Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Card (UK)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:58 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
The Dollar and Euro cards are separate accounts, not add-ons to a Sterling account. If you would use the Dollar card to pay for airline tickets and other travel expenses it might be worth applying for an IDC Platinum card ($550/year) for the travel insurance, but otherwise I would go for IDC Green card ($100/year).
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Great thanks for the advice one hopes that the insurances etc still apply if those cards are used. Useful again today as my wife was booted off three trains in Germany trying to get to Dusseldorf to fly home in the knowledge that Axa would just cough up for any new flights so quite calm
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
If you have the UK card and need to spend a lot of USD it may be worth just migrating your centurion card to the USA since that card has no FX fees. So you can use it in GBP at the same rate, then all USD at no mark up and just settle in USD using wise.com or something or just from your USD account if you hold USD as well.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:41 am

Hey Guys, am I here alone thinking to give up after 14 years of AMEX and 8 with Centurion?
Benefits have not changed in years, I recently got the main one stuck in the ATM and got a new one that is plastic (bye bye titanium).?
The free events are ridiculous, I think we have an average spending of £ 200k a year and the events get fully booked in a second with no possibility.
After almost 15 years they know me better than anybody else but still they can't figure out what I like and what my hobbies are.
I'm honestly thinking to go back to a basic one, at the end o the day I can keep the same level of spending, using the MR's and my life without a relationship mngr is the same.

D
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Sohan
If you have the UK card and need to spend a lot of USD it may be worth just migrating your centurion card to the USA since that card has no FX fees. So you can use it in GBP at the same rate, then all USD at no mark up and just settle in USD using wise.com or something or just from your USD account if you hold USD as well.
Would I not need to be USA based ? Are there no residence rules for that ?

Thanks for the tip
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Denny787
Hey Guys, am I here alone thinking to give up after 14 years of AMEX and 8 with Centurion?
Benefits have not changed in years, I recently got the main one stuck in the ATM and got a new one that is plastic (bye bye titanium).?
The free events are ridiculous, I think we have an average spending of £ 200k a year and the events get fully booked in a second with no possibility.
After almost 15 years they know me better than anybody else but still they can't figure out what I like and what my hobbies are.
I'm honestly thinking to go back to a basic one, at the end o the day I can keep the same level of spending, using the MR's and my life without a relationship mngr is the same.

D
Lol you'd likely get a card with better MR earning haha
Old Nov 27, 2021, 10:33 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Would I not need to be USA based ? ....
You would need to have some connection to the USA, and the Global Transfers program does not include converting a foreign Centurion to a USA Centurion. You may find THIS post helpful for context.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum

D
Pretty disappointing. I recently switched to the US card from GBP and service has been night-and-day. Example: I called the number on the back of the card to change a travel reservation. After some quick banter, the woman realized she was “in my pod.” It became all about “how nice to meet you, tell me more about you, welcome to Centurion, etc.” And it’s brilliant, they wait on hold for me: “Sir, the online travel team is backed up right now. Why don’t I call you back when I get them on the line?” Brilliant. Actual service that cares about my time. That kind of service never happened in the UK, where half the time it felt like they were doing me a favor by just talking to me.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: Centurion BA GGL IHG Diamond

D
I would hold out till the UK does there relaunch next year and see what new benefits they offer. I’m told the relaunch is relatively inanimate
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You would need to have some connection to the USA, and the Global Transfers program does not include converting a foreign Centurion to a USA Centurion. You may find THIS post helpful for context.
Wow OK so am not nearly even contemplating that level of spending so I'll go hide away again lol, though am surprised by the numbers discussed there and their need to run after their points to such a degree especially when premium classes on Avios are like finding hen's teeth
Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Pretty disappointing. I recently switched to the US card from GBP and service has been night-and-day. Example: I called the number on the back of the card to change a travel reservation. After some quick banter, the woman realized she was “in my pod.” It became all about “how nice to meet you, tell me more about you, welcome to Centurion, etc.” And it’s brilliant, they wait on hold for me: “Sir, the online travel team is backed up right now. Why don’t I call you back when I get them on the line?” Brilliant. Actual service that cares about my time. That kind of service never happened in the UK, where half the time it felt like they were doing me a favor by just talking to me.
Since the recent change to the pod system I am feeling a very similar take on the service, really a roll of the dice as to whether the person who answers the phone has a clue or not. Got one last week who was fantastic and a great chat as we went into detail of an itinerary and she found a couple of real gem options. Called back to change one date and had done the research already re space and cost online before calling, took forty minutes for a truly simple change - by chance my old assistant was in the car and pointed out that my old RM would have taken the info and done it all offline with informed consent that I'd already accepted the charges and only called back with an issue - whole call would have been two mins absolute max due to extended hello goodbye
mradey likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:50 am

A bit Micawberish. I used my £400 restaurant spend in the Ivy in Cheltenham on December 30th. Was going to use it in Italy but had a touch of Mussolini's Revenge at the time. £406 bill (with an expensive but disappointing Burgundy). Felt much more satisfying though than a £395 bill would have. I wonder why?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:53 pm

Did anyone else receive an email today from their relationship manager informing that there would now be a team of people looking after you?

looks like we are officially moving to the much maligned USA Centurion setup.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:31 pm
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by ubiquitous1984
Did anyone else receive an email today from their relationship manager informing that there would now be a team of people looking after you?

looks like we are officially moving to the much maligned USA Centurion setup.
I had the email and received a follow up call. I was led to believe it’s a positive thing. I’d be retaining my RM who would be more pro-active reaching out with things. But the team would be there for longer hours, to help with more routine things. Apparently changing because we’re travelling less given Covid, so they are finding new ways to “enhance” Centurion.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: Various
Not sure why they are rolling this out to the UK - the service level with it in the US is poor (and since it has rolled out, I am on my third 'Membership Executive' and associated team in just over two years since the model was launched., and I still lean on my UK RM to handle tasks because the US team just seemed incapable of the basics. Not sure who thought this new model was a good idea - my only thought is that vast majority of US customers did not have a RM in prior model, I only got one because I had a RM in the UK (who has been on my account since Titanium refresh in 2008 and is an asset to the company). Still waiting for a call from my new UK assigned 'Membership Executive' - will give them benefit of the doubt, but they have a high bar to meet given the service my prior UK RM has provided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.