Search

Centurion Card (UK)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Centurion Card (UK)

Originally Posted by jgsx

You cannot transfer a foreign Centurion to a USA Centurion. The other way works though (USA Centurion to foreign Centurion through global transfer).
There is a forum thread on Global Transfers which concurs with this. Plat can transfer (though obviously still need to meet the general criteria) but Centurion and IEC/IDC cannot (non-US to US).

Haven't seen much on intra-Europe experiences so don't know about e.g. Germany->UK.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringmeister01
Personal card sir. The last 2 years have been high spending from getting engaged, having a destination wedding, moving and buying furniture... all put on the Platnium. When I have called to ask for an invite the representative always says "well you meet the spending requirements.."

I just want the bragging rights of the card. Im lame like that.
While I have no idea how it actually works, it does look like overall spend should be in the right ball-park, but not sure what goes into "Merchandise & Supplies". That said, even if you take out the two lumpy purchases you mention you have $600k+ spend. They do like to see a sustained level of spending (not one-off) and continued use of CTS (FHR), concierge etc. (i.e. high level travel, entertainment/dining and luxury purchases). My guess would be that if you continue like this you will get offered one fairly soon.

Still amazes me that in the US you can buy a G-Wagon on an Amex. Wish could do that in the UK (without having to pay $10k for the privilege). Also at $1m+ spend at Cartier you must be one of their more important clients and get attention much greater than Amex will ever give you! Your other half (or you) must have some spectacular pieces.....
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ringmeister01
After the review a limit was placed on my card of $75,000/month. I found this to be ridiculous but there was no way to get back on the no pre-set spend.
They all have a limit. Even on mine if I breach around $150k in any month I get a call kindly asking to pay it down or provide financial information to apply for extended credit. I'm not in the business of giving out my personal financial details unless absolutely necessary, so I choose to just pay down and it immediately opens up.

Like I said - they want to see extended use of the card at high spend levels. One off spikes, expenditure not typical of your noted income level, or no financial filings to back up your earnings/expedniture its unlikely they'll extend credit. Though I'm not sure why you wouldn't qualify in general. Continue spending, make sure don't miss payments, have high FICO score (I understand this is the measure in the US) and be prepared to prove income. I recall having to prove my income at the time. I can't 100% recall but I think that I showed my P60 for prior year, which in the UK is an official statement of annual earnings from my employer (shows income and taxes paid). Certainly UK Amex wants to see that [income] at a sufficient level. I think also showing a current account with steady income (e.g. employer/business) and sustained cash level of say $100k+ will make them more comfortable. The issue is why would anyone keep more than a few k in a current account, so you probably need to show savings accounts with accessible cash if not the former.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator translation service

Originally Posted by YClass
... current account...
= checking account in Americenglish.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rickie Cruz
Expected exactly the same. From what I understand, if they reach out to you and call you to invite you, you are technically approved already. It simply takes you to accept the terms. I don't see how it could even be a possibility that they invite you, you accept, and you don't get approved. The buzz behind that would not be good lol. Being that guy that got invited to the red carpet event and now you cant get in lol.
It was a while ago, but I had the same. And I had to send 3m bank statements. Invite, then new credit and criteria checks, then issue. I wouldn't worry. I had to FedEx some docs from US to UK IIRC. Seems silly but its probably just regulatory/KYC more than anything else. I wouldn't be concerned....
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:22 pm

Hi all. I just joined. Been reading the forums and glad to be part of the community.

I am in in the UK and got invited to Centurion this month. The invitation came by post in a black square envelope. The envelope contained a letter basically saying they are delighted to take this opportunity to invite me to Centurion. The letter outlines the fees and closes with the comment that this is an exclusive invite and I have 30 days to join and that I have to email them to start the application process. I do not have any other Amex chargecards but I do have a airline miles points card that I use.

Also included was a brochure summarising the key benefits. To be frank it is not fully clear. I have searched without much luck for a thread that summarises the UK benefits. Can people point me to any such thread or website please ?

The main questions I have are around additional cards :

1. Do I have to pay another fee for my wife to also have a Centurion card?
2. How many supplemental cards can I have (platinum / gold etc)? Was thinking of giving cards to my sons who are junior adults now.
3. The travel insurance applies to all cards on my account including the cards I may give to my boys?
4. Is the travel insurance only valid for bookings paid for on those Amex cards or applies to everything regardless of payment method (like a regular travel insurance policy?

