.

Just booked a hotel stay via amextravel for late July. T&Cs are pretty vague on whether post-pay is eligible or not, so I booked a refundable pre-pay.
That's all fine, but now I can't enter my IHG number because "lowest rate guarantee bookings are not required to provide loyalty program benefits." A bit frustrating, but I guess I'm also getting 5X points and have no status with IHG.

So..it's fine, and I'll report back when I get the credit, but the loyalty program thing was kind of annoying.

Also, travel dates have since changed (nothing to do with Amex), so this DP will turn into one that also includes a change in the reservation.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: United, Amex plat
I got both the travel credit and the airline credit automatically upon buying United travel bank credits. So for $200 in travel bank purchases, I received $400 in credits!

It’s in addition to airline credit.

Purchased two $100 travel bank credits, and was immediately credited back $400, $200 for United travel credit and $200 for platinum travel credit.
imnotalawyer likes this.

Last edited by mia; Mar 23, 2021 at 8:05 pm Reason: Please do not post the same information in more than one thread.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 1:41 pm

Edit: Whoops other folks are reporting the same "issue", so it seems I am not alone.

I ran into a really weird issue with this credit... a United TravelBank purchase triggered it.

In early December I made a $102 purchase on AmexTravel and shortly afterwards received a corresponding credit. When the new year rolled around I made $200 in UA TravelBank purchases (obviously directly through UA). I received the full standard $200 Airline Fee credit and the remainder of the one-time $200 COVID AmexTravel was also credited to me at $98.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32961533-post859.html

I had originally posted about this in the UA thread back in January because I was perplexed as to why I had received the $98 on top of the $200. I didn't make the UA purchases through AmexTravel, so it didn't even occur to me that it might have triggered that but at the very least the math adds up.

In February I made another AmexTravel purchase and I had been expecting the $98 to post for that. I asked in chat about that and the CSR referred me back to the United purchase... at the end of the day I am whole (I have received my $200 credit one way or the other) but it is bizarre to me that the TravelBank purchase tripped this.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 2:00 pm

Yes, I think same thing happened with me, as I did not even get the credit by booking through American Express Travel. Evidently, the travel bank purchases are triggering both credits at once! I didn’t even have to use the AMEX travel portal at all.
MaxVO and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by LillaSnow
Purchased two $100 travel bank credits, and was immediately credited back $400, $200 for United travel credit and $200 for platinum travel credit.
Interesting. I see you booked a car through Amex Travel. The only other DP like this was also somebody who'd made a purchase through Amex Travel. Makes me wonder if somehow a purchase through Amex Travel makes your next $200 in travel purchases eligible for the credit regardless of of where the purchase is made. I've seen other people get the credit attached to purchases that were different than the one they made through Amex Travel.
mia likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Annual fee billed March 18 and I've been trying to figure out how to know if I've been "targeted" for this. There's been nothing in AMEX Offers and I can't see any mention of it in the Travel portion on my account. How did the rest of you find out this was available to you - just make a reservation in AMEX Travel? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by MellieAZ
Annual fee billed March 18 and I've been trying to figure out how to know if I've been "targeted" for this. There's been nothing in AMEX Offers and I can't see any mention of it in the Travel portion on my account. How did the rest of you find out this was available to you - just make a reservation in AMEX Travel? Thanks in advance.
For me a tracker just appeared on the homepage when I logged in. This happened about 1-2 months after card anniversary
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MellieAZ
The "tracker" shows up on the bottom right side of your Plat page.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 8:56 pm

Travel Bank and Amex Travel

Originally Posted by time_stamp
Interesting. I see you booked a car through Amex Travel. The only other DP like this was also somebody who'd made a purchase through Amex Travel. Makes me wonder if somehow a purchase through Amex Travel makes your next $200 in travel purchases eligible for the credit regardless of of where the purchase is made. I've seen other people get the credit attached to purchases that were different than the one they made through Amex Travel.
I did also make a booking through Amex Travel but received the credit before I paid for that, so not sure what going on! I thought I would receive the credit for that booking, but turns out it was attached beforehand to the previous purchase of travel bank. All four $100 credits came through on same day, two saying United Airlines Houston and two saying AMEX Airline fee reimbursement. I’m baffled...
Old Mar 23, 2021, 9:15 pm

I read about it on some forum and then called AMEX to make sure I was eligible. They said yes.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Adding a DP and a gripe.
Just booked a hotel stay via amextravel for late July. T&Cs are pretty vague on whether post-pay is eligible or not, so I booked a refundable pre-pay.
That's all fine, but now I can't enter my IHG number because "lowest rate guarantee bookings are not required to provide loyalty program benefits." A bit frustrating, but I guess I'm also getting 5X points and have no status with IHG.

So..it's fine, and I'll report back when I get the credit, but the loyalty program thing was kind of annoying.

Also, travel dates have since changed (nothing to do with Amex), so this DP will turn into one that also includes a change in the reservation.
post pay wouldnt count for the credit. thats paying the hotel. unless you are paying a deposit to amex first, prepay is the way to go for 5x MR.

also, i dont understand your IHG number issue. just call amex. call the hotel. or do it at checkin. as for IHG loyalty pts and recognition, its YMMV. be prepared to get nothing and be told stupid info. you should get some points, elite night credit and other benefits, but prepay booking via amex is like any other OTA ie non-qualifying rate
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by LillaSnow
I got both the travel credit and the airline credit automatically upon buying United travel bank credits. So for $200 in travel bank purchases, I received $400 in credits!

It’s in addition to airline credit.

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Edit: Whoops other folks are reporting the same "issue", so it seems I am not alone.

I ran into a really weird issue with this credit... a United TravelBank purchase triggered it.

In early December I made a $102 purchase on AmexTravel and shortly afterwards received a corresponding credit. When the new year rolled around I made $200 in UA TravelBank purchases (obviously directly through UA). I received the full standard $200 Airline Fee credit and the remainder of the one-time $200 COVID AmexTravel was also credited to me at $98.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32961533-post859.html

I had originally posted about this in the UA thread back in January because I was perplexed as to why I had received the $98 on top of the $200. I didn't make the UA purchases through AmexTravel, so it didn't even occur to me that it might have triggered that but at the very least the math adds up.

In February I made another AmexTravel purchase and I had been expecting the $98 to post for that. I asked in chat about that and the CSR referred me back to the United purchase... at the end of the day I am whole (I have received my $200 credit one way or the other) but it is bizarre to me that the TravelBank purchase tripped this.
this is ripe for amex clawback. i wouldnt risk it. i would make an additional $200+ amex travel booking to compensate for the glitch. we all know what happened to the Dell double dip. but this double dip isnt even valid. UA TB has nothing to do with amex travel prepay bookings. its an interesting coding glitch, but i already know what amex RAT will do 10 years from now after you had closed your account and also died. they will send your children a warrant and a subpoena.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.