Centurion Card (UK)

Old May 29, 2019, 4:42 am
  #76  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Posts: 2,606
Originally Posted by Sohan
Do you have the platinum card or another one?
the cashback one only. And a green ICC dollar card I've never used yet.
BobbySteel is offline  
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:18 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: BA GGL CCR
Posts: 87
I have centurion and coutts. I nearly always use the coutts card overseas to avoid the amex fx charge the only exceptions would be if to secure hotel benefits I need to pay with a centurion card.

The amex benefits are a bit mixed - they keep a fee tables permanently reserved at a handful of restaurants until 12.00 on the day ( I think ), some of the hotel benefits are good ( MO stands out ) but the club benefits are pretty ( IMO ) worthless - any of the clubs that you would want to get into they can't - 5 Hertford Street, Oswald's etc but they are better than Coutts which is outsourced to 10. One surprising thing is that they can come up with some really good deals on air fares - air france premier was significantly better than anything I could find.

Some of the experiences can be mixed too - I did an orient express dinner that was terrible.
137677 is offline  
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:27 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Posts: 2,606
Originally Posted by 137677
I have centurion and coutts. I nearly always use the coutts card overseas to avoid the amex fx charge the only exceptions would be if to secure hotel benefits I need to pay with a centurion card.

The amex benefits are a bit mixed - they keep a fee tables permanently reserved at a handful of restaurants until 12.00 on the day ( I think ), some of the hotel benefits are good ( MO stands out ) but the club benefits are pretty ( IMO ) worthless - any of the clubs that you would want to get into they can't - 5 Hertford Street, Oswald's etc but they are better than Coutts which is outsourced to 10. One surprising thing is that they can come up with some really good deals on air fares - air france premier was significantly better than anything I could find.

Some of the experiences can be mixed too - I did an orient express dinner that was terrible.
interesting re Coutts besides the forex are there any advantages it had?
BobbySteel is offline  
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:09 pm
  #79  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Posts: 1,382
Originally Posted by 137677
I have centurion and coutts. I nearly always use the coutts card overseas to avoid the amex fx charge.
For a card of that cost and stature (Centurion), you don't think there's a way to get an FX fee waiver with enough persistance/threats to cancel?
moe8555 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:22 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: BA GGL CCR
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by BobbySteel

interesting re Coutts besides the forex are there any advantages it had?

Coutts Silk Card is now free ( you used to have to spend 50,000 ) to earn out the fee, there is a reward scheme of sorts which is in the process of being relaunched. At the moment if you spend 75,000 you can redeem the points for a bottle of Dom Perignon P2!

It really is just a charge card that sits alongside your bank account - you can't get the card if you don't bank with coutts. So if such things matter it is arguably in the UK smarter than Centurion.
137677 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:54 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Posts: 2,606
Got my first Centurion card in last week. So far the concierge is at least pretty good it seems and responds quickly over email which was a big concern for me. The airline and car benefits aren't too useful but I'm hopeful that with flights they will come in handy with complex itineraries. Strangely though for a new York hotel the fhr site had a cheaper price for the same hotel as the concierge pulled. Slightly worrisome.
BobbySteel is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:59 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangkok
Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 553
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Got my first Centurion card in last week. So far the concierge is at least pretty good it seems and responds quickly over email which was a big concern for me. The airline and car benefits aren't too useful but I'm hopeful that with flights they will come in handy with complex itineraries. Strangely though for a new York hotel the fhr site had a cheaper price for the same hotel as the concierge pulled. Slightly worrisome.
I usually check americanexpressfhr.com first, then call in. A few times on the call, there's been a 3rd night free or something that wasn't listed on the website.
Sohan is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:34 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 66
I’ve been trying to get a centurion card but I find it tough to physically spend the required cash ... as a new parent my social life is pretty dead. Other than luxury items like watches and furniture my options are limited. In 2019 I have spent 95k on a car but the dealer wouldn’t take Amex. I bought a small tourer for 15k and they also wouldn’t take the card.