Thank you.

Last edited by ragsk; Jan 29, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ragsk
Hi all. I just joined. Been reading the forums and glad to be part of the community.

I am in in the UK and got invited to Centurion this month. The invitation came by post in a black square envelope. The envelope contained a letter basically saying they are delighted to take this opportunity to invite me to Centurion. The letter outlines the fees and closes with the comment that this is an exclusive invite and I have 30 days to join and that I have to email them to start the application process. I do not have any other Amex chargecard but I do have a airline miles points card that I use.

Also included was a brochure summarising the key benefits. To be frank it is not fully clear. I have searched without much luck for a thread that summarises the UK benefits. Can people point me to any such thread or website please ?

The main questions I have are around additional cards :

2. How many supplemental cards can I have (platinum / gold etc)? Was thinking of giving cards to my sons who are junior adults now.
3. The travel insurance applies to all cards on my account including the cards I may give to my boys?
4. Is the travel insurance only valid for bookings paid for on those Amex cards or applies to everything regardless of payment method (like a regular travel insurance policy?

Thank you.
Ditto, received it very unexpectedly this morning especially as they've supposedly not sent them out in the UK for some years !
So little info out there on the UK ones I've generated quite a list of questions as many have said not to bother and just keep the Platinum
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Ditto, received it very unexpectedly this morning especially as they've supposedly not sent them out in the UK for some years !
So little info out there on the UK ones I've generated quite a list of questions as many have said not to bother and just keep the Platinum
I don't have a platinum or gold card so even harder for me to compare.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ragsk

Thank you.
1. No fee. 1 additional Ti card and the rest lower tier cards. Can pay for additional Centurion cards if you want.
2. Quite a few, likely enough for your family. Can pay for additional Centurion cards if you want over and above the Primary and Supplementary and Additional Card (plastic).
3. Insurance applies to immediate family and supplementary card holders. Just google what Plat card has an assume Cent is is similar but improved e.g. with higher thresholds etc.
4. All costs covered. In my experience better to pay with Amex anyway as then everything is checked more easily, but its like any other insurance. Managed by AXA who are generally pretty good.

There is a thread somewhere on here with a comprehensive list of the benefits. But to summarise what I can remember:

Airlines: VS, EK Gold
Hotels: Melia, Hilton, Intercon, Shangri-La, R&C top tiers, SPG/Marriott, Club Carlsson mid-tier
Car Hire: Avis, Hertz top tiers
Personal Account Manager at some spend threshold. Acts as Concierge/Travel Agent in working hours.
Access to special Cent events and above some threshold priority access/extra special comp events just for high level Cent.
Comp access to certain London members clubs/discounts to join. Same goes for some night-club access.
Access to Centurion hotels and restaurants programs giving priority access for tables/special deals for rooms.
A bunch of other things I can't remember e.g. online shopping benefits (VIP at Net-a-Porter that kind of thing).

People on here will be interested to know: how much were you spending per year on your cards before getting invited, what cards did you have before and for how long, what were you spending on, anything else useful to know. Surprising to hear that you were not using a Plat Card before as that has been the typical path to an invite. Have the fees for Cent remained the same?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Various
1. For the standard 2200GBP annual fee, you get 3 actual Centurion cards
- two are for you as the 'basic' cardholder; one in Titanium and an AC (Additional Card) in plastic which in theory is so you can separate personal and business spend. I use one for online purchases and one for cardholder present purchases
- one additional primary supp card in Ti for someone of your choice
2. You then get by standard up to 4 additional supplementary cards in your choice of Platinum, Gold or Green. You can pay for additional cards beyond this.
3. The travel insurance applies to anyone that has a card, plus their spouse/domestic partner and their children (I recall it goes a little higher for age limit if they are in higher education). So for example, my sibling is one of my supplementary cardholders so he has a Platinum card, but it is him, his wife and his child that are all covered via the insurance.
4. Travel doesn't have to be booked or paid via AmEx.