I’m spending 25k on new windows imminently but I’ll be shocked if they take Amex!
ubiquitous1984 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:40 am
  #84  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 10,709
Originally Posted by ubiquitous1984
Ive been trying to get a centurion card but I find it tough to physically spend the required cash ... as a new parent my social life is pretty dead. Other than luxury items like watches and furniture my options are limited. In 2019 I have spent 95k on a car but the dealer wouldnt take Amex. I bought a small tourer for 15k and they also wouldnt take the card.

Im spending 25k on new windows imminently but Ill be shocked if they take Amex!
But Amazon takes amex if your house is like my house, amazon is a regular visitor. It all adds up each month.

With my accounts I spend, well my wife does, amex on products. Then I use the membership rewards points for my mum and sister. They have an account on a amex credit card, and spend my points generated on amazon.

There are dealers who will take amex you need to search for them, first on the amex website then onto the dealer themselves.

(wait until you get a mistress) You could just be nice and buy your wife a necklace instead.
origin is offline  
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:33 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by origin
But Amazon takes amex if your house is like my house, amazon is a regular visitor. It all adds up each month.

With my accounts I spend, well my wife does, amex on products. Then I use the membership rewards points for my mum and sister. They have an account on a amex credit card, and spend my points generated on amazon.

There are dealers who will take amex you need to search for them, first on the amex website then onto the dealer themselves.

(wait until you get a mistress) You could just be nice and buy your wife a necklace instead.
I try to use my amex as a debit card replacement, so amazon etc take a beating with it!

I had good news today in that I can pay for the new windows with Amex ... the bad news is that its 5k more than expected (or perhaps I should view that as good news in my quest for a Centurion invite!)

origin likes this.
ubiquitous1984 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:17 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangkok
Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 553
I have had spend into 7 figures into my personal and business cards, and never received an invite. I wouldn't pay extra just to put charges onto your card in hopes of an invite.

We're currently looking for alternatives to shift our spend away since most of our spend incurs the 3% FX fee (amex probably makes a good 5 figures a year in those commissions) and not even remotely close to an invite it seems.

I think the best bet is either go thru a private bank route if you really want one and pay the slightly higher fees, or just spend in the most cost effective way using your cards and hope for the best with a request on your account.

Last edited by Sohan; Jul 19, 2019 at 6:26 am
Sohan is offline  
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:21 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SE England
Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by 137677
I have centurion and coutts. I nearly always use the coutts card overseas to avoid the amex fx charge the only exceptions would be if to secure hotel benefits I need to pay with a centurion card.

The amex benefits are a bit mixed - they keep a fee tables permanently reserved at a handful of restaurants until 12.00 on the day ( I think ), some of the hotel benefits are good ( MO stands out ) but the club benefits are pretty ( IMO ) worthless - any of the clubs that you would want to get into they can't - 5 Hertford Street, Oswald's etc but they are better than Coutts which is outsourced to 10. One surprising thing is that they can come up with some really good deals on air fares - air france premier was significantly better than anything I could find.

Some of the experiences can be mixed too - I did an orient express dinner that was terrible.
Assuming MO = Mandarin Oriental. I wasn't aware of any Centurion benefits with Mandarin Oriental. Can you elaborate, or link to official info please?

mradey
mradey is offline  
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:24 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: London
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by YClass
I use Amex for international too (too lazy). I get the maths why I shouldnt but I value insurance, benefits and points. Coutts points kind of worthless.

As noted above in my post you want to probably show >300k annual income and they probably ask for proof. So if earn 50k but charge 500k through expenses you wont pass the credit check necessarily. Amex wants to know you can cover their high credit lines when push comes to shove.
Interesting as I always thought Amex was more interested in spending power than income. Perhaps things have changed. When I got my Centurion card in 1999 my income was less than 3k per month. I had the Platinum for 2 years before and was spending about 10k per month.
Vijian is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:04 am
  #89  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 38,000 feet
Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Posts: 6,360
I have been spending 15k a month on platinum and another 10k a month on BA PP Amex for the past half year, but still no invite
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:28 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Posts: 2,606
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have been spending 15k a month on platinum and another 10k a month on BA PP Amex for the past half year, but still no invite
my invite came right after opening an ICC card with similar spend.
BobbySteel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.