There is a guide here: https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...umentation.pdf
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RichardMannion
...4 additional supplementary cards in your choice of Platinum, Gold or Green.....
Would the supplementary Platinum cardholders on a Centurion account receive the same benefits (e.g. lounge access; airline, hotel, car rental status) as a stand alone UK-issued Platinum card account?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by YClass
1. No fee. 1 additional Ti card and the rest lower tier cards. Can pay for additional Centurion cards if you want.
2. Quite a few, likely enough for your family. Can pay for additional Centurion cards if you want over and above the Primary and Supplementary and Additional Card (plastic).
3. Insurance applies to immediate family and supplementary card holders. Just google what Plat card has an assume Cent is is similar but improved e.g. with higher thresholds etc.
4. All costs covered. In my experience better to pay with Amex anyway as then everything is checked more easily, but its like any other insurance. Managed by AXA who are generally pretty good.

There is a thread somewhere on here with a comprehensive list of the benefits. But to summarise what I can remember:

Airlines: VS, EK Gold
Hotels: Melia, Hilton, Intercon, Shangri-La, R&C top tiers, SPG/Marriott, Club Carlsson mid-tier
Car Hire: Avis, Hertz top tiers
Personal Account Manager at some spend threshold. Acts as Concierge/Travel Agent in working hours.
Access to special Cent events and above some threshold priority access/extra special comp events just for high level Cent.
Comp access to certain London members clubs/discounts to join. Same goes for some night-club access.
Access to Centurion hotels and restaurants programs giving priority access for tables/special deals for rooms.
A bunch of other things I can't remember e.g. online shopping benefits (VIP at Net-a-Porter that kind of thing).

People on here will be interested to know: how much were you spending per year on your cards before getting invited, what cards did you have before and for how long, what were you spending on, anything else useful to know. Surprising to hear that you were not using a Plat Card before as that has been the typical path to an invite. Have the fees for Cent remained the same?

Thank you. The fees are £2,200 PA and £3,000 joining.

I have never owned a Platinum Card but do a have a Gold Corporate which I don't use that much. All the expenditure on my airline card is personal expense. I put things like watches, holidays, flights, shopping etc on it where feasible.

I didn't solicit the black card - I had heard about it years ago but never thought anything of it until this invite came through. I am not interested in the prestige of having it, just that it is appropriate for me and I can avail its benefits properly. Hence my queries. I spoke to Amex today and they were incredibly helpful and patient - they have confirmed what you have said on the insurance etc so thank you for that !
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by RichardMannion
1. For the standard 2200GBP annual fee, you get 3 actual Centurion cards
- two are for you as the 'basic' cardholder; one in Titanium and an AC (Additional Card) in plastic which in theory is so you can separate personal and business spend. I use one for online purchases and one for cardholder present purchases
- one additional primary supp card in Ti for someone of your choice
2. You then get by standard up to 4 additional supplementary cards in your choice of Platinum, Gold or Green. You can pay for additional cards beyond this.
3. The travel insurance applies to anyone that has a card, plus their spouse/domestic partner and their children (I recall it goes a little higher for age limit if they are in higher education). So for example, my sibling is one of my supplementary cardholders so he has a Platinum card, but it is him, his wife and his child that are all covered via the insurance.
4. Travel doesn't have to be booked or paid via AmEx.
Thank you Richard. All confirmed by Amex
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Would the supplementary Platinum cardholders on a Centurion account receive the same benefits (e.g. lounge access; airline, hotel, car rental status) as a stand alone UK-issued Platinum card account?
Yep an interested in the answer to this as well. Didnt ask Amex !

I would have thought a Platinum card would be just that ie include all normal Platinum benefits ?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Various
It varies - lounge access yes (Centurion Lounges, Delta, Eurostar), some of the other items like car/hotel status no but then it depends on which one. It can get silly, as an example Virgin Gold is meant to be for main cardholder but I'm already lifetime Gold so I had to mess around to have it allocated to another person on my account.

If you want additional Centurion cards beyond the standard 3 (2+1), they are 1100GBP per year.

This is the text on the UK Centurion portal right now for hotel status:
Furthermore, as a Centurion member, you and your first Supplementary Centurion member will be fast-tracked to the higher tiers of leading loyalty programmes around the world - without having to fulfil the usual qualifying criteria, such as numerous nights stays each year. Enrolment is required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.